Onegai Twins

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

Onegai Twins

#1 Post by Enerccio »

You are Kamishiro Maiku. You live lonely life. But that is changed when two girls knock on your door.

Currently working on playable demo (will be posted soon!).

Looking for some artist who could draw characters (ie Kamishiro Maiku, Mijafuji Miina, Onodera Karen...)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Re: Onegai Twins

#2 Post by mikey »

Enerccio wrote:You are Kamishiro Maiku. You live lonely life. But that is changed when two girls knock on your door.
Hmmm, I'm sure I've heard this somewhere before... 8)
Enerccio wrote:Looking for some artist who could draw characters (ie Kamishiro Maiku, Mijafuji Miina, Onodera Karen...)

Unfortunately, artists will mostly respond to projects that can be completed, or that they are interested in. So I think the demo is necessary so that they can see and decide.

Anyway, here is my idea: Yes, Onegai Twins. But why not something else?

You surely have a story that you want to tell. And you believe that the story is good. So, what would happen if you just renamed the people? The story is usually the heart of the game, so if the story is good, you don't NEED to have OT characters.

It's up to you, of course. But if you can be original, it will probably make you happier with the final game. You'll be able to say - This is my game, my story and my characters. :P

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Enerccio »

Yeah, that right. But also, if i can play game based on anime, i could choose other path for main character and the story will be different.

And:
(nemusis prekladat ale sa chcem vyjadrit lepsie cize v slovencine.

Je tazke vymysliet pribeh. Je to tazke pretoze vecsina uz bola vymyslena bud v nejakom anime seriali alebo filme alebo v nejakej hre. A stale opakovat nejay pribeh to neviem cije originalne. Ja som to chcel spravit len preto ze sa mi velmi paci toto anime a vo vela situaciach by som sa chcel rozhodnut inak a to by takato hra umoznovala.)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

You know I almost inputted the text to rot13 cypher, until I realized it wasn't rot13, but Slovac. No offense :D

Hmmm, I think know where Enerccio is going for, based on his post in the Copyright issue thread.

How about this: Take background screenshots of the anime (relatively easy) and character pose screenshots (much harder) and use those as placeholders. I believe the location of Onegai Teacher / Twins is a real lakeside town (forget the name), if you can hunt realworld photos of it, all the better.

You can release a demo with those. I am at least willing to convert those to CG. I only have time many months from now as I am currently busy. But if you truly want to stick with the Onegai universe, you have at least one artist interested.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by mikey »

Enerccio wrote:Yeah, that right. But also, if i can play game based on anime, i could choose other path for main character and the story will be different.
Of course, that was just an idea - if you want to make an alternative of the anime you like, why not - just recently we had a Sailormoon game, so no problems.

But ^_^... The one thing I can't agree with is that you say (in the Slovak text), that all stories have already been invented or used. That's too pessimistic :P . I'm sure that you will have a good original idea that you think is good - maybe not now, but in the future... or even tomorrow ;)

Anyway, for now, good luck with the project.
DaFool wrote:You know I almost inputted the text to rot13 cypher, until I realized it wasn't rot13, but Slovak.
It basically says the same as the English one, plus that remark about originality above.

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Enerccio »

Got demo- but main character is eileen (i dont have character images)
(gomen for mistakes - when i will release full game i will chcek the whole text for mistakes)
http://rapidshare.com/files/4832325/Twi ... 1.zip.html

Also thanks Mikey :)
a som rad ze je tu niekto kto vie po slovensky :P

Jake
Support Hero

#7 Post by Jake »

mikey wrote:But ^_^... The one thing I can't agree with is that you say (in the Slovak text), that all stories have already been invented or used. That's too pessimistic :P
There's a facet to literature study that involves dissecting the fundamentals of stories and several people have claimed that you can reduce all stories down to one of six, or one of ten, or one of thirty-six or however many...

...but fundamentally, every time one tries to do this one ends up with very nebulous 'stories' in the set. I have a copy of [a translation of] Georges Polti's "Thirty-six Dramatic Situations", and to give an example, one of the more complex ones is:
Thirty-second Situation
Mistaken Jealousy
(The Jealous One; the Object of Whose Possession He is Jealous; the supposed Accomplice; the Cause or the Author of the Mistake)
The last element is either not personified, or personified in a traitor, who is sometimes the true rival of the Jealous One.
He then goes on to give a couple of dozen examples including three separate Shakespeare plays which all apparently have the same story...

In the face of such arguments I can't really refute that fundamentally, all stories probably have been written before. But that's entirely beside the point; variations on a theme have been the stock in trade of writers, musicians, poets and so on for centuries, and there's plenty of space for variation!
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

I prefer the table of fifty-five dramatic situations found in John Hodgeman's "The Areas of my Expertise", which includes the following:

- "Boy v. Girl"
- "Mountains thwart progress"
- "Conscience prevents acceptance of Soylent Green"
- "Everything turns out to be a dream"
- "Return of Civil War-era cyborgs that are powered by steam"

But my grip on reality is always fairly fluid.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Enerccio »

mikey wrote:
Enerccio wrote:You are Kamishiro Maiku. You live lonely life. But that is changed when two girls knock on your door.
Hmmm, I'm sure I've heard this somewhere before... 8)
Enerccio wrote:Looking for some artist who could draw characters (ie Kamishiro Maiku, Mijafuji Miina, Onodera Karen...)

Unfortunately, artists will mostly respond to projects that can be completed, or that they are interested in. So I think the demo is necessary so that they can see and decide.

Anyway, here is my idea: Yes, Onegai Twins. But why not something else?

You surely have a story that you want to tell. And you believe that the story is good. So, what would happen if you just renamed the people? The story is usually the heart of the game, so if the story is good, you don't NEED to have OT characters.

It's up to you, of course. But if you can be original, it will probably make you happier with the final game. You'll be able to say - This is my game, my story and my characters. :P
Eh, this is funny. Right today i got idea for game.

Lenze neviem ci je dobre prestat s projektom po takej kratke dobe. Poraď. :?

Jake
Support Hero

#10 Post by Jake »

(I used to get really worked up about unintended plagiarism myself, to be honest. I've always had a passion for comics (part of the reason I'm interested in VNs is because I see them as a similar medium), and started writing/drawing a couple only to drop them a dozen pages in 'cause I'd found some other story similar to the one I was doing, usually with a better execution. Most recently I decided that I really needed to just work through something, so I started drawing a story that was from the beginning deliberately pulpish and derivative - I'm making no attempt to be particularly individual, but it's still going well, people are still enjoying it, and it's fundamentally still just as original as anything I'd written before. I knew it was a silly thing to worry about in the first place, but this experience has only brought the point home for me. ;-))
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

denzil
Veteran

#11 Post by denzil »

Enerccio wrote:Lenze neviem ci je dobre prestat s projektom po takej kratke dobe. Poraď. :?
No, ja bych rekl ze je to na tobe, ale stava se ze nekdo zacne pracovat na jedne hre, potom dostane napad a zacne pracovat na dalsi a tak porad dokola...
Podle me je dobre dokoncit nejako, i kdyz malou a nijak zvlast uzasnou hru, protoze se tim clovek celkem dost nauci a ne preskakovat od jednoho projektu k druhemu.
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by mikey »

mikey's Translation Services Ltd.
"Saying things that other people said in another language in a different language." :P
Enerccio wrote:But I don't know whether it's good to stop the project after such a short time.
denzil wrote:Well, I'd say it's up to you, but it happens that people start working on one game, then get another idea and start another one, and so on, over again.
I think it's good to somehow finish even a small and unspectacular game, because one can learn a lot - as opposed to jumping form one project to another
Maybe it's also good to play a few of the small projects, so you can see how long (or short) you can make your game. Often people plan too big and that's the reason a lot of them don't finish. :(