Anyone Else here Play Fighting Games Competitively?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Enigma
Veteran

Anyone Else here Play Fighting Games Competitively?

#1 Post by Enigma »

Like the title says. So far I've only done local tournements for Blazblue and Skullgirls. No one plays Guilty Gear around me, but that's my faveorite game (and the one I'm worst at). I'm aiming to get top 8 at Evo for at least one of these.

I'm posting this manly because I'm really happy about Guilty Gear getting ressurected!! The new one's called Guilty GearXX: Accent Core+R

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Anyone Else here Play Fighting Games Competitively?

#2 Post by Showsni »

Does Pokémon count? (I guess not, totally different skillset. Other than memorising move combos and how to counteract particular threats.)

Enigma
Veteran

#3 Post by Enigma »

Showsni wrote:Does Pokémon count? (I guess not, totally different skillset. Other than memorising move combos and how to counteract particular threats.)
Lol, gonna go ahead and say no. Pokemon is more of an RPG. It's not a totally different skill set though. Many of the same skills are used, just not at the same speed. Knowing how your pokemon matches up against the enemy is as important as knowing how your character matches up against another in a Fighting game.

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#4 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

I've never played in tournaments myself, but I've hung out frequently with a lot of competitive players. Back when accent core + first came out I had trouble with it because I couldn't actually get a copy myself (my console had just broken) and all my friends had memorized all the frames and such and knew how to use all the fancy loops in actual play. oddly enough, though, I tend to still be able to play well against such players just cause my playing style is apparently so opposite of convention, pro players can't predict it.

I used to have so much fun with may's dust. my friends expected mix-ups in all the places I never felt like using it. I had similar experiences with mech-hisui's ex-shield back when act cadenza was popular (I haven't played much of actress again).

nowadays, I only have one person nearby who plays well, and he's more into soul calibur (was the best player around with the umbrella sword girl apparently). He's still pretty good, just cause of the aspects that still relate, but he tends to misinterpret game mechanics a lot.

I really like the idea of guilty coming back for another game or two, just cause I think that series was a lot better than blazblue. Even so, I tend to prefer doujin fighters, just cause I really don't like the visual asthetics that go into the higher end fighting games. Skullgirls, especially, I really can't stand. my favorite is touhou hisou tensoku.

Enigma
Veteran

#5 Post by Enigma »

You played May? According to the recent change list, she's seen better days. Not horrible though. I'm really excited for it, if you're looking to get back into GG now's the time, everone is changing greatly. As for loops, I find it funny you mentioned skullgirls which has combos that look like paragraphs.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

I prefer something like Virtual-On. It's not fighting game per se... Anyway, there isn't much competition/tournaments here. And even if there are, they will be dancing, Winning Eleven, MMORPG, or FPS one... and I'm not really interested in those (nor that good at playing those).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

#7 Post by silenteve »

Does Super Mario Smash Bros. count, because I constantly have competitions between my friends and classmates because of this game?
DDR doesn't count, but I play it all the time and I'm decent.
I do play Street Fighter at local competitions every once in awhile too.
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#8 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Never been in any real tournaments, but wish I had.

I used to live near a highschool (when I was about 18), and one of my flatmates was a student there. Every day she used to invite guys there who liked tekken, and I'd destroy them. Having countless different people to play against helped a lot.

I did play a tekken dark resurrection tournament once, but I don't think it really counts. My world ranking was 23.

I also played soul calibre 3 against the female UK soul calibre 2 champ. I won 28 out of 30 games.

Hmmm... what else...

I live in Tokyo, and can beat most people at tekken at the arcades. That said, I've also had one dude completely destroy me in every game. Almost perfects every time. Japanese people are on a whole different level.

Oh, and I am pretty bad at streetfighter.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#9 Post by HikkiPanda »

I used to play KOF 99 with my friends in college. In my group, I was the guardian of the first gate, meaning that everyone who want to challenge my group they have to fight me first (it also means that I was the weakest in my group T__T - I lost around 98% of battle against my friends >.< ).

My greatest moment when there is a group of strangers challenged my groups. Those are the rare moments where I can taste victory ^^

I stopped playing after KOF 2000 was released, since Kensou (he's weak enough already >.<) got nerved and Bao was removed

Enigma
Veteran

#10 Post by Enigma »

HikkiPanda wrote:I used to play KOF 99 with my friends in college. In my group, I was the guardian of the first gate, meaning that everyone who want to challenge my group they have to fight me first (it also means that I was the weakest in my group T__T - I lost around 98% of battle against my friends >.< ).

My greatest moment when there is a group of strangers challenged my groups. Those are the rare moments where I can taste victory ^^

I stopped playing after KOF 2000 was released, since Kensou (he's weak enough already >.<) got nerved and Bao was removed
If I stopped playing when my characters were nerfed, I'd never play any games at all (low teir hero). I did play the new KOF for a little bit but I didn't really like the characters, and lack of airdashes was weird to me. Recently though it looks like Johnny got buffed in GG so I'm happy.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

silenteve wrote:Does Super Mario Smash Bros. count, because I constantly have competitions between my friends and classmates because of this game?
If you're playing Brawl (Wii version), then you're pretty much playing the most unbalanced fighting game on the market. Some characters are horribly overpowered (Mr. Game&Watch, anyone?), there are good and bad versions of the literally same character (Link/Toon Link), and in any competetive tournament, you see maybe eight characters of the entire set used at all. Such a pity; the game can be really fun if nobody's really good at it.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#12 Post by HikkiPanda »

Enigma wrote:If I stopped playing when my characters were nerfed, I'd never play any games at all (low teir hero). I did play the new KOF for a little bit but I didn't really like the characters, and lack of airdashes was weird to me. Recently though it looks like Johnny got buffed in GG so I'm happy.
when the game is not fun anymore it will be a pain to keep playing ^^ ... . and playing an imbalance game where your favorite character is already in low tier (and still got nerved after that) is even more painful ... T__T

I only use Kensou, Bao, Athena, Xiang Fei. Kensou was nerved, Bao and Xiang Fei were removed. I can't even play Athena that well, the only reason I use her is because Kensou loves her. With those reason I think I do the right thing by quitting ^^;

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#13 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Maybe I'm strange, but I love handicaps in fighting games. It forces me to try harder, think faster, and come up with better strategies. It's exactly the same as doing martial arts.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#14 Post by Taleweaver »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:Maybe I'm strange, but I love handicaps in fighting games. It forces me to try harder, think faster, and come up with better strategies. It's exactly the same as doing martial arts.
Try playing Captain Falcon in Smash Bros Brawl against Mr. Game&Watch. There literally are no winning strategies against a character who moves faster, recovers faster and hits much quicker and has combo abilites you can only dream of.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#15 Post by LVUER »

In the end, it's up to player's skill, right? I still remembered when I play Need For Speed 2 (not a fighting game, I know). I raced against my brother. I used a slow car with the best handling and he used the best car in the game (all stats highest except for handling which is a little bit lower than my car). We raced in circular racing track that usually used in Indy race (similar to race track in Pixar's "Car"). It seemed obvious that my bro will won, but not only I beat him, I also broke the track and lap record. He never wanted to race against me ever since that time.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW