Visual Novel in the making...(Ren'Py)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
DangoRiceBalls
Regular
Completed: Take a Breath, Kami Cho, and that's it :P
Projects: Kuroi Tsubasa
Organization: Dango Productions

Visual Novel in the making...(Ren'Py)

#1 Post by DangoRiceBalls »

mk for those who've made a VN before...Is Ren'Py better or Novelty? Just asking...cuz I just wanna know?
~fufufufufufu
And if you have any tips please tell me...or if you wanna collaborate with my VN...[x
Well thankss! :3
Last edited by DangoRiceBalls on Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Selling chewy, tasty, mochi for 1 penny each!

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Visual Novel in the making...(Ren'Py)

#2 Post by fleet »

You probably posted in the wrong sub forum (Creator Discussion would probably be better), but that's a decision for a moderator, and I am not a moderator.
Novelty does not require any coding skills (there is a script language available). More VN creators at this forum use Ren'py, which can produce visual novels in MAC, Linux, and Windows, while Novelty can produce content only in Windows.
I've read that Novelty is more limited than Ren'py in what it can do. I use Novelty for my VNs, so I can't comment on strengths or weaknesses of Ren'py.

Both are free. Each program has forums where you can get help. Look at both, read comments and recommendations, then decide.
I hope you have fun making your Visual Novel.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3 Post by MaiMai »

You'll get more feedback support from using Ren'Py on this forum if you run into any problems, more than you would Novelty since I don't think that's been updated since... ever.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

DangoRiceBalls
Regular

#4 Post by DangoRiceBalls »

:O Ok. Got it
Last edited by DangoRiceBalls on Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

Just my two cents...

"Better" isn't really a term that can be applied to two programs as different as Ren'Py and Novelty. While both are visual novel engines, they provide very different approaches to making games.

I try to optimize Ren'Py for the needs of the makers of medium-to-large games - so Ren'Py includes a lot of abstraction that makes it somewhat harder to learn than it possibly could be. Writing a textual script is very quick, but the precision of a programming language might be something people have a hard time adjusting to. And so on.

So the question isn't really "Is Ren'Py best", but "Is Ren'Py right for me?"
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DangoRiceBalls
Regular

#6 Post by DangoRiceBalls »

ahah, i see. I do think that after checking out Ren'Py...it is better...but in just my opinion i understand how it works(: Thanks!

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#7 Post by OokamiKasumi »

DangoRiceBalls wrote:ahah, i see. I do think that after checking out Ren'Py...it is better...but in just my opinion i understand how it works(: Thanks!
I've actually played with both Renpy and Novelty, and well... Once you get the hang of it, Renpy just plain does more right out of the box. And

Not only can you package it for Windows plus Linus & Mac, the base template comes with the Save, Load, and configuration preferences already built in. You can use a much wider range of graphics, and you don't have to Hope you have them saved in the right library for the program to access them. It's all wide open for you to see -- and organize as you like.

Sure, you have do to bit of coding, but it's more user-friendly than you think! Most of the code in the pre-packaged template is annotated and labeled. Then there's the highly responsive support group here. Namely, the "Renpy Questions and Announcements" part of the forum. I've had problems (and coding mysteries) solved in a matter of minutes.
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar