Player Interaction in a Story

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
MoPark
Regular
Projects: Kangaroo, Terminal Love

Player Interaction in a Story

#1 Post by MoPark »

Okay, so this is something that I've noticed in a couple popular VNs that I sort of... don't like.

Basically, to me, a visual novel is a great genre almost entirely because it emphasizes player interaction. You're given a choice, and you fit into the role of the main character (usually), and now you have a personal connection with the plot and the other characters, and that's cool! It doesn't necessarily have to be a choice that leads to a branching path, but I feel the simple act of having some form of control is a good thing. Take a look at my crude drawing below:
paths.gif
paths.gif (1.04 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
The top is a branching path scenario. The bottom is not. Both occur though from having you, the player, control the flow of the story. In the bottom scenario, it's not as much control, but that's okay given the circumstances and scenario of the plot, because either way, if the story's well told, and the interaction is there, it's a fun experience overall!

That's my opinion on what I like. This is what I don't like:

I do not like it when a game's flow is structured as [30 minutes] [interaction] [30 minutes] [interaction]

To me, that's not a visual novel. It's not a kinetic novel either, by virtue of having moments where you interact, but I can't get into visual novels that are structured this way. I don't think it's a problem I have with those outside the VN genre solely because VNs, by nature of being VNs, emphasize character interaction. Other games don't have this problem because often times you get to control exactly where the character will walk and whatnot (as in, most RPGs, adventure games, shooters, platformers, etc) In a VN, you don't have that option, so you have to substitute for a different form of character interaction, essentially through menu options and whatnot.

I would say I can deal with the game's flow being spaced out and without many periods where I interact if the story is incredibly compelling and fascinating, but the writing, artwork, music, and whatnot needs to be top notch in place. I can play a VN that isn't the highest production quality if it has those moments of interaction, though.

Anyway, I'm curious about how others view this? I'm expecting a pretty diverse set of opinions, and I'm sure many of you will disagree with how I view what a visual novel is, but that's okay, because I genuinely do want to know what other people think about all this.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Player Interaction in a Story

#2 Post by CheeryMoya »

I'm sure a lot of us will say, "Yeah, lots of options and branching is the best!" But when you take into account how much work goes into writing different scenarios for each possibility and keeping track of all of them, even the best of us might start despairing. That's the reason why the bottom branching type- where two branches eventually lead back to a single one- is there; to avoid headaches and tell the story in the end.
MoPark wrote:I do not like it when a game's flow is structured as [30 minutes] [interaction] [30 minutes] [interaction]
As do I. That still gives you "control," yet at the same time it doesn't. It's more like "sit back and watch the show, and maybe we'll ask you what you think when we remember to." Again, this probably has to do with the branching headache, but with point-based games it should be less of a problem.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#3 Post by Anna »

MoPark wrote:I do not like it when a game's flow is structured as [30 minutes] [interaction] [30 minutes] [interaction]
How would that look in a flow chart model? Isn't that basically your models but then more than once? I'm not entirely understanding the problem here.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by CheeryMoya »

Anna wrote:
How would that look in a flow chart model? Isn't that basically your models but then more than once? I'm not entirely understanding the problem here.
It's a matter of how spaced apart the choices are. Here you are, under the illusion that what you're playing is a VN when it's looking more like a KN at this point. Now here's a part where you could have done/said something different, but the MC does his or her own thing- and you completely disagree with it! What happened to my free will? Oh whoops, gotta keep waiting for the time it'll come...

That's how I take it, anyway. I think the timing of choices was one of Katawa Shoujo's main complaints?

Anima
Veteran
Completed: Loren
Projects: PS2

#5 Post by Anima »

Actually it's a simple matter of math.
The first model has a branch growth of n^x, where n is the number of choices per branching point and x the number of branching points per branch.
Even with two choices per branching point and 6 branching points you already have 64 branches. Say you want 10 branching points and 3 choices per point, you end up with 59049 branches.
The second model scales by n*x. So 12 branches for the first case and 30 for the second case. Much saner.

It simply becomes impossible to make a game according to the first model if the number of choices becomes larger.
Avatar created with this deviation by Crysa
Currently working on:
  • Winterwolves "Planet Stronghold 2" - RPG Framework: Phase III

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#6 Post by luminarious »

I wish more VNs would try writing dialogue the same way classic RPGs do it. Fallout, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate.. all have examples of dialogue where the choices within the dialogue have an effect on where the story will branch to from here on. No, you don't know where it will lead you, but "Go left" (often seen in VNs) is similarly opaque as a choice.

Also, it's kind of obvious but it usually makes sense to combine these.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#7 Post by papillon »

Trying to avoid that awkwardness is one reason I often end up inserting some choices that are totally meaningless, just to prevent the player from feeling too disconnected from the action. I feel a bit guilty about it because I know some people really HATE meaningless choices, but I feel like it's necessary to keep the player in the frame of mind of actively evaluating the story they're reading and being ready to make decisions.
Now here's a part where you could have done/said something different, but the MC does his or her own thing- and you completely disagree with it! What happened to my free will?
To some extent that's always going to happen, though, because it's literally impossible for the game authors to write in every possible option at every point. :)

One idea I want to play with at some point in the future is a VN that uses a more "RPG" method of dialog... the kind where EVERY SINGLE THING the main character says is a choice, although usually a choice that only affects the flavor of how you say things and gets you to roughly the same outcome. But even with that, there will be times where the option you want doesn't exist.

Particularly when the option you want is "stab the yandere in the face and run away laughing."

Endorphin
Veteran

#8 Post by Endorphin »

papillon wrote:Trying to avoid that awkwardness is one reason I often end up inserting some choices that are totally meaningless, just to prevent the player from feeling too disconnected from the action. I feel a bit guilty about it because I know some people really HATE meaningless choices, but I feel like it's necessary to keep the player in the frame of mind of actively evaluating the story they're reading and being ready to make decisions
I agree with that.
You know, even "meaningless" choices keep you connected - not everything I say or do will change the world.
I think that it is important as it makes the player think about it - it might not be relevant for the ending you get, but it might is relevant for the player.
And it makes the game just... nicer. You influence the dialoge for a moment, that is something too. :<

- R.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#9 Post by Anna »

CheeryMoya wrote:Now here's a part where you could have done/said something different, but the MC does his or her own thing- and you completely disagree with it! What happened to my free will? Oh whoops, gotta keep waiting for the time it'll come...
Not every VN with choices wants you to believe you are the main character and that the main character doesn't have a free will. Besides, that will always remain, it's impossible to satisfy everyone and give you the option to do everything you want to do.

And yes even 'meaningless' choices are important, because they may not be as meaningless in other areas. The idea of choices, to me, is that they enable you to think about aspects of the story.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by gekiganwing »

Nearly every video game that I grew up with compelled the player to take actions on a regular basis. All the board/card/strategy games in my collection require players to constantly decide what they'll do next. Even the gamebooks that I've read usually had branching paths after just a few pages.

Having said that, I've accepted the notion of a visual novel where the player makes choices only every fifteen or thirty minutes. I've become okay with stories that have only a few branches. The way I figure it, if I enjoy the story and the aesthetics, then I can live without player input and interactivity. Kinetic novels are a more "pure" experience, as they are simply stories with graphics, and do not have any gameplay or interaction.

Generally speaking, visual novels fall on the far end of the story-to-gameplay ratio index. If there is an emphasis on simulation or roleplaying, then a game can be placed in the middle of the index.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#11 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

MoPark wrote:
I do not like it when a game's flow is structured as [30 minutes] [interaction] [30 minutes] [interaction]
This bugs me as well. Just like a story, gameplay needs to have a certain ebb and flow. I've stopped playing playing good VNs because they went too long between choices, and I've kept playing mediocre VNs because I felt I had a lot of agency as a player. I got annoyed and stopped playing My Girlfriend is the President because it got to be a LONG time between choices, while I had made a couple of choices fairly close together at the start of the game. It went on long enough with no choices that I stopped, saved the game, and looked online to see when I would next get a choice. Only then did I discover the "game" only has 4-5 choices. Combine that with the fact that the nearly HALF of those choices are made almost immediately and consist of "Did you read the manual?" (Wait - what my response to a 4th wall breaking joke at the start of the game is a 20-25% factor in what ending I get?! Image) and "What do you think of this girl's butt?" and I lost all interest in continuing the "game".

I try and have the player make SOME kind of decision or interaction at least once every ten minutes of game time. Not getting a proper balance between reading and decision making is just as bad as a story with too much action or too little action.
papillon wrote:Trying to avoid that awkwardness is one reason I often end up inserting some choices that are totally meaningless, just to prevent the player from feeling too disconnected from the action. I feel a bit guilty about it because I know some people really HATE meaningless choices, but I feel like it's necessary to keep the player in the frame of mind of actively evaluating the story they're reading and being ready to make decisions.
I think that, in general, giving the player choices every so often, even meaningless ones, is important to keep them connected to the story and paying attention. As you said, it keeps them actively evaluating the story. They'll pay more attention to what characters say and do because they know they'll likely have to act or make decisions based off that information.
Now here's a part where you could have done/said something different, but the MC does his or her own thing- and you completely disagree with it! What happened to my free will?
This is a big source of annoyance for me in VNs - or any game for that matter. A big reason is the sudden disconnect from previous gameplay. If you let me choose whether or not I wanted to walk home with the girl earlier, why are you suddenly forcing me to stand on the sidelines and watch her get bullied without being able to do anything? The answer of course is that if you let me step in and defend her your story would be over before it began.

That's really an example of poor writing. It is entirely possible to frame events so that your story can continue regardless of what the player does or doesn't. I could decide what my character had for breakfast this morning, but now the character is telling ME they won't do something because they are afraid or weak?

It creates a weird twilight zone where you may get to make a lot of small meaningless choices for the character, but suddenly the major decisions that actually affect things are out of your hands. :?
papillon wrote: One idea I want to play with at some point in the future is a VN that uses a more "RPG" method of dialog... the kind where EVERY SINGLE THING the main character says is a choice, although usually a choice that only affects the flavor of how you say things and gets you to roughly the same outcome. But even with that, there will be times where the option you want doesn't exist.
I'm trying this for my game. One example from the game:
“When do I get a rematch?”

NPC 1, bemused: “Against who?”

NPC 2, angry: “Against that girl! I'm stronger. Better!”

Option A: That black eye says different.

Option B: Fine. Let's settle this right now.

Option C: I'm sorry I hit you.

Option D: Say nothing.
The thing is, none of those choices have much impact beyond this one scene. There is some different dialogue, but all of it relatively short. The player's relationship with NPC 2 is adjusted point-wise one way or the other, and the negative or positive points with the NPC may cause different versions of scenes later on, but the future scene scenarios are still the same, just with different dialogue. It isn't much more work for me to write different versions of scenes where the same effect or story goal is achieved, but the NPC's treatment of the player or role in the scene is different.

However, these choices let the player define their character's personality in their own head. Is your character snarky? Antagonistic? Maybe the type to be friendly and turn the other cheek? Or perhaps the character is aloof, cold, or mysterious. This makes things easier on me as the writer, and gives the player the illusion of great agency. Often all I have to do as a writer is add ONE extra sentence where another character acknowledges the player's attitude or action. The player feels vindicated because the game is acknowledging past actions, regardless of whether they really changed anything.

In Mass Effect 2, Shepard is interviewing an enemy guard. The same information is gained regardless, but Shepard can end the conversation by letting the guard run off or shoving him out a window. You get Renegade or Paragon points depending on what you have Shepard do, but nothing changes in future scenes or dialogue. There is no branching of the story path. The goal of the scene within the larger story is achieved no matter the player's action. However, if you shoved the guard out the window, one of your party will remark, "Remind me never to piss off Shepard!" Just a simple nod to the player that says, "I saw what you did there" that makes all the difference.

In my game I'll often take control of the player's character for minor decisions or remarks, but I always make sure that any seemingly meaningful or important choice let's them give input. For instance, I may control all the dialogue of the main character in a conversation, but I'll let the player decide how the character should start or approach that conversation. Using the example above, if the player chooses the snarky option to reply I'll write the rest of the scene with the main character speaking but the player won't have further input - instead all the main character's dialogue in that scene will reflect that initial choice and the MC will be more flippant or snarky for that scene. The gist of what is said remains the same in all 4 versions, but the player feels invested because I essentially let them pick between the same conversation phrased in different ways.

