Riley and the Missing China. [KN] [Mystery] [Comedy]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
DaR
Regular

Riley and the Missing China. [KN] [Mystery] [Comedy]

#1 Post by DaR »

The world of Riley Smith is a very different one from the one most people know. Like a small percentage of people on the Earth, he is psychic and everything seems to go wrong when he gets involved. A soon-to-be junior in high school, he spends him time playing video games, hanging out with his best friend, and reading Sherlock Holmes mysteries.

The beginning of summer heralds a few things: freedom from chemistry labs, some new neighbors, and an interesting new criminal. At first, the crimes seemed like petty thefts of cheap china. But when a connection is found and a disturbing pattern is discovered, tracing back all over the country, Riley is called to examine the evidence to stop the criminal in his tracks before the trend can continue.
CHARACTERS
Riley Smith.
Traits: Proud, determined, over-dramatic.
Likes: Video games, mysteries, cloud-gazing, solving cases from the comfort of his own home.
Dislikes: Chemistry, cliches, sweet potatoes, being forced into going in the field.
Quote: "Why is it always summertime when people go crazy?"

Jess Johnson.
Traits: Friendly, outgoing, open.
Likes: Parties, meeting new people, learning random facts.
Dislikes: Discrimination, her step-mother, being ignored, rats and spiders.
Quote: "Step away from the keyboard, we're going to go have fun."

Elinor Ryerson.
Traits: Bubbly, protective, emotional, painfully honest.
Dislikes: Violence, liars, judgement, thunderstorms.
Quote: "Be honest. How often does the butler do it?"

Alastair Ryerson.
Traits: Good-humored, teasing, arrogant, uppity.
Dislikes: Assumptions, gossip, perfumes and strong scents.
Quote: "I may not be a blatant purse-toting stereotype, but I don't think it's that much of a secret."

Those are the mains, sketches of the mains and a list of secondaries should be up in a few days. I'd love to hear feedback on the characters or the story, or both.
I support Mr. Darcy~ <3

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

Re: Riley and the Missing China. [KN] [Mystery] [Comedy]

#2 Post by Sapphi »

I'd like to know the specifics of the connection and the disturbing pattern. It's kind of hard to think about the story when I don't know what those are, lol.

I'm also wondering more about Riley's abilities and how they are received by society at large. When you say he gets called to solve this case, do you mean by the FBI or other government agency?
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Veniae
Veteran

Re: Riley and the Missing China. [KN] [Mystery] [Comedy]

#3 Post by Veniae »

Okay, I don't check the Idea subforum often, but I'm glad I did today! The premise sounds cute and I really like the characters! I can't wait to learn more and see what they look like. Your writing (at least the OP) is nice and enjoyable. I can't wait for more!

Good luck and I hope to see more soon~ <3