List of Favorite VN groups

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
applegirl
Veteran

List of Favorite VN groups

#1 Post by applegirl »

I was thinking about visual novel groups that I really like and I realized, my list was pretty short. I happen to automatically download/buy Winter Wolves, Sakevisual, and Zeiva inc. works (and a few free VN groups have caught my eye.) So I was thinking if people could name some visual novel groups that make high quality releases too. If possible, I'd like an example visual novel that made you like the group in the first place. It would be great if it is a lesser known VN group because there are plenty that aren't given the proper recognition.

In no order of preferences (because I like each group equally :))
1. Winter wolves
Visual novel ex: Planet stronghold. While I love basically all their VNs (Always Remember Me, Flowershop, etc.), I remember Planet stronghold as having the best gameplay I've ever seen in a VN. I remember the day I bought the VN and I played it all night, it was fun and I can't praise it enough. For me, it was the VN that made me really feel like I have to get WW's VNs in the future.
2. Sakevisual
Visual novel ex: Re: Allistar, one of my earliest VNs that were OLEVN and one that actually made me laugh and smile a lot more than I ever expected. The writing is fun and enjoyable, everything about it is a great example of an OLEVN.
3. Zeiva Inc.
Visual novel ex: X-note. I really loved the ambiance of the story and the execution was fantastic. I'm eagerly awaiting Dragon Essence and Area-X to cement this VN group onto my favorite list :)
4. Scout
Visual novel ex: Digital. It took me forever to play it, but I loved the ending and I especially loved the creativity/originality. DTIPB was also enjoyable (although the ending left me a little cold, I guess I didn't get the twist as much as I would have liked). I find her work to be very creative and always something I enjoy. I know her next release is commercial, so I'll definitely be getting it :)

A special shout out to 4LS (for KS of course), carosene (for the Cheap and Sacred Thing), clannadman (for Never Lonely Again), and Enerccio (for Songs of Araiah). I'm anticipating adding Doomfest after the release of Cradle Song (<3), but does anyone have a visual novel group I'm missing? There were some groups I have my eye on, but haven't released a completed visual novel yet (Hey there Break Chance Memento, Memoirs of an Angel, Rock Robin, Hakumu-Genshou, Alice Hunt, Dog Dazed, Kaguya-hime, Cradle Song, Shock Cocoon, Long Live the Queen, and Starlight Vega :lol: ). Any recommendations? Commercial or free, I'm always looking for quality groups to add to my list.

EDIT: I should mention, I'd like recommendations for OLEVN groups. I already have JP VN groups whose work I read automatically (Type Moon, etc.). Plus, OLEVN groups tend to be overlooked.
Last edited by applegirl on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: List of Favorite VN groups

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

*psst* Long Live the Queen is being made by Hanako Games (papillon from here), which has a heap of titles under it's belt.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

You forgot Studio63 and MoaCube. And that Frozen Essence (if that was a group).

That's practically everybody in the all-ages/otome EVN scene.

So this list is pretty much pointless to someone who craves and is involved in creating heavily male-targeted works.

I was gonna recommend some folk but it turns out I'm working for them and they're a hentai group. Oh well.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#4 Post by mugenjohncel »

applegirl wrote:Any recommendations? Commercial or free, I'm always looking for quality groups to add to my list.
You forgot "Studio Mugenjohncel" :mrgreen: You cannot have a complete OELVN scene without "Uncle Mugen!"

Uncle Mugen may not be as active as a stand alone dev like the ones in your list but Uncle Mugen is pretty much an active contributor to OELVN projects here and there...

Surely... you have some space reserved in your heart for poor Uncle Mugen (Puppy-eyes)

"POOF" (Hides) :mrgreen:
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#5 Post by Camille »

"Frozen Essence" is a game by Unbroken Hours, which I suppose is technically a group? I think it's mostly run by one person, though. Also, Rock Robin is being done by Happy Backwards, which has released the finished kinetic VN "Rapunzel".
DaFool wrote:So this list is pretty much pointless to someone who craves and is involved in creating heavily male-targeted works.
She did mention a few BxG groups... It's just that it seems she doesn't have as much experience with them, so she started off her list with groups she knows of, which makes sense.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

Camille wrote: She did mention a few BxG groups... It's just that it seems she doesn't have as much experience with them, so she started off her list with groups she knows of, which makes sense.
Groups with the best "marketing departments", I might add. Whereas some of the GxB she lists are just WIP summaries with pretty pictures.

I'm not hating on applegirl... in fact I'll consider it a challenge to make a game one day that will make her do a double-take.

It's just starting this thread is just...awkward, especially since it's not the first time she makes threads like this. It's like a student walking into a staff and teachers lounge during lunch hour and declaring her favorite teachers in front of everyone.

Mirage
Veteran

#7 Post by Mirage »

Nekomura Games and Roseverte. Nekomura has the most down to earth feel that most games here don't have, and Roseverte for having unique storytelling and gameplay.

I also enjoyed Mikey, Azurextwilight, and Taleweaver VNs. (Don't know what their respective group is called if there is one.) The rest I think have already been mentioned here.

