RPG Battle Engine - Alpha 7.5, downloads in first post

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Jake
Support Hero

Re: RPG Battle Engine - Alpha 7.5, downloads in first post

#196 Post by Jake »

Dragonstar89 wrote: Anyways; I'm on my laptop using my Android tethered USB to give me broadband internet on my 3G network, and it works fine. I've downloaded many files, including .zip's so far. So, why is the .zip for the battle system not working? Is there a place where I can just download the scripts, put them in a folder, then add it to Renpy?
Most likely something failed (your connection, your ISP, etc.) before the download was finished, but something in between your computer and the Internet didn't do its job properly and the download somehow got marked as completed rather than just discarded because it wasn't finished. Now your browser or your ISP has the bad download cached, so when you try and re-download it just passes you the cached version without even trying the download again.

Try this link:

a7.5 Zip

It's the same file, but with a query parameter which should bypass any caches in between your browser and the Internet so it attempts to re-download the file.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Dragonstar89
Regular
Projects: TBA
Organization: Self
IRC Nick: dstar89
Deviantart: senpai-jake

#197 Post by Dragonstar89 »

Hm, alright. So I downloaded that file once, and got the same result. So then, I cleared my entire week's browser Cache, and download history and tried the download again, and I still receive the error. It's definitely a problem on my side, that is for sure. I just can't find out exactly what, because earlier I downloaded a .zip of codes and such from another website. Maybe it's where you have the file stored, my system is having trouble completely receiving it. Is there another source you have where I could try and download it?
Beginning pre-production work on a project in Renpy. After being away for 5 years, it's time to get back in the game 8)

Jake
Support Hero

#198 Post by Jake »

Dragonstar89 wrote:I just can't find out exactly what, because earlier I downloaded a .zip of codes and such from another website.
It's almost certainly something your ISP is doing. Most ISPs implement a layer of caching between their customer and the Internet so that where possible, they don't have to go out onto the public Internet to get files - because that can cost them money!

The file is hosted in a datacentre in Massachusetts, which I've personally never known of any problems with. But having a different URL completely to download from will almost certainly avoid any caching issues you had with that file, so try this Dropbox link instead:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/134 ... e-a7.5.zip

Dragonstar89
Regular
Projects: TBA
Organization: Self
IRC Nick: dstar89
Deviantart: senpai-jake

#199 Post by Dragonstar89 »

Yep, it worked this time :) Thanks! :D
Beginning pre-production work on a project in Renpy. After being away for 5 years, it's time to get back in the game 8)

DesertFox
Regular
Completed: Over The Hills And Far Away
Projects: My Little Dictator
Organization: WarGirl Games

---

#200 Post by DesertFox »

---
Last edited by DesertFox on Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
Support Hero

#201 Post by Jake »

DesertFox wrote: For instance, if your enemy is on the right and you're moving towards them, both moving up and down provides a directional sprite facing right. But if your enemy is behind you on the left, and you start moving towards them, up and down provides a sprite facing left. And so on...
Not simply by using the sprite states, I'm afraid - you'd have to modify the move skill (MoveSkill class in engine-skills.rpy - make a copy into your own code and call it something different for easy updates later) to only set the facing to be different if it's the left or the right facing (or E or W, or whatever).

DesertFox
Regular

#202 Post by DesertFox »

---
Last edited by DesertFox on Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
Support Hero

#203 Post by Jake »

DesertFox wrote:When exiting the game by clicking on the X button during a battle, I receive the following error.
Have you, by any chance, modified any of the files listed in that error? Because that's a pretty impossible stack trace in the code I have here!

I can't reproduce it with the files I have here. It looks from the end of the traceback that it's occurring in the ui.interact() call in PickSkill (which would imply that Ren'Py was waiting for you to click a button in the top-level skill menu, e.g. Attack/Move/Skip), but closing the Ren'Py window while that menu is showing doesn't cause a problem for me.

Does this happen every time you quit Ren'Py regardless of where in a battle you are (e.g., when you're selecting fighters, when someone's in the middle of moving, when the enemy is attacking, etc.)? Does it happen before or after the "are you sure Y/N" prompt? Does it happen if you quit Ren'Py after the battle is finished? Does it happen if you quit Ren'Py before the battle starts?

DesertFox
Regular

#204 Post by DesertFox »

---

Jake
Support Hero

#205 Post by Jake »

DesertFox wrote:It tends to happen when I've just made a move and the second selection screen comes up to either attack or cancel.
That still doesn't break for me.

What have you modified in the files which are listed in the error?
Does this happen every time?
Does it happen before or after the "are you sure Y/N" prompt?
Does it happen if you quit Ren'Py after the battle is finished?
Does it happen if you quit Ren'Py before the battle starts?

DesertFox
Regular

#206 Post by DesertFox »

---

Jake
Support Hero

#207 Post by Jake »

DesertFox wrote:
Jake wrote:Does this happen every time?
Every time at that point for the first BattleSprite. However, the coding for that sprite is no different from any of the others.
Does this mean that after the first fighter's turn is over it doesn't happen if you quit part-way through a different fighter's turn?

There's nothing I see in the code you posted which is substantially different from any other battle code which works fine - but that's also not the whole file, since the error mentions a line 208 and you quoted fewer than a hundred lines of code there!

Odds are that there's something else somewhere else in your project which is interfering with the Ren'Py ui.interact() somehow. Do you have any long-standing screens running or anything like that? I would try turning off/commenting out any customisations, screens etc. that you have outside of the battle, then try it again, see if it still breaks. If it does, try jumping straight to the battle after the start: label as well, and try again. If you get to a point where the error doesn't occur, then re-introduce all the parts you'd skipped/commented-out one by one until you find the one that breaks it, and armed with that knowledge it's more likely that we can find a solution.

DesertFox
Regular

#208 Post by DesertFox »

---

DesertFox
Regular

#209 Post by DesertFox »

---
Last edited by DesertFox on Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
Support Hero

#210 Post by Jake »

DesertFox wrote: Now another question - how do you remove the current facing position of the sprite from the GridStatsWindow?
Right now, your best bet is to make a copy of the GridStatsWindow class in another file, rename it and make the following changes:

1) Change:

Code: Select all

x = 2 # One for the fighter's name, one for the facing
to:

x = 1 # For the fighter's name
2 ) Remove this whole line:

items.append(Text(fighter.Facing.Name, xalign=0.5))

In the next release, customising the stats grid should be a lot easier, there's a single more-flexible class which can be customised more or less how you wish.

(The problem the next release has been having is that the more I work in the scripting, the more opportunity to make things more generically useful I see, so the more work I make for myself. Well, that and a couple of other projects with more firm deadlines.)