An Autumn's Requiem

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#16 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Being small isn't a requirement for the Ren'Ai archives. There are already two games larger than 80 MB at the archives.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#17 Post by PyTom »

I do ask that you try to minimize the size of the file, by doing things like compressing the music as much as possible without making for unacceptable quality. Beyond that, there's no particular limit with regards to file size.

Oh, a note about the game... The text is a bit on the small side. Looking at the pictures, I'm focusing in on that little bit of text, rather than taking a look at the game in a more holistic way.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

M12
Veteran

#18 Post by M12 »

Yep, I have every intention to make the file size as small as possible too. I could use a little suggestion on something. See, the game is built using Flash. Now, if I exported the file as SWF, the size will be significantly smaller, so I suppose I should export it in that format instead of EXE? Will SWF be acceptable?

As for the text, thanks for pointing it out. I'll try and find the time to fix them up before the release.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#19 Post by mikey »

SWF is acceptable, in fact many of the Ren'Ai Archives games are in Flash, plus it's your game anyway, so you can do it in any format you like ^_^. I would definitely go with the smaller option, a smaller download is always better. Nothing worse than downloading 100Mb and seeing there's nothing really there.

And good luck with releasing. :P

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by monele »

SWF would be better for compatibility : Mac and Linux users will be able to launch it too, using their browser. The only problem is maybe if someone hasn't updated his Flash plugin to the version you've used, but... I think most people are up to date ô_o... *hopes*.

M12
Veteran

#21 Post by M12 »

Hello again, the project is almost ready 8). I have two more questions:

1) The Ren'Ai archives require that the story have some sort of romantic element in it. My project doesn't really have any romance between characters, well, unless you use your imagination. So I'm wondering if that is acceptable?

2) Besides ReniAi, does anyone know of any other places where I can post this game? I would like it to be as widely available as possible.

Thanks people.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#22 Post by mikey »

ML wrote:1) The Ren'Ai archives require that the story have some sort of romantic element in it. My project doesn't really have any romance between characters, well, unless you use your imagination. So I'm wondering if that is acceptable?
RAA doesn't require romance anymore, it's okay if it's a non-ren'ai story. It should be in the visual novel style though, which, based on the screenshots, it is.
ML wrote:2) Besides ReniAi, does anyone know of any other places where I can post this game? I would like it to be as widely available as possible.
If it's widely available you want, then submit it to Newgrounds. Also to one of the many "free web games" sites, the ones that specialize in Flash works.

Looking forward to the release.

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by EwanG »

Don't forget to submit it to Download.com if it can be downloaded (assuming you don't plan to just host it on your site). Senior Year has only been up there a couple days (it takes them about a month between submission and making it live), and already has 240 PC downloads and 40 Mac downloads - and even one 5 star rating.

Can imagine that something with better artwork will do even better :D

M12
Veteran

#24 Post by M12 »

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 4003#24003

There we go; the game has been uploaded. Hope you guys will enjoy it.