Since every scene is there for a purpose - a goal it must accomplish story-wise - all that matters is the scene succeeds at that goal. HOW it succeeds at that goal is where I let the player have agency. So the player essentially stays on a linear path that gives them the illusion of control until the real branches occur. Those branches are also linear paths with illusions of player agency until THEY branch for real. But the player doesn't always know when they are making a plot branching choice or picking a flavor for a scene. It keeps them invested in every choice.

It is still extra work, but not a lot.

Friendbot2000
Regular
Projects: Mutagen : Journey to Haven's Landing

#12 Post by Friendbot2000 »

@LateWhiteRabbit
How fast do you type? I am just curious because all of your posts are so long :P

I completely agree with LateWhiteRabbit and I am going to throw my 2 cents in as well. In my upcoming game, a VN/RPG known as "Mutagen: The Long Road", I have so many different paths you can take it isn't funny. Seriously, my office is filled with flow charts >.< The most noticeable of these paths is the one I make available at the beginning of the game. Basically you have to option to become the leader of some refugees/survivors OR you can take a backseat in a support role if you so wish. Each is reflected by your choices and dialogue. I will also add that you can take hold of the reins of leadership any time you want to at certain forks in the game's path. I give many options to the player. In fact, each main character/class has their own individual story line and plot that is filled to the brim with options. Some might say that too many options is a bad thing, but my biggest pet peeve with videogames that have you take control of a character or a character that is created by you and you can't do anything you want. Well, I change that and make it so you HAVE OPTIONS. I also do the things that LateWhiteRabbit posted above. I put in dialogue choices that really don't affect anything in the main storyline, but they will remain in the continuity of the scene.

Before someone posts about "having too many options is bad" I will note that the majority of my "paths" in "Mutagen" are the NPC's own individual stories and interacting with them unlocks certain dialogue choices and paths in the main plot and don't worry LateWhiteRabbit, you can stop the bullying in my game ;) As I mentioned in this thread:http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 47&t=14709 my game is centered around character interactions framed by a skeleton plot (that may get more fleshy, but for now that is my formula). Think of my game as a series of character studies enmeshed between two covers of a book. It is very complicated, but that is what flowcharts are for and my almost obsessive note taking helps a great deal.
Visit my game development group's Facebook page : Timekeeper Games
Mutagen : Journey to Haven's Landing Facebook Page
Follow our Twitter feed too : TK Games

AxemRed
Veteran

#13 Post by AxemRed »

The type and number of choices depend on the kind of experience you want to create.

If you want to tell a story, the choices are largely superfluous. They can be a nice diversion and provide an in-universe way of determining which route to go into.

If you want to create a role playing experience, the main character's personality should be highly variable based on the choices made by the player and everything LateWhiteRabbit mentioned applies.

Different creators have different goals, different readers have different preferences. I've dropped games before because they had too many choices...

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#14 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Friendbot2000 wrote:@LateWhiteRabbit
How fast do you type? I am just curious because all of your posts are so long :P
Like a speed demon. I went to school when Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing was considered the height of computer science.
AxemRed wrote:The type and number of choices depend on the kind of experience you want to create.

If you want to tell a story, the choices are largely superfluous. They can be a nice diversion and provide an in-universe way of determining which route to go into.

If you want to create a role playing experience, the main character's personality should be highly variable based on the choices made by the player and everything LateWhiteRabbit mentioned applies.

Different creators have different goals, different readers have different preferences. I've dropped games before because they had too many choices...
Agreed, but if I want to read a story without any choices I pick up a book. If I want to read a story with pictures and no choices I pick up a manga. I don't tend to think you can have such a thing as too many choices in something labeled a game. Looking at the new Ren'Py stats people post for their games like "3,743 screens of dialgoue" and all I can think is how many hundreds or thousands of clicks I'd have to make between choices.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#15 Post by Hijiri »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:I don't tend to think you can have such a thing as too many choices in something labeled a game. Looking at the new Ren'Py stats people post for their games like "3,743 screens of dialgoue" and all I can think is how many hundreds or thousands of clicks I'd have to make between choices.
That's why I call my VN's "Minimal Interaction Books" :lol:

Personally, I feel I'd rather limit the branches of a story, if only to make my job as writer a whole lot easier. You have to factor in everything that happens in all the previous branches and try to find ways to make them different, and once you get a lot, well...
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."