@DaFool
I wish I have "the best marketing department", since I don't know how to market at all. It took me extra courage to even post in Lemmasoft o_o'''

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#8 Post by Camille »

DaFool wrote:Groups with the best "marketing departments", I might add. Whereas some of the GxB she lists are just WIP summaries with pretty pictures.
If you want to bring other BxG-making groups with "high quality releases" to her attention, you need only point them out, which is what she asked for in the first place. I think of this thread more as her asking for recommendations based on the things she likes (which she's listed) rather than a comprehensive list of all the top VN groups or whatever.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#9 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Taleweaver is Tall Tale Productions, isn't he?
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

applegirl
Veteran

#10 Post by applegirl »

My apologies if the title or intro was misleading, but I really was looking for recommendations. By no means would my list was meant to be representative for all the best OLEVN groups out there, I haven't read nearly enough of them! What Camille wrote is spot on, I've read some OLEVN but I keep forgetting/overlooking a lot of VN groups.

The WIP examples I cited were the ones that I just looked up today or the ones I remembered from a long time ago. I rarely read WIP/completed game threads, so the VNs I eventually pick up/read are typically the ones that get the most attention. My fault, which is why I create these threads in the hope of getting recommendations to VN groups that get less attention. My last list asking for underappreciated VNs (which I really wanted to use to read some hidden gems) ended up with people pointing out that all OLEVN were underappreciated. I agree, but that didn't lead to new VNs for me to read. Which is why I made this thread for specific recommendations, I want to avoid that conclusion and just read some great OLEVN that I've overlooked.

So, I'd love to get recommendations that either side with my example list or differ with it. I happen to like BxG VNs a lot, but I cited fewer examples because I've read/remembered fewer in the 5-10 minutes that I wrote the first post. Thanks to everyone who did recommend, I now have some great groups to check out :)

@Studio Mugenjohncel: Ah! I remember reading your last VN(Renpy Date Simulation Engine - The Game)! It was great and I really enjoyed it :) Of course I automatically check out your work :D Gah, another group I forgot! I am looking forward to your sequel~ I am quite curious about that Bloody part of the title and very eager to see what you mean. My apologies for forgetting your group, but I assure you that your group was not the only great OLEVN group I forgot. I won't make that mistake in the future. Also: when is the ETA for Heavy Metal Girl Madonna? :D It looks great, btw <3

EDIT3: Also, @DaFool? I actually did think your work on Sugar Delight was great. Very cute story and pretty art. Of all the groups that do hentai, I really do like your work and Neko ☆ Soft. In fact, I think your group is probably the best that I've read for this genre on the forum. I don't usually read that genre, but I actually think your group is one that I would make that exception for because I was impressed. It was charming (although I couldn't read it around my family, lol). So, my hat is off to you for that :)

Edit 4: Although, :oops:
I felt very awkward about the cake scene. Lol, but it was all very well done.
So I really would appreciate recommendations regardless of genre <3
So, yeah. tl;dr: Please recommend me some good VNs :)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Taleweaver is Tall Tale Productions, isn't he?
Tall Tales is Taleweaver + whoever I'm working together with. Games I create alone are, strictly speaking, Taleweaver games and not Tall Tales Productions.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#12 Post by jack_norton »

I did some BxG games, under my other site/label "Tycoon Games".
Bionic Heart and Summer Session were quite successful, considering they are BxG! Card Sweetheart and College Romance didn't do really great and made me think (but is just my opinion) that pure VN aimed at males aren't going to sell (unless are hentai :D).
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#13 Post by Mink »

DaFool wrote:It's just starting this thread is just...awkward, especially since it's not the first time she makes threads like this. It's like a student walking into a staff and teachers lounge during lunch hour and declaring her favorite teachers in front of everyone.
*walks away dejectedly* KIDDING.

And I'm going to mention Resonance, as a change of pace from ones on here (not that there's anything wrong with anything from here; I'm sure everyone else has that covered, though).

Edit: I should probably mention I don't think the devs have a 'name', and it's just two of them: Sylenth and Ai-lo.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

applegirl
Veteran

#14 Post by applegirl »

Dang, thanks Mink! I never heard of this group but I love that recommendation :)

Regardless, I've got at least 3 VN groups to look up which is a lot better than the last two posts which resulted in basically 0 VNs I haven't read before. So for everyone who offered serious recommendations, thanks. I didn't mean to overlook any group and as a reader, I do appreciate all the hard work you guys put into making a VN.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by DaFool »

applegirl >> Ah, just read your edits. Except whenever I'm helping out other people (such as Tall Tales Productions), I've been mostly involved with hentai works. So I should have realized that hentai is just not a subject matter that automatically crops up whenever people ask for recommendations (you have to basically make them admit they liked hentai first).

Also, the work I do for Neko Soft is mainly programming. It's the gorgeous art and interesting premise that makes their work stand out, which are the result of their professional team members, so I can't take too much credit. Though I am learning a lot from them.

Mink >> Resonance is really interesting, I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the shout-out. However 2 developers working on a plot with multiple protagonists and 40 endings does not look like it will be completed anytime soon.