Coming Out On Top (BxB, Dating, Comedy) (News 11/15)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Re: Coming Out On Top (BxB, Dating, Comedy) - NEWS 7/26

#91 Post by Obscura »

Good to know Hijiri. I live in a small town--not a whole lot of research I can do unless I take a 4-5 hour drive.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

KashyaCharsi
Regular

#92 Post by KashyaCharsi »

Just because logically you wouldn't expect many women go there.

koneko

#93 Post by koneko »

So far I have only just started it, but I really like the game, it has a wonderful humor, a great setting, and the main character is likeable and easy to live yourself into, if that's the right way to phrase it.
Now, making this a real harem game would be great, it would be lovely to have more than alex, even if he in himself is quiet lovely.
But now that you have the adult working type, it would be lovely to have at least one guy around Mark's own age.

Aside from that, the game is very nice, have you considered taking the traces of sexual innuendo and maybe making a fullfledge adult version of the game?
It would be kinda awesome, but aside from that the game is certainly wonderful without it aswell, just curious.
Hope you stick to it, and we can enjoy the fruits of your hard work soon again heh.

KashyaCharsi
Regular

#94 Post by KashyaCharsi »

This age difference wasn't a big deal either. 20 with 30 is already ok.

Moon20
Regular

#95 Post by Moon20 »

Yes i think so to at make this fullfledge adult version of this game whould be very awsome, I love Yaoi games whit ero scence or not ero scence, But differnt that this game is so awsome, I fell tottaly in love whit this game and im looking forward to play next update of this game.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#96 Post by Obscura »

@Kashya. I've been to bars (hetero) where there was seriously just one bathroom for everybody...I think you can see women in gay bars too (depending on the bar.)
website

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#97 Post by Obscura »

koneko wrote:So far I have only just started it, but I really like the game, it has a wonderful humor, a great setting, and the main character is likeable and easy to live yourself into, if that's the right way to phrase it.
Now, making this a real harem game would be great, it would be lovely to have more than alex, even if he in himself is quiet lovely.
But now that you have the adult working type, it would be lovely to have at least one guy around Mark's own age.

Aside from that, the game is very nice, have you considered taking the traces of sexual innuendo and maybe making a fullfledge adult version of the game?
It would be kinda awesome, but aside from that the game is certainly wonderful without it aswell, just curious.
Hope you stick to it, and we can enjoy the fruits of your hard work soon again heh.
Oh my, thank you!!!! For the full version I have three more guys, all around Mark's age. I've already planned them out...all three stories are intense. Plus there's a fourth relationship I'll be adding but you'll probably figure it out after you've played.

I totally would like to a full fledged adult game. Not sure how to work it out at the moment. I'm releasing a revamped version of Coming Out On Top called Redux in August, and then will be starting work on the full version shortly afterwards. I'm thinking I might do a Kickstarter and put the adult version as one of the tiers...but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your comments, koneko. I really appreciate that you took the time to give me feedback! Hope you enjoy the game. If you've got negative feedback as well, I'm all ears, too.
website

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#98 Post by Obscura »

Moon20 wrote:Yes i think so to at make this fullfledge adult version of this game whould be very awsome, I love Yaoi games whit ero scence or not ero scence, But differnt that this game is so awsome, I fell tottaly in love whit this game and im looking forward to play next update of this game.
Thanks for your comments Moon--if I can get my drawing skills high enough I will pursue the adult version eventually!!! The revamped version in August will have some CGs...you can let me know then if you think my art's good enough for *ahem* adult stuff.
website

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#99 Post by FatUnicornGames »

@Kashya - Not necessarily. I have gay friends and we go to the gay bars together. It isn't like I go to meet men. It is actually kind of nice to not worry about it for an evening.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Coming Out On Top (BxB, Dating, Comedy) - MINOR UPDATE 8

#100 Post by Obscura »

Minor update for 8/1/12:

Version 1.5. Minor update, fixing typos and removing the link that goes to a blank credits screen. Link to file at the top of thread.
website

Moon20
Regular

#101 Post by Moon20 »

Your are very velcomme Obscura, and When i play the rewamped version i August i shall tell you at you have gotten good in drawing or not. I shall promise that Obscura

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#102 Post by CheeryMoya »

A wild CheeryMoya has appeared!
Alright, so you already saw me tear apart play COoT on tumblr and I'll clean up my LP soon, but I should give a proper and intelligent review first :'D

I've said this before, but I'm not in the audience for yaoi/yuri works, meaning I usually won't go out of my way to try them out because of the genre. If a game I'm already playing has those elements I'll play them for 100% completion, but I don't hunt those games down. TBH I waited a bit before following progress on this game but at the time I didn't have the time to keep up with the updates or comment. Then, I waited a little more after you released it to see what other people said. If the reviews were positive, I'd give it a whirl.

