5.6.7 Development Journal

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

5.6.7 Development Journal

#1 Post by PyTom »

While southeast of Nova Scotia, I booted up my laptop in the plane and added a new feature to Ren'Py. The drop_shadow style can now take a list of offsets, as well as a single offset. A list like [ (-1, -1), (1, -1), (1, -1), (1, 1) ] makes for a fairly reasonable way of outlining text.

That started the development drive for 5.6.7.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by monele »

Cool! :D Outlining sounds like a really good feature ^^

Andrea Cavalcanti

#3 Post by Andrea Cavalcanti »

Cool ^o^ That would be a good feature.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Could you use that to get the sfont effect that's in O3?

Mihel
Regular
Projects: Foxtaile, Dream Chasers, Wedding Vows

#5 Post by Mihel »

monele wrote:Cool! :D Outlining sounds like a really good feature ^^
Indeed...

By the way, I never did thank you for adding that music.get_playing function. Thanks! :)
Will you stay here for a while, dear, 'til the radio plays something familiar?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#6 Post by PyTom »

Some new features added last night, when I was lacking Internet:

init python:

This new kind of block is exactly equivalent to a python: block inside an init block. It's there to save me from having to put in two steps of indentation every time I want to use some python code.

python early:

This runs python code when a file is first loaded. This will be used to support user-defined statements... and should not be used for anything else. Really.

And now, PyTom's observations on visiting Nice:

- The people are much nicer than one would be lead to believe by the mainstream media.

- A phrasebook only does good when you carry it with you, rather than leaving it in the hotel. In related news, it helps to know how to say "Excuse Me" in the local language, especially when you're "frakking huge".

- Do not be fooled when standing on something that looks like it appears to be a sidewalk. Cars will drive wherever they are physically able to. So will mopeds, and they're able to go in many more places.

- "Immoblier" is my favorite newly-learned French word,

- Internet access is very expensive here. My hotel charges 17 euro a day... that's alot, in my book.

- Drinks are sold in units of cle. Even an ardent anti-metricist like yours truly knows that cl is centiliters, but no one seems to know what the e stands for. (The best guess from my table at lunch today was "estimated".)

Well, the conference is done, so I can actually spend some time tomorrow getting to see the city, before I fly back on Thursday.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Adorya »

- It should be "Immobilier" instead of "Immoblier", or maybe it's some franglish that mean "I was forgotten" ;)

- Internet in hotels is very expensive because creating a service in there is expensive...instead you could try to go into a cybercafe, their prices are better.

- You got it right, the "e" is for estimated or "environ" :)

And car is indeed an issue in the south of france, and you didn't see yet the traffic in paris.

Well, enjoy your travel while you can, the weather is supposed to be nice now :)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

or maybe it's some franglish that mean "I was forgotten"
Ohh that's so "2 minutes du peuple"-ish ;)

Gosh, expensive internet indeed @_@... That's pretty much what one would pay for a *month* of Internet at home ^^;...

Didn't even know that thing about "CLe" ô_o...

Weather in Nice can only be nice? :3 (oh for once I can do a french-english pun, I'm not letting it pass XD)

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#9 Post by yummy »

I'm just wondering what was the contents of your 33Cl "e" can :p

Enjoy your trip to Nice Pytom, it's a beautiful city. Too bad you came in the middle of "winter", but I guess you hadn't have the choice heh.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#10 Post by PyTom »

Of course, the question remains... why are they citing the estimated volume of a can, rather then the exact volume of the can?

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#11 Post by yummy »

Well, I think that's because in Europe, people might feel ripped off if they didn't get the exact amount of liquid quantity they actually paid. If it's specified in estimated volume, it might be because during the packaging process, the machines fill the cans and bottles and don't exactly mesure what is filled, it might lack or have a surplus of about +/-1%

That's also the case with snacks, like peanuts or popato chips, imagine if you had to add the exact weight by crushing a piece just to match the exact volume... It'd cost more time, since these products are manufactured by thousands each day.

Jake
Support Hero

#12 Post by Jake »

yummy wrote:Well, I think that's because in Europe, people might feel ripped off if they didn't get the exact amount of liquid quantity they actually paid.
It's probably more likely that in Europe, EU politicians think that people might feel ripped off if they didn't get the exact amount of liquid promised...

But yeah, this is the groupculture that infamously tried to introduce an EU directive that stipulated how bent a banana had to be before you could sell it under the name 'banana'. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

PyTom (Not Logged In)

#13 Post by PyTom (Not Logged In) »

Okay, posting from the shared hotel internet.

Today I spent some time touring Nice, and the rest of the day in Monaco, where I actually managed to make money playing roulette in Monte Carlo. Looks like my CS degree actually came in handy for once.

I'm interested in the thread on Ren'Py popularity, but I have a plane to catch tomorrow, so I need to get to be... I'll read it when I get home. Delta flight 83, if anyone cares.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#14 Post by PyTom »

So, I added in user-defined statement support. While this will let other people define their own statements, a big reason for it is to let me easily define a bunch of new statement types.

Here are a few I'm considering:

Music
music play
music queue
music stop

Sound
sound play
sound queue
sound stop

Voice
voice
voice sustain

nvl-mode
clear

The big reasons for making many of these statements is that statements can participate in lint, while python code can't. So in the next version of Ren'Py, one could write:

Code: Select all

music play "foo.ogg"
And lint will check to be sure foo.ogg is loadable.

NetGenSuperstar
Regular

#15 Post by NetGenSuperstar »

That's definitely a good feature. I always wondered why audio-related functions had to be Python code. Having them as statements makes things a lot easier. Plus, self-defined statements have a lot of potential for helping to make more advanced games without having to get Python all mixed in your Ren'Py script, which is sometimes cumbersome.