Renai Game Developer's Wishlist

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Renai Game Developer's Wishlist

#1 Post by DaFool »

Well since its the season of giving and receiving gifts, it may be a good time to drum up people to mention what they really want to aid them in their gamemaking.

Yeah, yeah, some might have everything at their disposal already. And a good default answer is 'Need more Time'.

But maybe there is a wish that can be made by some member of this forum. Like for example, a GUI toolkit, more resources (be specific). It's to help those of us who are already doing such things or thinking of doing such things.

But don't expect the presents to arrive until next year! :D

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#2 Post by EwanG »

My list - YMMV:

1) Character Generator - So that a large cast can be created that appear to be in a similar style. Right now your choices are to make them all yourself, or to combine several different sets that don't look like they belong together.

2) Scene Generator - Again, it would be nice to say (as in my current example) that I want a generic forest, and then be able to clear out some timber to put up a few cabins. Similarly to have a generic bedroom that can be accessorized to make each one a bit unique.

3) Text to speech engine that sounds like a real person - Let's just say that it would make using random events and customizations simpler. It wouldn't necessarily have to do all of a script, but perhaps take samples from a voice character, and then sound the same. For example, in Senior Year I have the player enter their name. The voice actors can't do 200 different possible names, because there are still a lot that wouldn't be covered, and the editing would probably be noticeable. But if an engine could tack it on while playing...

Once you have those, you can create quite complex setups in a one or two person shop.

FWIW,
Ewan

Mihel
Regular
Projects: Foxtaile, Dream Chasers, Wedding Vows

#3 Post by Mihel »

1) Propellorheads' Reason. I think the reasons for this should be obvious :P
2) A plugin for Ren'Py that allows for dynamic music playback - that is, it allows for the gamemaker to simulate a real soundtrack by stitching together different files and things. Fun fun fun! (Any Python programmers out there?)
3) Instrumentalists. If I could get hold of a live orchestra... :P
4) Money. It always helps :mrgreen:

Yeah. A music geek I...
Will you stay here for a while, dear, 'til the radio plays something familiar?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Mihel wrote:2) A plugin for Ren'Py that allows for dynamic music playback - that is, it allows for the gamemaker to simulate a real soundtrack by stitching together different files and things. Fun fun fun!
Actually, support for this has been in modern version of Ren'Py. It was first done in Go! Magical Boy, and I made it easier to use a few versions later. Basically, you just use lists of short segments, and then use renpy.music.queue to switch between them.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#5 Post by F.I.A »

A music generator which can make any bgm of any genres. Because I know nothing about music making. :D

Well, for a more realistic wish, maybe a collection of +500 free musics sort up by genres which I can pick on without going through multiple japanese character sites.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

Hmmm, I haven't been searching through free music sites, but is it sort of true that there's a general lack of certain genre music? Like for example, there's a smattering of rock / pop / jazz / techno, but not enough (or not at all) of soundtrack / OST type stuff?

Like for example, music that evokes warfare, high drama, Celtic music, epic scores.

Because I think that if people had access to soundtrack type music, they will be inspired to do stories besides the usual School Life (which usually comes with your run-of-the-mill looping midi track)

Mihel
Regular

#7 Post by Mihel »

PyTom wrote:
Mihel wrote:2) A plugin for Ren'Py that allows for dynamic music playback - that is, it allows for the gamemaker to simulate a real soundtrack by stitching together different files and things. Fun fun fun!
Actually, support for this has been in modern version of Ren'Py. It was first done in Go! Magical Boy, and I made it easier to use a few versions later. Basically, you just use lists of short segments, and then use renpy.music.queue to switch between them.
But can you imagine hearing the same short loop over and over and over and over again? Because in order to switch in real time the loops would have to be very very short. And then the script would be 50% queue statements. At least, if I had the reigns :P I would want to have the music morph as the player gets to certain points: and this means that it would have to stop in the middle of one song, load a transition that's specifically tailored for where in the first song stopped, and then switch to the second without the user noticing. queue() just waits until the first song is over, and simply stopping the song, even with crossfading, doesn't allow for a smooth transition.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#8 Post by yummy »

Mihel wrote:I would want to have the music morph as the player gets to certain points: and this means that it would have to stop in the middle of one song, load a transition that's specifically tailored for where in the first song stopped, and then switch to the second without the user noticing. queue() just waits until the first song is over, and simply stopping the song, even with crossfading, doesn't allow for a smooth transition.
Yup, it would help if you planned some dramatic moments in your storyplay, avoid endless music loops...

