Scattered Lives

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
erinism
Regular

Scattered Lives

#1 Post by erinism »

UPDATED; 20/5/2013

OKAY.

The post is down; you all know what's coming...

I haven't been active in the forums lately and the main reason that I would give is; mourning. Mourning the loss of this project.

Let me explain, I never gave up on this project and have been slowly chipping away at it since I started, but, recently I backed up my Laptop to give it away and buy a new one, and saved my entire hard drive on an external, including the ONE working copy of this game and almost all of it's resources... You can guess the rest, I bet... I've been to a computer shop and they can't get anything back (I really fried this hard drive...) which forced me to make a tough decision.

Should I start again?

I still have all of my notebooks and the ability to get the character sprites and artwork back, BUT, the problem is; I don't think that's what I want to do.

I don't want to talk about fate or anything because I don't really believe in all of that but for a while before I lost everything, working on this project had begun to become a grind - my purpose in all of this was to have fun and when it stops being fun and becomes work; the project suffers. It loses a little of it's heart.

More importantly though; I had begun to lose confidence in the work. I couldn't think of anything that would make my game 'special' compared to the crazy talent you can find here; I've had a few ideas bouncing around in my head and I fully intend to use this opportunity(?) to kick it up a notch and explore these concepts in a new project.

SO; I think that restarting this project now is the worst thing I can do; maybe one day this project will see the light of day and I sincerely hope that happens. I'm sure you all know the feeling of becoming attached to the characters you write and I hope one day to share the stories of these girls with you.

But for now, thank you all for your time, support and feedback and I'll be back on the boards soon with something new.

"What will be lost, will be lost regardless.
I may as well be heartless,
and speed up the inevitable outcome."

Those words just became so ironic, it's almost worth the loss of this project...

Almost.

- E
Last edited by erinism on Mon May 20, 2013 12:02 am, edited 7 times in total.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

Re: Scattered Lives

#2 Post by chocojax »

Good luck working and finishing it by yourself!

(And why hide their personalities? :c)

The style reminds me of that one Touhou fighting game. :v Very cute. Judging just by their looks, I like the black-haired girl and the blonde one.

I kinda don't like the paper texture you put on the menu backgrounds, but they do look really cool with the watercolor/writing on it.

Wondering, are you going to edit the GUI more, or keep it this way?

erinism
Regular

#3 Post by erinism »

chocojax wrote:Good luck working and finishing it by yourself!

(And why hide their personalities? :c)

The style reminds me of that one Touhou fighting game. :v Very cute. Judging just by their looks, I like the black-haired girl and the blonde one.

I kinda don't like the paper texture you put on the menu backgrounds, but they do look really cool with the watercolor/writing on it.

Wondering, are you going to edit the GUI more, or keep it this way?
Umm, because I think discovering their personalities is half the fun!

This is a very, very, very early image so I wouldn't be surprised if I edited the GUI more down the track... When I get more comfortable with the look I want.

I wonder, is it because the paper looks weird with the digital menus...? Because I had a feeling that the styles might not 'mesh', I guess...

Thank you for the feed back!

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by chocojax »

I wonder, is it because the paper looks weird with the digital menus...? Because I had a feeling that the styles might not 'mesh', I guess...
Umm, I don't really think it's that. I think it's because the texture is a little bit too dark. x: Maybe you should turn the opacity down?

You're welcome. c:

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#5 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Gah! It's wonderful to see that someone's working on something like this. The girls are incredibly cute. That... that ribbon...
I'll be excited to see the results of this :mrgreen:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

DeeKay
Veteran

#6 Post by DeeKay »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:Gah! It's wonderful to see that someone's working on something like this. The girls are incredibly cute. That... that ribbon...
You can say that again.
Those green eyes... they're acting like a key to my heart, that's plain criminal ! ^^'
Ack, I'm starting to be random so I'll stop here xD
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

erinism
Regular

#7 Post by erinism »

chocojax wrote:
Umm, I don't really think it's that. I think it's because the texture is a little bit too dark. x: Maybe you should turn the opacity down?

You're welcome. c:
I will do that; Thank you again for the feed-back!

erinism
Regular

#8 Post by erinism »

DeeKay wrote:
redeyesblackpanda wrote:Gah! It's wonderful to see that someone's working on something like this. The girls are incredibly cute. That... that ribbon...
You can say that again.
Those green eyes... they're acting like a key to my heart, that's plain criminal ! ^^'
Ack, I'm starting to be random so I'll stop here xD
Haa haa, I think I'm beginning to notice a pattern emerging.

Thank you both for the feed back! <3

TruffleProductions
Projects: The Academy of Freaks

#9 Post by TruffleProductions »

Very nice, I like how your background and how the girls turned out.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by gekiganwing »

erinism wrote:...it's about a class of girls who aren't very happy for various reasons and the player gets plonked in the middle of it all.
Maybe it's too early to talk about your characters, their relationships, and their conflicts. But in the near future, I'd like to know who these people are, and what might happen to them. I'm curious if this story is about love, friendship, friendship, plot, or something else.

Also, you didn't tell us about your main character. Are you willing to tell us about the person's sex and sexuality? Is the individual the same age as the girls, younger, or older?

On your blog, you wrote, "...that's what being a high schooler was about, you knew that things wouldn't stay the same whether you wanted change or not. And if you did want to move forward you didn't know what was waiting for you. It was the first time in your life when you realized that every thing was fleeting; feelings, thoughts and friends." Makes sense. Though if you ask me, I thought that time started passing more quickly after a year or two of college.

erinism
Regular

#11 Post by erinism »

gekiganwing wrote:
erinism wrote:...it's about a class of girls who aren't very happy for various reasons and the player gets plonked in the middle of it all.
Maybe it's too early to talk about your characters, their relationships, and their conflicts. But in the near future, I'd like to know who these people are, and what might happen to them. I'm curious if this story is about love, friendship, friendship, plot, or something else.

Also, you didn't tell us about your main character. Are you willing to tell us about the person's sex and sexuality? Is the individual the same age as the girls, younger, or older?

On your blog, you wrote, "...that's what being a high schooler was about, you knew that things wouldn't stay the same whether you wanted change or not. And if you did want to move forward you didn't know what was waiting for you. It was the first time in your life when you realized that every thing was fleeting; feelings, thoughts and friends." Makes sense. Though if you ask me, I thought that time started passing more quickly after a year or two of college.
Firstly, thank you for checking out my blog.

I get what you're saying about High School/College. But by the time you start to graduate college you are a little more mature and able to deal with the world and what it will expect of you. Chances are that you'd worked and lived alone (or away from care givers) by that stage and where a little more independent... Most people when they graduate are just children still in their own minds.

I've received a lot of similar feedback and I think I'm going to have to update the post and talk about the setting and the plot. This is my first vn announcement post and I guess in my mind I figured that nobody would want to read a big honking chunk of text and that less was more. I'm happy to have found out I was wrong.

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#12 Post by Desu_Cake »

You know, the character generator has got an option to save transparent pngs. That said, the girls do look cute. My guess as to personalities would be (from left to right) Childish, Emotionless, Smart+Crafty, Tomboy, Shy, Sly? I like the second from the left and second from the right especially.

erinism
Regular

#13 Post by erinism »

Desu_Cake wrote:You know, the character generator has got an option to save transparent pngs. That said, the girls do look cute. My guess as to personalities would be (from left to right) Childish, Emotionless, Smart+Crafty, Tomboy, Shy, Sly? I like the second from the left and second from the right especially.
Haa haa, You got it absolutely right. A little genre savvy goes a long way.
Thanks for the character generator tip; will have to work that out.
Yeah, I have a feeling that those two will be the favourites... I have written bios now so you can read about them and see their names at last.
Thanks for the feedback

MioSegami
Regular
Projects: PATUKA PRIVATE PARADISE
Organization: BlueAngelService

#14 Post by MioSegami »

Ah sounds fun! Can't wait for the release :D
CLICK IT------------->viewtopic.php?f=43&t=40639&p=430149#p430149
Projects: PATUKA PRIVATE ISLAND
Story: 15% complete
Script: 0%
Art: 35%
Outline: 15%
Code: 10%

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by chocojax »

Hey, just got led back here by your signature, loool. Glad to see that you're still working on this. :>

The 3D chara. gen looks very nice and appealing to the eyes.
Something I would suggest though, if you haven't thought of it yet, is having animated sprites. I generally expect a 3D model to move, and seeing one that's a static image is a little bit strange. Something like Phoenix Wright would be very cool. Just a suggestion, though!! :P