Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Zylinder
Veteran

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4681 Post by Zylinder »

For one of our digital illustration classes, we've basically been flogged mercilessly for the whole semester.

The lecturer showcases our work piece by piece, and quote - says it's ugly, or that he doesn't want to critique it because we painted it without using our brains. Now everyone in the class is demotivated, and some are completely giving up on their final project.

I don't even know how I feel about this. There's just this general cloud of swirling, directionless anger in me. I'm sad that it's come to this for everyone, I'm angry at the lecturer for being so harsh, but at the same time it IS true that our work is subpar, but we're only a product of a syllabus that has concentrated on tracing and copying for 2 years? Ugh, this is all daft.

Squid
Regular

#4682 Post by Squid »

Well, even if improvements need to be made, a teacher's job isn't merely to grade.
It is to provide instruction and encourage growth.

If there are problems, they should have been noticed and worked on far before this point!
Morale being low sounds completely logical, here.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#4683 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Zylinder wrote:I don't even know how I feel about this. There's just this general cloud of swirling, directionless anger in me. I'm sad that it's come to this for everyone, I'm angry at the lecturer for being so harsh, but at the same time it IS true that our work is subpar, but we're only a product of a syllabus that has concentrated on tracing and copying for 2 years. Ugh, this is all daft.
It sounds as if you were all taught improperly and now you're expected to pay for it. That's awful. (And really, if you didn't use your brains, how could you possibly have painted anything at all? The brain conceives an idea and then sends signals to the appropriate muscles to produce the motions required to paint. Giving an opinion is one thing, but saying "you're not using your brains" is just a bullshit excuse not to give meaningful critique. It doesn't really say anything helpful about what you should or shouldn't be doing.)

But don't give up. Use what you're feeling as fuel for your final project. Even if the lecturer says he hates it, it won't be because you didn't produce something worthwhile.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Ryuushiro
Regular
Completed: Artist for "Maid With Perfection", Artist for "Love and Romance: a study of intimacy", art for "Sleepier & Sleepier", Backgrounds for "Panzer Hearts", Sketch backgrounds for "Caramel Mokaccino DEMO
Projects: "Hunting Fable"
Tumblr: wafflemeido
Deviantart: WaffleMeido

#4684 Post by Ryuushiro »

Getting a really small thing off my chest here: I hate skype ; - ; God, I hate it. I hate talking to people on skype, hate writing stuff there, hate conferences on skype, I just hate it. I only use it for my actual work, only if absolutely necessary and never add anyone there other than my boss and co-workers.
This is bad, because I've seen most people here became friends through skype, so I feel like I'm never really going to make friends with people if I don't use it, but I can't bring myself to do it = 7 =

VISIT MY WEBSITE FOR COMMISSIONS: { HERE }
DeviantartPatreon

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4685 Post by fleet »

Zylinder wrote:For one of our digital illustration classes, we've basically been flogged mercilessly for the whole semester.

The lecturer showcases our work piece by piece, and quote - says it's ugly, or that he doesn't want to critique it because we painted it without using our brains. Now everyone in the class is demotivated, and some are completely giving up on their final project.

I don't even know how I feel about this. There's just this general cloud of swirling, directionless anger in me. I'm sad that it's come to this for everyone, I'm angry at the lecturer for being so harsh, but at the same time it IS true that our work is subpar, but we're only a product of a syllabus that has concentrated on tracing and copying for 2 years? Ugh, this is all daft.
I'd recommend you and each of your classmates write letters to whoever is the lecturer's supervisor (department head, dean, course director), describing the lack of instruction (be sure to site specific examples with dates).
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

effenelle
Regular
Projects: Un:Wanted [GxB]
Deviantart: effenelle

#4686 Post by effenelle »

Haaa...I'm in that hole again...feeling unmotivated to work on my 70k words VN. What did I just do to myself?! T_T

Would it turn out okay? Would people find it interesting? I'd probably should post in WiP but I wanna just be done with it! No more endless loop of editing!

Huh. Maybe I should take a break and doodle instead.
Un:Wanted (GxB)
A game made from free resources found in LemmaSoft's Creative Commons!
\(^▽^)/
Thanks everyone!

Squid
Regular

#4687 Post by Squid »

I'm in a similar spot...
Working off and on with a VN based on D&D stuff.... (will even have character sheets)
It'd be "general fantasy" to anyone who doesn't know D&D, and that's fine.
But I'm mostly making it to deal with my crazy life right now and as some therapeutic busywork.
I've never made a VN before, and things usually go horribly wrong whenever I put any high hopes into it...
So I'm making a crappy game!

The problem?
I have no idea what I should do.
Post about it and try to gain interest to boost self-esteem?
Avoid it so I don't get disappointed?
What if I end up scrapping it before it is done? Would posting about it make me feel bad? Maybe posting would make me more likely to finish it, though.

No matter how I look, there's a counterpoint, and I have no idea what to do (and, it seems I wouldn't know how to do it anyway)

Then add in writer's block and general anxiety from non VN stuff.
Just shit going on all over and I can't make choices on my own

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4688 Post by fleet »

Squid wrote:I'm in a similar spot...
Working off and on with a VN based on D&D stuff.... (will even have character sheets)
It'd be "general fantasy" to anyone who doesn't know D&D, and that's fine.
But I'm mostly making it to deal with my crazy life right now and as some therapeutic busywork.
I've never made a VN before, and things usually go horribly wrong whenever I put any high hopes into it...
So I'm making a crappy game!

The problem?
What if I end up scrapping it before it is done? Would posting about it make me feel bad? Maybe posting would make me more likely to finish it, though.

No matter how I look, there's a counterpoint, and I have no idea what to do (and, it seems I wouldn't know how to do it anyway)

Don't worry about what other people will think. You have very little to lose by completing and posting your VN. Some folks will play it some won't. Go for it, and have fun finishing the VN.
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#4689 Post by Caveat Lector »

I agree with fleet. Keep at it anyway. If you never allow yourself to fall, how will you ever learn how to fly?
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Squid
Regular

#4690 Post by Squid »

I plan to make it...
Just not sure how much to involve the community.

I've never done so before, and I'm not exactly social (at all)
So I wonder if posting about it will be helpful or not

I have a feeling I wouldn't take any but the gentlest criticism well at all

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#4691 Post by Katta »

I think the community here is pretty gentle in the criticism unless you ask for it specifically (f.ex. by putting up Honest Critique button), on the other hand I feel that people who are not very social themselves don't get a lot of feedback in general which can be demotivating.
I'd suggest finding one person who'll be genuinely interested in your project (f.ex. an ideabouncer here on the forums) but ofc it can be counter-productive on its own because discussions take a lot of time that could have been spent working)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#4692 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Squid wrote:The problem?

I would deal with the non-VN stuff first and get those additional stress factors out of the way, or at least have them managed. When you're in a better place emotionally, you'll be able to look at your work without being so hard on yourself.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4693 Post by fleet »

Squid wrote:I plan to make it...
Just not sure how much to involve the community.

I've never done so before, and I'm not exactly social (at all)
So I wonder if posting about it will be helpful or not

I have a feeling I wouldn't take any but the gentlest criticism well at all
Criticism is easier to take if you get it from somebody you know and trust. I'd suggest you show what you've got to a friend and ask him/her if they have any suggestions for improvement.
Doing so remove you from the possibility of someone posting something like the following (this is an excerpt of 'constructive' criticism from another website):

"The story was lame. There was nothing special. It was also banal. I really disliked it. I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but this one was the worst VN I have ever played. ...
The graphics were bad too. I don't understand why you use those cheap dolls. There was no need. You can always look for an artist. Till today, I've not seen any VN maker other than you who uses these cheap dolls.
The sound effects really gets on my nerves. So does the music.
But keep trying. I'm sure you will improve some day. If that day comes."

EDIT: I sincerely doubt that you would get a critique like that here at LSF.
Last edited by fleet on Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#4694 Post by Caveat Lector »

Criticism is easier to take if you get it from somebody you know and trust. I'd suggest you show what you've got to a friend and ask him/her if they have any suggestions for improvement.
Even then, I'd advise seeking a friend who's a) highly perceptive to detail and b) not afraid to be openly honest about how they view certain plot elements. Or at the very least, someone who is friendly but also not afraid to beat around the bush. I kept getting the feeling with my project that there was SOMETHING not entirely right in the original story but I wasn't sure WHAT. ColaCat (who's awesome, btw) was very helpful in that regard and went "I liked it, but this odd thing stood out to me", "here is where this action doesn't make sense", "this part is a bit inconsistent", etc.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#4695 Post by Rossfellow »

I'm going to quote Daniel Floyd on this one.
Dan wrote:If you sincerely believe that you've made something great, and you decide not to share it, then you will be doing everyone a great disservice.

The work itself lends to criticism, some of it constructive and some of it unreasonable. It's one thing to learn how to take criticism, its another to filter the helpful ones from the bad ones. You'll need to learn both of them.

What tends to invite ridicule isnt actually the work, but the author's attitude towards it. There is a VN out there on Steam that is about 9-10 minutes long, and looks like it took maybe 3 weeks to make. It's a $0.99 game. That should be fine by itself.

Except the creator decided to go way over his head and add/ advertise features like online multiplayer(It's a 3D walkaround! There's not even challenges or puzzles!), collectible trading cards and other bonanzas and... Well. Pretty much just popped open a can of worms. I'm 100% serious about this.

Don't be that guy. I think you already have that part right.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair