Recruiting people for a Visual Novel - Artists

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Typon

Recruiting people for a Visual Novel - Artists

#1 Post by Typon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi there.

I have a recent growing interest in Visual Novels, and I recently discovered by chance the Ren'py.
I wanted to tried it and started to develop a project which I think could be turned in a complete true original game.
I have several ideas concerning the story, which I'm currently writting, and I also can handle the game programmation.
The things I need and I can't produce are the illustrations (backgrounds and characters) and also the music and sounds. Concerning the characters I think an anime-like style would be cool, but propositions are welcome. Concerning the musics I don't really know yet, but I guess I'll some different kind of musics.
I already have definite idea about what I want for some illustrations, so there could already be some work on this.

Anyone who wants to help is welcome (even for the story writting and for the programmation), but only if motivated enough to work on this with me for an undetermined time (I don't know yet how long the game should be). However I think that won't take years so don't worry.
I would like to do something quite big, but I can't do all alone.

I can speak both English and French (in fact much more French than English), and I think I may write the game story in this two languages.

I don't really want to spoil about the story, if you think you could be interested in this project, I'll tell you more about it.
If you think you'll be in, then we'll have to find a way to communicate easily like skype, IRC or something of this kind.

I think that's it for know, I hope there'll be some positives answers, I know I don't say much about the game itself but its intended.
Thanks for reading anyway, I'll be available for any information or questions about this project.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Recruiting people for a Visual Novel - Artists

#2 Post by fleet » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:08 pm

Welcome to lemmasoft forums.
May I suggest you give some details about the story and characters you have in mind?
How many sprites and backgrounds do you need?
Also, do you intend to pay the artists? Many of the best artists charge for their work.
All of my VNs are at http://wolflore.net NOTE: Downloads are now working.
Some are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Typon

#3 Post by Typon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:58 pm

For the moment, I don't know if this would be a commercial or a non-commercial game. I started not much time ago, the project is at its very start and for the moment I'm working alone on it.

I wish I could, if this game had to be sell, share the benefits of the sales with the people involved. That's quite normal, but legally I don't know how it works. In any case, for now, I don't have much money to put in it, I rather like volonteer artists that would do it because they want to, instead of someone who will "only do his job". So that's all I can say about it for now.

I already need 6 differents backgrounds, more will probably come, with different declinaisons for each (like morning/evening/night). For example I need one from an arcade game room and one from a park.

Concerning the character I only have 4 of them in mind right now (excluding the player which won't probably be shown anyway). 1 guy and 3 girls. For the girls, one will be the childhood friend of the player and one other his cousin. The 3 girls and the player would be classmates.

I may need special illustrations that would be used only one time each. Some of them would be bloody.

Concerning the story, let's say that:
A student who's working correctly at school but doesn't have a girlfriend is on week-end. It's sunday and instead of studying he decides to enjoy his day. He goes to lunch (alone) in the park, and then goes playing to an arcade video games (his favorite one). As he beats the high score of this game that another person had, he meets a weird guy. This guy was the detenter of the former high score. He proposes to the student to discover much better games. After hesitating a bit, the student decides to follows the guy.

I hope that will help, I don't want to say too much, but the ideas are here.

Ziassan
Veteran

#4 Post by Ziassan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Ta motivation fait plaisir à voir, mais il faut bien que tu gardes en tête qu'avec le peu de détails que tu donnes on reste dans l'expectative : ça ressemble à un enième début de projet comme tant d'autres qui ont avorté dans le flou. Ce n'est pas pour remettre ta PASSION en cause bien évidemment, mais simplement parce que j'ai vécu ce genre d'expériences.

Bref tout ça mis à part, comme tu as pu le voir, je suis Français (surprise) mais aussi compositeur, écrivain, programmeur.
Déjà fait quelques visual novel dont un est même dans la base de donnée de ce site.

