looking for a character artist

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Sailor Kitty
Veteran

looking for a character artist

#1 Post by Sailor Kitty »

i am making a kinetic mystery novel about some kids who are acused of murder and arrested. then a freind comes up and saves them by showing evidence that they did not do it. she is thrown in jail instead. the boys find a way to trick the only gaurd (the prison is mostly electronic.) and one of the boys keep her company, one at a time, one each day. i have finished a storyboard for the prolouge.

am looking for backround and charcter artists. please send a fully coulord sample of your work to sailorkitty_@hellokitty.com

storyboard for prolouge link:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q74/ ... review.jpg

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#2 Post by PrettySammy09 »

The storyboard's a bit small. ^^;;; Could you enlarge it a little? ^.^

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

Using storyboards is a good idea.

But I feel I have to tell you exactly what my worries are.

To date the only epic-length OEL kinetic novel I know is Gakuen Redux...to cut down on production it used photoshopped black and white images, but even then the image count was in the hundreds. Among works in progress, the ones that are most likely to make it are where the writer and artist are the same person. Otherwise it seems one has to be a very good friend and acquaintance with the artist already or even be willing to pay for art.
The completed kinetic novels here where the artist(s) were just recruited tend to be very short. In fact, even multiple artists may be required for a short game. So it wouldn't be a problem if your game was short.

Such is the problem in my opinion that even with one recent demo, Echoes of Thunder, which received praise even from the translators' community, they had no choice to to make the rest of the kinetic novel more standard VN with less cinematic event CGs and to decide to sell their work to recoup the cost of their efforts.

You could finish the game without art, then call for artists. You might want to make a sound novel and use photograph backgrounds first. Or it might be a better idea to call for linework instead of fully colored works first so that if its not your style the effort for coloring wouldn't be wasted; besides there are plenty of colorists out there who could even bring out the best from mediocre linework.

Basically what I'm trying to say is we don't know what the potential total image count for this project is. I think other background and character artists might agree that its hard to commit when one doesn't know the full scope of the project.

The reason I say this is because we all want to avoid projects being stuck in development hell or remaining perpetually unfinished. I would definitely do more planning first.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#4 Post by Watercolorheart »

Yeah, it sort of seems like you only have an idea so far ... is the script complete yet?
I'm not even the same person anymore