So who here is making a commercial game?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.

Are you making a Commercial game?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:03 pm

Yes
14%
No
86%

Total votes: 22

sno-dove

So who here is making a commercial game?

#1 Post by sno-dove »

Topic says it all.

Anyone trying to make a commercial game?

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#2 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Not me. Though I think some of the games produced here are definitely commercial quality- if a bit short. I wonder what would happen if the entire community here came together to produce a full-blown 20 hour commercial game with immaculate graphics, eye-popping special effects, and an enthralling storyline.
The amount of cooperation and all the varied styles of talent present here probably render that idea nearly impossible.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#3 Post by mikey »

Well, free is best ^_^. I wouldn't do anything else.
ShiraiJunichi wrote:The amount of cooperation and all the varied styles of talent present here probably render that idea nearly impossible.
Agreed. And, the more people there are the less distinctive that work would be, I'm afraid.

sno-dove

#4 Post by sno-dove »

Free usually mean lack of quality.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by DaFool »

sno-dove wrote:Free usually mean lack of quality.
Uh no.

Free usually means low budget. Since why should one sweat blood and tears for something that earns no compensation, except e-penis points or whatever.

Maybe for art, but not necessarily for software.

Ren'Py is totally free, and surpasses Blade Engine.
(This can be argued) Linux is free and surpasses Windows.

Here's the thing...it was mentioned elsewhere that the shortest commercial games are 4 hours. That means to be able to compete with commercial games, you should have enough shiny content to last 4 hours. Even then people may still feel ripped off, unless you sell for 5 bucks or whatever.

The only way to produce commercial quality scale would be to literally bring talent together physically to work in the same office. There's just no way people communicating via the internet who've never seen each other can pull it off, especially when it requires more than 3 people.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

I suspect the big thing is that free means lack of time, since the creator(s) are working a job, or are a student, or need to do something to support themselves. If, to a first approximation,

art quality = talent * time

then for equal talent, commercial ventures will look better than non-commercial ones, simply because of the time the artists can throw at the project.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by musical74 »

*Agrees with DaFool on this*

Free doesn't mean it's got a lack of quality. Ever played Garden Society Kykuit? Ochi, Ori, Onoe? Both are free games, made by members of this forum. Both are very well done and, frankly, some of the *commercial* games pale to these two. Free means just that - it's something someone did in their spare time, or because they wanted to make a game but it's not their true job. I'd rather play a *free* game that's fun to play over a commercial game that bores me silly.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#8 Post by papillon »

The only way to produce commercial quality scale would be to literally bring talent together physically to work in the same office. There's just no way people communicating via the internet who've never seen each other can pull it off
I'm not sure why you'd make physical proximity rather than money/time the kill factor. Most indies work with contractors for art/music, not in-house. Part of the skillset of the professional artist is being able to understand what the client wants. (Of course, it's the client's responsibility to pick someone suitable for the position in the first place.)

It's a great feeling to hand over a description and a rough sketch to someone and have them give back a beautiful asset. :)

south desert islander
Regular

#9 Post by south desert islander »

I thinks thats pretty much how most small game designers do. They usually rely on several small companies with one specific type of skill and hire them to that skill Ex: music, art, story etc. Using multiple talents from the best you know for the job is needed. I do believe that everyone here could do a large and well done Ren'ai game. But I agree, that not everyone can work with each other. I seen projects fail not because lack of talent, but lack of compatibility from the people producing it.

sno-dove

#10 Post by sno-dove »

I rather play a game that's commercial than something that's free. I think people who say they rather play free games are either cheap or bias since they're part of the lemma soft forum.

Mirielle
Regular
Deviantart: miirne
Soundcloud: mirne-1

#11 Post by Mirielle »

sno-dove wrote:I rather play a game that's commercial than something that's free. I think people who say they rather play free games are either cheap or bias since they're part of the lemma soft forum.
Play Ori, Ochi, Onoe. Then tell me if free games = bad.
Available for voice acting - Please listen to my demo reel!

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

sno-dove wrote:I rather play a game that's commercial than something that's free. I think people who say they rather play free games are either cheap or bias since they're part of the lemma soft forum.
Umm... ouch?
I prefer games with compelling stories, and deep characters. Whether or not it's commercial doesn't fit into the equation. Commercial games tend to have high production value, and that's something to like about them. But such things aren't exclusive to commercial games. And the fan made games can each have their compelling aspects as well.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by musical74 »

When I look at a game I look at three things: Style, plot, and characters - so, in a sense, I look for the same things Shirai does. I have found games that are labelled *FREE* to be better than some that are commercially made. For some of us, money is tight - sometimes very much so :? - so free games are very nice.

And, in addition to playing Ori, Ochi, Onoe, play Garden Society Kykuit...I think both are very well done and are top notch - and they are free.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#14 Post by papillon »

I'd rather just play games that don't suck. :) Cost really isn't that high up my list of things I care about.

(Games that require biofeedback gear and cost several hundreds of dollars automatically suck though.)

south desert islander
Regular

#15 Post by south desert islander »

All of the the above have valid points. The quality of the game is not how much money is thrown into it. O3 is keen example of how much work can be done and still be free for use. Sometimes, with commercial you have to hold back stories a bit for a wider audience to accept, that can be a problem for creators who wish to express their games their way.