Calling buttons to appear at the same time as dialogue

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
fallinwinterzero

Calling buttons to appear at the same time as dialogue

#1 Post by fallinwinterzero »

Is there a way to use the call screen feature to make a button appear at the same time as the dialogue?

As an example, while the character is asking "Well, now what are we going to do?" and their dialogue shows up on the screen, I also want the two or three buttons with choices to show up while the text is present instead of having them show up after the user clicks and the dialogue box disappears.

I imagine it would be possible to work around it by using the show screen function instead and using hide screen immediately at the beginning of whatever section it jumps to, but is there an easier way to get around this?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Calling buttons to appear at the same time as dialogue

#2 Post by PyTom »

You can write:

Code: Select all

menu:
    name "What are we going to do now?"

"Choice 1":
         # ...

"Choice 2":
         # ...
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

fallinwinterzero

Re: Calling buttons to appear at the same time as dialogue

#3 Post by fallinwinterzero »

Thanks for the help. ^.^

Though when I put the dialogue after the menu: section, the dialogue doesn't show up and only gives you the choices. The way the choice selection works currently is fine, though I am curious whether it's something wrong on my end that isn't making the dialogue appear.

Attached is an example of the dialogue box that appears and the choices it gives while I was testing it out. It just shows these choices and does not show the dialogue it was supposed to before hand.
screenshot0001.png