Dialect/Accent fun!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Dialect/Accent fun!

#1 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I think I need to blow off some steam, so I've decided to have some fun with this. So... a while back, I stumbled upon a fun site. I present to you, "The Dialectizer!" It allows you to input text or a link, and it'll translate it to fun things.
Now, I present to you:

This post in Swedish Chef:

I theenk I need tu bloo ooffff sume-a steem, su I'fe-a deceeded tu hefe-a sume-a foon veet thees. Um gesh dee bork, bork! Su... a vheele-a beck, I stoombled upun a foon seete-a. I present tu yuoo, "Zee Deeelectizer!" It elloos yuoo tu inpoot text oor a leenk, und it'll trunslete-a it tu foon theengs. Um gesh dee bork, bork!

Noo, I present tu yuoo:

This hyar post in hacker:

i think i needt o blo woff some steam, so ive decided to ahve some fun with this os come 2 myt ftp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 HAX)R YoUUUUUUU .. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1~ DONT RIPE ME OFF b3cause you r lamre!!!!!!!!!111 4 WhILE BAXOR, I STUMBLED UPONA FUN SITE!!!!!!!111~~~~~~ DONT RiPE ME OFF!!!!!!111 1 preAsent to ,u /THE DIALECTZIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 iT allows u t0 input text or alink, an dit'll transl8 i tto funt hnigs!!!!!!!!~~~~~~~

nwo, i praesent to ypou :

thiS Post in redneX0r:

ah reckon ah need t'blow off some steam, so I've decided t'have some fun wif this. So... a spell back, ah stumbled upon a fun site. ah present t'yo', "Th' Dialeckizer! Fry mah hide!" It allers yo' t'input text o' a link, an' it'll translate it t'fun thin's.
Anyway, this site might give some ideas as to how to do accents, but I don't think you're going to want to do your writing for you. :lol:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Dialect/Accent fun!

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

This looks as though it could be fun! If I think of all the possibilities for introducing non-standard English speakers in VNs, I think we're up to something good here!
Cockney wrote: This 'ave a looks as fough it could be fun! Right! If I fink of all the bloody possibilities for introducin' non-standard English speakers in VNs, right, I fink we're up ter sumfink good 'ere!
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

yukipon
Regular
Organization: SJP

#3 Post by yukipon »

"How do you know my name? Damn, this can only mean one of two things: Either we have met, and you are telling the truth, and I just can't remember it, or you are a spy." ~Setou Kenji (Katawa Shoujo)
Status: Thinking. Planning. And playing Phantasy Star Online 2 JP.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#4 Post by Sapphi »

Asset Creashun: Writin'
LOL!!

This should open up new and exciting possibilities for bonus content in visual novels. You beat the game? Good for you! You've just unlocked the hidden Everybody Speaks With a Cockney Accent switch!
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by CheeryMoya »

You found something nice here, panda. It goes and replaces words with the slang of the dialect you choose, inserts stuff, changes grammar as needed... I can't imagine how long it took to compile everything. While I don't think anyone should write their scripts and rely on this to translate all of it for them, this is a nice reference.
Redneck wrote:Yo' foun' sumpin nice hyar, pan'a. It goes an' replaces wo'ds wif th' slang of th' dialeck yo' choose, inserts stuff, changes grammar as needed, cuss it all t' tarnation... ah cain't imagine how long it took t'compile ev'rythin'. While ah doesn't reckon ennyone sh'd write their scripps an' rely on this hyar to translate all of it fo' them, this hyar is a nice reference.
Jive wrote:You's found sump'n supa fine here, panda. WORD! It goes and replaces wo'ds wid de slang uh de dialect ya' choose, inserts stuff, changes grammar as needed... ah' can't imagine how long it took t'compile everydin'. While ah' duzn't dink any sucka should scribble deir scripts and rely on dis t'translate all uh it fo' dem, dis be a supa fine reference.
Cockney wrote:Yer found sumfink nice 'ere, panda. It goes and replaces words wiv the bleedin' slang of the dialect yer choose, right, inserts stuff, changes grammar as needed... I can't imagine 'ow long it took ter compile evryfink. Wile I don't fink any fairy should write their scripts and rely on this ter translate all of it for them, this is a nice reference.
Elmer Fudd wrote:You found something nice hewe, panda. It goes and wepwaces wowds wif the swang of the diawect you choose, insewts stuff, changes gwammaw as needed... I can't imagine how wong it took to compiwe evewything. Whiwe I don't think anyone shouwd wwite theiw scwipts and wewy on this to twanswate aww of it fow them, this is a nice wefewence.
Swedish Chef wrote:Yuoo fuoond sumetheeng neece-a here-a, punda. It gues und repleces vurds veet zee slung ooff zee deeelect yuoo chuuse-a, inserts stooffff, chunges gremmer es needed. Bork bork bork!.. I cun't imegeene-a hoo lung it tuuk tu cumpeele-a iferytheeng. Vheele-a I dun't theenk unyune-a shuoold vreete-a zeeur screepts und rely oon thees tu trunslete-a ell ooff it fur zeem, thees is a neece-a refference-a.
Moron wrote:You found somedigg nice hehe, uh uh uh, panda. Um uh.It goes 'n replaces words wid the, ERRRR, slang of the, uhhh, dialeck you choose, uh uh uh, insehts stuff, uh uh uh uh uh, changes grammar as needed... I can't imagine duh, how long it took t' c'pile ebehydigg. While I don't dink anyone shudd write deir scripps 'n re on dis t' translate all of it f' dem, dis is a nice refehess.
Pig Latin wrote:Youay oundfay omethingsay icenay erehay, andapay. Ityay oesgay andyay eplacesray ordsway ithway ethay angslay ofyay ethay ialectday youay oosechay, insertsyay uffstay, angeschay ammargray asyay eedednay... Iyay an'tcay imagineyay owhay onglay ityay ooktay otay ompilecay everythingyay. Ilewhay Iyay on'tday inkthay anyoneyay ouldshay itewray eirthay iptsscray andyay elyray onyay isthay otay anslatetray allyay ofyay ityay orfay emthay, isthay isyay ayay icenay eferenceray.
Hacker wrote:you found something mice h3ree, panda~~ it g0ez and rplaces wrodZ with teh slang 0f teh sia7ect u choos3, insrys stuff, changez garmmar as neeedd !!!!!!!!~ ollololollolo!!!!!!!!11~~~ ahkc thE plann3t~~~~ I CA|\|'T MIAIGNE HOWLONG IT TOOK,TO COMPILE EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!11~~~~~~ olololololololoool!!!!!111~~~~~~ while i di|\|t thnik anyone shoud write t3h1r scripts and rely on this to tranSlate all fo it fro them, thhis os a nice R3fzarence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
... I'm pretty sure the translator takes the extremes of whatever dialect you choose, which is why I recommend that you study the patterns and use it sparingly to achieve your dialect but not go overboard.

Tsuroika
Regular
Projects: Where tIme Die\s\

#6 Post by Tsuroika »

Now we just need someone to record themselves speaking in these accents...
DA
Remember these feelings.
Warmth, not of the sun here, but of the one long forgotten~

BairaagiVN
Projects: In Progress: Lunatic Summer

#7 Post by BairaagiVN »

CheeryMoya wrote:You found something nice here, panda. It goes and replaces words with the slang of the dialect you choose, inserts stuff, changes grammar as needed... I can't imagine how long it took to compile everything. While I don't think anyone should write their scripts and rely on this to translate all of it for them, this is a nice reference.

... I'm pretty sure the translator takes the extremes of whatever dialect you choose, which is why I recommend that you study the patterns and use it sparingly to achieve your dialect but not go overboard.
I'm definitely in agreement here. Keeping it subtle is sufficient enough to "show" the accent/dialect without making the reader labor over figuring out exactly what the character is saying. (Though I suppose making a character incomprehensible could be a running gag, e.g. Boomhauer from King of the Hill.)
http://oxjawstudios.blogspot.com/p/the-basics.html -- A former hikikomori with a black belt gets a back-stage pass to see a disparate group of fanciful, terrifying, and mundane beings enter his world. Lunatic Summer, currently in progress.

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#8 Post by Desu_Cake »

On the other hand, having a character who speaks entirely in pig latin would be hilarious.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#9 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Pig Latin is all Greek to me...

Seriously though, I have to have it written down with a pen, and rewrite it rearranged to understand it. When it's spoken, I'm hopeless. When it's written, it takes me a few minutes to figure out. Ahhhhhh...
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#10 Post by kaleidofish »

Desu_Cake wrote:On the other hand, having a character who speaks entirely in pig latin would be hilarious.
That's how the Harvest Sprites in Harvest Moon 64 spoke before they remembered English. It was cute.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

wordlesswriter
Regular
Projects: ~La Dame de la Mer~

#11 Post by wordlesswriter »

I- I feel like that would get very confusing for ESL users. X__X
It's fun though! And it would be neat to have it implemented as an unlockable.

Oh, haha, the Censor dialect takes out obscene words and replaces it with PG-13 words in brackets.