And well, you know I enjoyed playing :3 You wave a few familiar tropes in front of us: school (even if it's college),
forbidden student-teacher romances,
and a few miscellaneous ones. What I really liked though was the fact that there was something else in the story besides chasing romance, an actual obstacle to Mark and Alex's relationship. Everyone played their roles and the story unfurled at a good speed, so I was intrigued the whole way through.
I did have a few qualms/questions though, like in the beginning getting past all that filler in the dialogue annoyed me a little. I know Mark was trying to stall for time... but if he wanted to come out of the closet, wouldn't he just want to get it over with? Besides that, the times when you went into purple prose ("His eyes, the color of a winter sky, shoot you a look that makes your heart race." Things like that) also felt a little out of place, but I get the feeling it was because I had to constantly click to show one sentence on the screen. It wouldn't hurt to combine a few lines together :/
Character development was topnotch, except when you first talk with Penny and Ian (once again, beginning!). I know that Mark already knew them before the game started, but it felt like you tossed them into a salad with Mark and told the reader to enjoy it without knowing what ingredients were in it. Does that make sense? They chatter away while I feel like I'm sitting there with a bunch of strangers, which probably wasn't your intent :/
Also, I want to ask if you wanted to address homophobia in this game or if you didn't, because there weren't any characters who really showed that type of attitude in the story. It could be explained by stating that Orlin's climate towards LGBT is accepting, but I'm curious nonetheless.
For the most part, your writing style is entertaining and can hold the reader's interest in order to make them continue reading, and it flows well. Dialogue is witty and the jokes made me smile sometimes c:

Art was kind to the eyes, but Penny and Ian's hair could afford to be less glossy IMO. I'm sure you've gotten a few comments about how thick Mark and Ian's necks are? If not, now you have. Necks a little smaller than the head they support, but other than that, anatomy looks fine :3

Music was pretty good too, it would take a long time for me to get tired of it. The only problem I had with it was that sometimes the song would feel inappropriate for the scene because of a joke a character would say that didn't match the tense music playing in the background. While the main genre of this game is Comedy, there should be times when the jokes are dropped for the sake of what's happening in the scene. IDK, could be me though :C

And sorry if I'm regurgitating a lot of the feedback you already got so far, I don't feel like sifting through 100 other comments >_> I'd give Redux a play once you're done since the extra content will be worth it. COoT is a debut title you can be proud of definitely.
I'd write more, but my mom is threatening to take my laptop away if I don't go to sleep right now. Expect your LP soon O:

KashyaCharsi
Regular

#103 Post by KashyaCharsi »

I know I don't have too much people skills, but it seems weird to me that a single encounter is enough for both of them to become distractingly lovesick (besides, if I were in that awkward situation, I would probably just say "sorry, I didn't know", then laugh it off), and inconsistent of Alex to dread scandal and sometimes even treat Mark like a stalker (like "there never, ever, ever will be anything between us, understood?"), but call him aside to his office suspiciously often.

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#104 Post by Starshine »

This game was really fun:
First of all i liked how you was able to choose a first and second name, and it actually appears on you're student card, and sometimes certian characters like Ian for example will address you by you're second name. Penny and Ian were really nice characters, they were ok when the character came out of his closet, i loved when Penny used her phone app to take picture, it was so modern. You must have drawn loads of sprites for this game. Alex and my character got it on in the bar, I eventually found out that Alex... was like some sort of teacher, and if i was that character in real life i would feel ashamed, so i went with the flow and tried to avoid him only to find out he gave me big fat F which resulted in a game over....
Very fun game, so many choices to make, loved Penny she was like a really outgoing character, i wonder if there was any way to date her...
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#105 Post by Hijiri »

Starshine wrote:Very fun game, so many choices to make, loved Penny she was like a really outgoing character, i wonder if there was any way to date her...
...You do know that the MC basicly came out in the game (Hence the "Coming out" in the title)? So do you really think it'd be possible for that?
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."