Music Question

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

Music Question

#1 Post by musical74 »

Doesn't REALLY fit game making so...

When I try and copy a song from a CD to my computer, it seems to take up a HUGE amount of space - far more than it should. Example is a 3 minute song taking 30 MB. It used to be I could make that same 3 minute song into around 1 MB (Sound recorder took awhile, but it worked!)...is there any way to make the music not be so space hoggish? I know it will take some space but...that 30 MB for one song seems highly outragous.

Hopefully there's some real simple answer (other than *Don't transfer it to the computer*) that I'm just not seeing.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#2 Post by papillon »

sounds like you're ripping straight to wav and not converting to something smaller (or else your codecs are screwy)

some programs will copy into wav first and you have to use a second function to turn them into smaller files...

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

*nods* You can pretty much use the "minutes * 10 = X megs" formulae to know how big it will be as a WAV. What you need is either to fiddle with your ripper configuration (maybe it *can* extract as a MP3 or OGG?) or find a converter (I found dbPowerAmp to be nice but there are a loooot of them out there) and run the WAV files through it to get... whatever you want. MP3 and OGG being the most common formats.

Mirielle
Regular
Deviantart: miirne
Soundcloud: mirne-1

#4 Post by Mirielle »

If it's a .wav use a converter like audacity to get it to .mp3 or .ogg. Free and easy to use.
Available for voice acting - Please listen to my demo reel!