[Z♪assan Workshop] Composing music for your stories

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
Ziassan
Veteran

[Z♪assan Workshop] Composing music for your stories

#1 Post by Ziassan »

*overture ♪*

Hi ! I'm Ziassan, music composer, currently open for requests.
You'll find examples of my work below.

I started composing music 5 years ago, after I graduated from a piano formation.
I live in Paris, but I had the chance to work with people all around the world over the years, often for indie games (mostly Visual Novel) or audio books, as well as short video sequences.
I was very active in this community some years ago and I'm still involved in things like NanoReno.

You can find my soundcloud, soon reaching 500 000 plays, here : https://soundcloud.com/ziassan
A music I made for a video opening : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3xiktqzI6g

If working together come through your mind, or you're wondering about price and such, just a simple PM describing what you want or your question is enough, be sure I'll reply asap. I'm not actually working for free anymore, but I can make 1 or 2 free songs as proof of confidence beforehand. I can provide contacts to most of the people I worked with, if you want feedback beforehand.

...............................................................................................
Portfolio

I had a lot of requests over the past years so I will only link here some of those works.

Umbra : https://soundcloud.com/ziassan/sets/umbra-ost
The music requested had to be a simple yet effective soundtrack, mostly piano & music box.

Spiral Destiny: https://soundcloud.com/ziassan/sets/ost ... destiny-vn
(game demo linked here : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/380 ... 29-all.zip)

Rising Angel - Opening : https://soundcloud.com/ziassan/rising-angel-opening

And the music video :

The opening theme of a 1h30 french video creation "Gearwheel Madness", the 3D work was done by the project director, and I had to make a music for it.
The request was quite uncommon, basically doing an epic opening, while making several musical references to different existing tracks.
Last edited by Ziassan on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 43 times in total.

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

Re: [Ziassan Summer] Piano/musicbox songs on request

#2 Post by Michiyo6918 »

Wah, a sound track huh? I really love your music! Can I ask for one?

This is the project I'm working on. I have for myself a team with 2 translators and 1 BG artist. I've finished most of the sprite and am on the way working for a demo. I can ensure to you that this project will be finished (Or else I will die a really painful death due to my team's anger...)

I'm not really good with music so I don't know how to describe it (plus, this is my first time ever asked for a piece of music...) but... well... a bgm that can be use in a normal situation? Either piano or music box... ugh, maybe piano? The melody should be happy and lively, not too hyper but not too tense (the game is not that angst anyway)... something like the first part of the "Airiness days" track in Spiral Destiny.

I probably should look for a composer myself too...
Btw, I really like the "Renascence" track! It's beautiful...
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

Ziassan
Veteran

#3 Post by Ziassan »

Michiyo6918 wrote:Wah, a sound track huh? I really love your music! Can I ask for one?
The only purpose of this thread is to make people ask songs and then glady reject them, sorry~

Joke aside, of course you can.

If I understand, you want a bright and a bit cheerful piece of piano.
Alright, I'll work on that Michiyo, I'll PM you the thing when it'll be finished.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#4 Post by Sharm »

I really like inconstance, is there more of it or more of your music like it? I really like the music box tracks, they have a nice melancholy or nostalgia.

Half of me is tempted to ask for music for Twin Crowns and the other half wants to do the whole game by myself (even though I don't know what I'm doing with music). I think hold off on requesting, you're probably going to be overwhelmed by requests soon anyway, and I think I'd like the whole game's music done by one musician so the songs match. Your music is really nice though, I'll keep you in mind for paid work later.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Ziassan
Veteran

Re: [Z♪assan Summer] Piano & Musicbox songs, on request (fre

#5 Post by Ziassan »

Thanks for your listens - Soundcloud being limited in total time these tracks are just representative samples. For instance if you ask "a track in the feel of Inconstance", that will work. If you speak about the etheral feel, maybe that kind of melody https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2379296/The_great_staze.ogg ?

Your project is maybe a bit too much at the start to search for a composer I think, it's something that comes often a bit later in the advancement. If by that time you're still interested and searching for composer, notice me about that.

sako

#6 Post by sako »

Can i make a request????? :3 a nostalgic music box please :3 :3 :3

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by CheeryMoya »

Already asked on Skype for a random piano song where someone's showing off their skills and they're pulling off all the sweet tricks they know to impress whoever's listening. A bit of improvisation, the player is very skilled at the piano. Mood is casual, happy, everyone's doing alright. No need to loop the song. Feel free to do this as the last request in case there's a bit you really liked but it didn't fit in any of the other songs.

Ziassan
Veteran

#8 Post by Ziassan »

sako > Alright, for which use ? (project or anything)

CheeryMoya > Of course miss~

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#9 Post by Sharm »

It's funny to think of it being too early for a composer, since I know exactly what I need. But you're right, I need to have a lot more on "paper" before I can show other people what's in my head.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Ziassan
Veteran

#10 Post by Ziassan »

First request almost done (little corrections to do around the middle) : https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2379296/reques ... y_calm.ogg

Sharm > There is also another point that can be important about that : it's a bit like the voices in VN, that comes in last because if something changes in the script, all the concerned part is to be changed. The same goes sometimes with music, I made 12 tracks for the demo of Spiral Destiny, more than half of them will probably not be used in the story because of important changes.
That's also why in games and movies, the composer comes mostly after the others people. I worked on a little movie with a friend and it's even more significant : each little change in the movie after the music is done means remaking the song to follow the time.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#11 Post by Kokoro Hane »

How much would you cost for doing a soundtrack of a commercial effort?

And as for free songs, I might ask for a couple for Operation: Magic Hero (if two are allowed).
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Ziassan
Veteran

#12 Post by Ziassan »

Kokoro > You may PM me the description of your project with what you would want in term of size & kind/style of music, and the budget you have (and little details like deadlines, if commercial or not, etc.). I also can work with a singer for vocal OP/ED.
Hmm while a track can ask 3 hours to 10+ hours depending on the quality/complexity the creator want, you'll not find a lot of composers showing fixed price in public, it's something flowing.

For the piano songs, you're welcome - just describe which scene/mood you want to link to these two tracks. Is that for the same project ? (in the case we'd end up working on it, I'd read your story before and also use that input for the piano tracks)
Oh also, I see no thread link for Magic Hero, would you have some place with more infos to help me for the pianos tracks ?

Arelune
Regular

#13 Post by Arelune »

Ooooh, music boxes? I love them! :D
Can I request one just for myself, not for a project? (Though if I really like it and it fits a future project, I can't garantee I won't use it. With your permission and credit of course. )

I'd love a somewhat depressed music box song. Something bad has just happened and things seem a bit hopeless. For example, in some stories there's a twist or death that make things seem impossible.

-Hopes you'll make it-

Ziassan
Veteran

#14 Post by Ziassan »

Arelune > Not too much request waiting so okay for this time. Btw I directly started and finished your request.
3 request finished :

Arelune
Regular

#15 Post by Arelune »

I really didn't expect it so fast!
Thank you~ It's great. :mrgreen: