Is there a way to convert Platforms of Visual Novels?

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Skye
Projects: -to be revealed at a later date-
Organization: Skye Studios

Is there a way to convert Platforms of Visual Novels?

#1 Post by Skye »

For example, let's say I really want to play a ipod or DS game but I don't have either devices is there a way to purchase them and then convert them to PC games? Just wondering. :)

TY in advance.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: Is there a way to convert Platforms of Visual Novels?

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Hm... I've heard of emulators, but never tried one myself. I don't think there's a kosher (reads: legal) way of doing this. I don't think there's anything that does what you're talking about. Something that could convert a ds game would need to be able to read the cartridge. I'm not sure such a thing exists (and if you were to try to get one, it would probably make more sense to get the gaming device itself...). Playing one of those games on your computer would probably involve downloading them online, which I'm pretty sure is illegal.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

Purchase them and then convert them? AFAIK, there's no such device. I know there's an emulator to let you play DS games on PC, but you also need a special ROM to play with it. It's not legal obviously so don't ask me how to get them.

I don't know about iPod though... since Apple's thingies are very closed.

EDIT: adding a question mark since without it, my statement have a very different meaning
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Skye
Projects: -to be revealed at a later date-
Organization: Skye Studios

#4 Post by Skye »

Thank you if it's not legal, I'll probably just buy a DS. Last time I had one, I broke it from excessive usage and hitting against the wall after a loss of pokemo'n data lol :)
I have an iPhone but I always use up my memory with songs and photos etc. Thank you for your help :)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

Just a suggestion, since 3DS have come out, why don't you buy 3DS instead (or even better, wait for 3DS lite). 3DS could play DS games too.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#6 Post by papillon »

a) Non-3DS is cheaper. b) Non-3DS has much better battery life AFAIK. c) 3DS is annoyingly useless for people who can't visually process the fancy 3d effect.

d) The 3DS is region-locked and does not want you enjoying any import games ever. Because they hate fun.

This message brought to you by someone who is _still_ pissed off about that. And it is kinda a big deal for people who are interested in visual novels on the platform!

misamane
Regular

#7 Post by misamane »

It would honestly just be best to get a DS. Anything else would just be too complicated/illegal. You can get DS Lites for about £50 over here, obviously I don't know how much that would be where you are but yeah, that's fairly cheap.
Careful what you do, ‘cause God is watching your every move. Hold my hand in the dark street, for if you do I know that I’ll be safe. Even if I’m far away and alone, I can be sure that you’ll find me there, this I know. You draw me close for a while, so quiet. You tell me everything. If I forget what you say, then you’d come to me, and tell me again. Yes you’d tell me once again. But what happens when I know it all, then what should I do after that? What then?

Part of the huge LSF project: LemmaTV: Television that watches you!