Aider un compatriote m'intéresse, mais étant partout à la fois et l'année d'étude la plus lourde de ma vie, je ne pourrais t'épauler que sur la musique.
Après un coup de pouce sur le code ou l'histoire je peux aussi.
Mais tu devrais revoir ta présentation, tu en dis trop peu pour que quiconque ait envie de t'aider je crains.
Bonne chance en tout cas, j'aimerais avoir un peu plus d'infos avant de vraiment décider de me lancer là-dedans.

edit : ok j'ai vu ton second post, c'est mieux même si ça reste très vague sur l'ambiance & co

Un exemple de ce que je fais, sachant que ce sont tous là des travaux d'une demi-heure à quelques jours pour le second : http://soundcloud.com/ziassan/sets/vitrine
I like to create things. Mostly on the music side.
http://soundcloud.com/ziassan

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#5 Post by redeyesblackpanda » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Typon wrote:I started not much time ago, the project is at its very start and for the moment I'm working alone on it.
Typon wrote:I hope that will help, I don't want to say too much, but the ideas are here.
It seems that you're still in the "idea" stage, which might not be the best time to search for artists. I would recommend searching for artists once you've got something to show, like a fairly detailed list of the characters and such. (Probably as detailed as an estimate of the number of poses and expressions.)

There's a chance that an artist would offer to help now, but it's more likely that you'll be able to find one when you have more done. I think you should have a significantly easier time finding an artist if you get enough done to create a WIP thread.

Things like the estimated length of the VN are certainly of interest. Most people like to know how much time the'll have to commit before volunteering.

That all being said, I wish you luck in finding an artist and completing a project, and I'm definitely rooting for any BxG game out there! :lol:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Typon

#6 Post by Typon » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi,

I've got many ideas and indeed the game is more near the beginning than near the end of its development. But I rather like to search people right now, telling them the things like they are. It's more motivating if some people are already interested, and I think it can make the project go faster. I'm glad because there's already someone who offered me his help, and he started already to work on characters illustration.

I told about the project the less I could, that's my will. I already have some detailed informations concerning some characters and some parts of the story. Also I'm both programming and writtnig the story more or less at the same time, but since I'm soing it on my personnal time I don't know the time it will take and how fast it will evolve. In one evenning I can do much or nothing. It depends. Having other persons working on the project expecting it to evolve is also a motivational force. Well that's about it, that's the way I think. Oh and concerning the Visual Novel's length, I don't know at all, it will depends on several things, but for know I'm not out of ideas so I'm not worrying about it. It's more a question of time and resources ^^

Anyway thank you for your answer, it's a also a contribution ^^. I could understand that some (or most of the) artists want to know much before starting on a project. Maybe I'll work with some of them later, I don't know. But I'm taking offers from now. See you.

misamane
Regular

#7 Post by misamane » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:30 pm

I can't draw or anything but If you need it I could help with writing or programming.
Careful what you do, ‘cause God is watching your every move. Hold my hand in the dark street, for if you do I know that I’ll be safe. Even if I’m far away and alone, I can be sure that you’ll find me there, this I know. You draw me close for a while, so quiet. You tell me everything. If I forget what you say, then you’d come to me, and tell me again. Yes you’d tell me once again. But what happens when I know it all, then what should I do after that? What then?

Part of the huge LSF project: LemmaTV: Television that watches you!

mj67ai
Regular
Projects: FatexHeart

#8 Post by mj67ai » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:47 am

Don't know how far in you are--but your idea seems it could turn into something interesting, though, counting that there are 3 girls in the game im assuming that includes paths of a branching story i.e relationships, endings, and individual plots. However, you've included some common, typical anime/manga cliches which really fit the medium of Visual Novels. Though, what roles the female casts take really isnt pointed out... for example, several cliches included in the childhood friend is harboring a secret infatuation for the main guy, or wakes him up regularly to school. Or one of the other girls could fatefully meet the main guy in the park or arcade. Maybe girl A was bullied alot, but the main guy defends her, causing a soon to come path for irl A.... possibilities are out there, as cliches are genuinely fine, since its part of its inspirations and source. As an artist, I tend to just give a tidbit of my work for a peek of my skills, like so:
Attachments
JohnsonM_saki-chan.jpg
a pencilwork for an anime club mascot design a year ago-- its an un-paid work, but is a mere example, although not in color unfortunantly.

Typon

#9 Post by Typon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi,

Well I didn't recently work on this because of a lack of time and help ; I had someone who started to help on drawings but I hadn't any news since a good moment. I still think about the project and I'm still looking for help. I'd like to have some basic ressources as backgrounds and characters, only draft would be nice already. I also need to solve a "problem" about the scripting ; I need to manage some characteristic about the characters and don't have a great solution for now. I have the ideas and the main story development. If you want I can tell more about the project, just ask in mp :).
By the way I like your drawing ^^.