So here's my wishlist:
1)Main menu and Game menu customizers (to shape, color and configure the menus appearance)
2)Brainstorming teams (sometimes we need revolutionnary ideas)
3)A CG artist generator (makes CG artists appear when you need them)

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#9 Post by Enerccio »

1. CG and Character generator
2. money (lot, lol)
3. I wish taht day would have 48 hours... :lol:
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#10 Post by papillon »

Dedicated and verbose testers with a looooooot of time on their hands. :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#11 Post by PyTom »

But can you imagine hearing the same short loop over and over and over and over again?
This is why Ren'Py supports lists of segments, rather then single segments. Right now, one can write:

Code: Select all

$ renpy.music.play([ 'a.ogg', 'b.ogg', 'c.ogg'])

"Hit me!"

$ renpy.music.queue('abc_to_def.ogg')
$ renpy.music.queue(['d.ogg', 'e.ogg', 'f.ogg'], clear_queue=False)

"Ouch!"
This starts off by looping a, b, c, a, b, c, ... while showing "Hit Me". When the user clicks, the currently playing file will finish, and then abc_to_def will play, followed by a loop of d, e, f, d, e, f, ...

The loops should be sample-accurate, so there won't be a pause when playing tracks, unless the pause is in the sound files themselves.

The only thing that's missing is we don't allow for separate transitions from a, b, or c to d... since right now there's no way to know what music is playing. I might add that in...

Mihel
Regular

#12 Post by Mihel »

PyTom wrote:
But can you imagine hearing the same short loop over and over and over and over again?
This is why Ren'Py supports lists of segments, rather then single segments. Right now, one can write:

Code: Select all

$ renpy.music.play([ 'a.ogg', 'b.ogg', 'c.ogg'])

"Hit me!"

$ renpy.music.queue('abc_to_def.ogg')
$ renpy.music.queue(['d.ogg', 'e.ogg', 'f.ogg'], clear_queue=False)

"Ouch!"
This starts off by looping a, b, c, a, b, c, ... while showing "Hit Me". When the user clicks, the currently playing file will finish, and then abc_to_def will play, followed by a loop of d, e, f, d, e, f, ...
You mean this is why I love Ren'Py :P Thankee for pointing that out, since I obviously can't read the documentation properly on my own :roll:
PyTom wrote:The loops should be sample-accurate, so there won't be a pause when playing tracks, unless the pause is in the sound files themselves.

The only thing that's missing is we don't allow for separate transitions from a, b, or c to d... since right now there's no way to know what music is playing. I might add that in...
If you add that I will love you forever.

And I suppose that does work well enough, since if each of a.ogg, b.ogg, and c.ogg are two-bar phrases in a larger piece, then the transition only has to work with the larger harmonic structure of that section.

I do hope that one can specify the same file more than once. Or is that too much to ask? (i.e., if I had a=verse and b=chorus, a standard AABA song would be [a.ogg, a.ogg, b.ogg, a.ogg]?)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#13 Post by PyTom »

Um... since you seem to be a guy, how 'bout I add it in and we call it a day, alright?
I do hope that one can specify the same file more than once. Or is that too much to ask? (i.e., if I had a=verse and b=chorus, a standard AABA song would be [a.ogg, a.ogg, b.ogg, a.ogg]?)
Yeah. (Well, ['a.ogg', 'a.ogg', 'b.ogg', 'a.ogg'], but who's counting.) We do support listing the same file more than once.

Mihel
Regular

#14 Post by Mihel »

PyTom wrote:
Um... since you seem to be a guy, how 'bout I add it in and we call it a day, alright?
Fine, I'll just worship you from afar :P It would've been difficult to explain to my girlfriend anyway...
PyTom wrote:
Yeah. (Well, ['a.ogg', 'a.ogg', 'b.ogg', 'a.ogg'], but who's counting.) We do support listing the same file more than once.
Huzzah! Thanks for the info.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#15 Post by mugenjohncel »

Hmm...

Wish No.1
Better documentation on UI with working example and a lot of helpfull comments on the code.

Wish No.2 (For Mikey)
Still figuring how he does that Main Menu screen
(The one with rotating choices and stuff)

Teach us how you do such things... please.

Wish No.3 (For Mikey... again)
That text in O3... how did you do that?
A tutorial would be nice... please

Wish No.4
A tutorial on how to prevent a user from clicking or doing anything for a specified amount of time.

Ren'py pause doesn't work the way I wanted it and no idea how to use U.I pause.

Reason:
I wanted a segment animated and wanted to show it the way it was meant to be... abrupt user input screws up everything.

Oh!... and Happy New Year to everybody! :)