Locked-In [mystery, drama] - 100% - FINISHED

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Censor
Organization: Lucky Special Games
itch: saguarofoo

Locked-In [mystery, drama] - 100% - FINISHED

#1 Post by saguaro »

Locked-In is a short VN about Jacqueline Brown, a business executive who has a car accident that leaves her paralyzed and blind. Jacqueline struggles to remember what happened to her, and in the third act of the game, she must decide who she can trust: her personal assistant, her sister, or her soon-to-be ex-wife.

Image Image Image

DEMOS
[Demos removed]

I am looking for criticism, so if you do take the time to play and see anything you feel could be improved or is stupid or whatever, let me know.

The game is about 80% complete. The story and script are finished, but all of the menu screens need to be customized. I want to add more animations (I want to animate the crows, for example). I am trying to decide if I should attempt to animate the crowds in the backgrounds of the restaurant and café scenes. The final version will have 8 or 9 endings based on the player's choices in the last act, and persistent variables will allow skipping between the first three acts, so hopefully people will find some replayability there.

This was part of a personal challenge to make a short VN in two weeks (failed!) using only free resources (passed--so far). I've found some $$ sound effects I really want, so I will probably end up shelling out a little in the end.

Statistics (for the current version of the game, not the demo):
The game contains 348 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 4,225 words,
for an average of 12.1 words per screen.
The game contains 12 menus
Last edited by saguaro on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Egressus
Veteran
Projects: Things Not Seen

Re: Locked-In [mystery, drama] - [DEMO]

#2 Post by Egressus »

Looking good! What is in the demo? The first 2 acts?
Hiatus of hiatuses

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#3 Post by kaleidofish »

Wow, the way those animations worked with the sound and music and everything else...that was just great. The whole time I read through your visual novel, I kept thinking, "I have to learn how to do this some day." The demo might not have been that long writing-wise, but I kept stopping the story to roll-back and replay the animations. The storyline was definitely intriguing, too. Can't wait to play it when it's finished!

Caught a few mistakes. I'll put them under a spoiler cut.
"It was the only way I could deal handle it."

"How long has this been going on?" (Okay, I wrote this sentence into my notes but I don't know why I wrote it exactly. CTRL+F it in your script and double-check...I might have noted it because of the pacing or something like that.)

"sponsor," not "sponser"

"I've earned the right, I'm the one that keeps everything together, I'm the one that makes the money." run-on sentence?

"...I was foretting"
It was hard for me to be super critical, but hopefully those mistakes I caught will help you out. Good luck with finishing this! :D
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by saguaro »

Egressus wrote:Looking good! What is in the demo? The first 2 acts?
It's the first two acts and the intro of the third. Basically, the demo stops right before you get to make decisions that determine the ending.
kaleidofish wrote:Wow, the way those animations worked with the sound and music and everything else...that was just great. The whole time I read through your visual novel, I kept thinking, "I have to learn how to do this some day." The demo might not have been that long writing-wise, but I kept stopping the story to roll-back and replay the animations. The storyline was definitely intriguing, too. Can't wait to play it when it's finished!
I'm glad the animations worked out. The graphics are simple so I was hoping ATL could help maintain visual interest. I will release the script.rpy when I release the game, for those who are curious about the different effects.
Caught a few mistakes. I'll put them under a spoiler cut.
I will fix these, thanks a lot for playing and keeping track of them. It's good to have fresh eyes to catch that stuff.
Last edited by saguaro on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Egressus
Veteran
Projects: Things Not Seen

#5 Post by Egressus »

I KNOW YOU'RE LOOKING FOR CRITICISM BUT IT'S TOO GORGEOUS ;_____;
The backgrounds are gorgeous, the animations are amazing, I totally adore the dictionary entries, Jac's text box is just beautiful, even with the simplicity.
You're really releasing the rpy? ;u;

"She wanted to be invovled"
"Do Not Resucitate"
"Magical Jewlery"
Hiatus of hiatuses

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by saguaro »

Aw, you're too good to me. Thanks for those typos, BTW.

AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

#7 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

Is there a demo for mac or linux? I want to try it out. =]
Live Life Heroically

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Locked-In [mystery, drama] - [DEMO] - 80% Complete

#8 Post by saguaro »

Shore. There you go.

[Demos removed]
Last edited by saguaro on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

sapiboonggames
Veteran
Completed: I Love You, Brother [BxB]

#9 Post by sapiboonggames »

Played the demo. I love how detailed it is.
The thing I love especially is the animation. It's too brilliant~!
I think there's nothing to change, they're all already good! I hope you can finish this game soon, am so gonna play it when it's finished :)
Visit my website: http://www.sapiboong.com

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by saguaro »

Thanks for trying it out. I'm shooting for the next month, but we'll see.

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by saguaro »

Making some changes based on critiques given here on the forum.

The "character intro" screens were actually the first graphics I made for this game and it shows. They are hideous; this is how we learn. So I've tried to make them more legible/eye-friendly and added some ease ANIMASHUNS because I must. do. that.

I have a list of THINGS MUST FIX and no matter how many things I mark off it just keeps growing. Awesome!

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#12 Post by FatUnicornGames »

This really looks fantastic. Really clean and interesting. I would be curious to poke through your code sometime to see how you got those animated bits to work so well! atl is something I am still trying to learn.

I am interested to learn how the story goes too! Good luck with everything.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by saguaro »

Thank you for your interest.

Yeah, I am hoping when the script is out people can either use it to learn or, if they already know ATL, show me better/more efficient ways to implement some of those effects.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#14 Post by Gear »

I wish I could offer critique, but...there's so much I want to learn from your game! Argh! It is the coolest KN I've ever seen. I can't wait for the final!
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Graph
Veteran
Completed: Touhou Mecha Chap. 1
Projects: Touhou Mecha, Eastern Starlight Romance
Organization: Dai-Sukima Dan

#15 Post by Graph »

This game has a really interesting style to it. Love the combination of silhouettes and ornate patterns. Writing's also very directed and maintains my interest, which works great for me.

Although, I had a kind of hard time remembering who I've seen before because everyone is in silhouette. I could recognize Jacqueline by the end since she's usually present and on the left side. And Charles because he's the only man. But everyone else I had a hard time remembering because they didn't have any real distinguishing features. I might be the only one having this problem though since I have a bad time remembering peoples' names IRL as well.

One thing you could try is to add more spot-color details on the sprites, like the white collars that everyone seems to have. Maybe have some minimal color, like for example have one of them wearing a green ribbon... well, I'm not sure how much distinction is acceptable in this very business-like setting you've created though.

But there's some real interesting ideas in this KN, and I'd love to play through the whole thing when you're done.