Ren'Py 5.6.7 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ren'Py 5.6.7 Released

#1 Post by PyTom » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:16 pm

After the completion of a development effort taking place on two continents (and high above the Atlantic), I'm pleased to announce the release of Ren'Py 5.6.7 "Make a Statement". This release marks the first major change in the language for a while, as it adds in several new statements supporting sound, music, voice, and NVL-mode. The upgraded launcher in this release now supports changing the color scheme of games. This release also includes a new quickstart manual, a tutorial in the demo to accompany it, the complete (if short) game "The Question". This release also integrates a number of bug fixes.

Downloads and a full release announcement can be found at:

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/releases/5.6.7

I'd like to thank everyone on the forum who contributed to this release, and it was a lot of people this time around. Your contributions of art, music, story, and color schemes really helped improve this release.
Last edited by PyTom on Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
"Silly and fun things are important." - Elon Musk
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mokenju1
Regular

#2 Post by mokenju1 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:43 pm

I have problems with the new version, but only with the script of Host Love. The script of my new game works perfectly with the 5.6.7. version, but the old runs the game but doesn't show me the launcher when I double click in the ren'py icon. Maybe it's a problem with the name of the file :?:.

And a little issue about the new script is that it had a little problem with an incorrect statement ( A menu that had no options) and the new version of ren'py didn't show me the problem. It only didn't run the game and added to the carpet a traceback file "error: couldn't create a window". I ran the game with the 5.6.6 version and it showed me a traceback with the problem. When I solved it ( and it was not related to the line that the traceback of the 5.6.7 was showing me) I tried to run the game in the new version and the launcher ran normally.

Raikiri
Regular

#3 Post by Raikiri » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:19 pm

Some quick impressions:

- The color theme selector is quite neat. It will certainly make it easier for new users to add a little lavor to their games, without having to edit options.rpy manually.

(The thought just hit me that it'd be nice to be able to create new color schemes this way, too - I'm thinking about being able to pick colors using an interface similar to the ones found in, say, Paint and other image editors, and assign those colors to the different elements of a theme. Something for a future release, perhaps?)

- The inclusion of "Question", the Quickstart and the reference manual was a welcome addition, too.

- Plus points for making the NVL functions quicker/easier to use - it was awfully well timed, too, since I decided that my main project would be an NVL style game just earlier today.

- I suppose the same could be said about the music statements, though I probably won't be using those myself, at least not for a while. To be honest, the new syntax kinda scares me. ^_^;;

- My opinions are more negative regarding the new part of the demo. It is a good thought, to be sure, but I feel that it wasn't handled too well. In fact, with the inclusion of "Question", it's source code, and the Quickstart in the installation (or whatever term I'm supposed to use), I personally feel that it's a rather unnecessary addition. I'd like to hear a newbie's (or rather, a newbie who is more new than me) opinion on it, though.

(As a side note, Firefox couldn't launch the quickstart from the demo because the protocol c: wasn't associated with a program... I don't know if it works with IE)

All in all, I think this was a good (pre)release. Thanks for the hard work.
Last edited by Raikiri on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucifer status:
It Will Be Done When It's Done™

Laveil Kurtis
Regular

#4 Post by Laveil Kurtis » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:37 pm

First impressions:

- The theme selector is cool, but it needs some kind of order, like from brighter tones to darker tones. Or maybe order it by colour. When I was navigating through the themes, it kinda hurt my eyes, specially switching from Colorblind to Cotton Candy, which is a BIG contrast. But in any case, it's a great addition.

- About the new part of the demo, I feel that is a bit "out of place". I mean, there's no need to add part of the script on the demo considering that you put the same info on the Quickstart Manual, and The Question as an individual project. Oh, and as Raikiri says, the Quickstart does not lauch from the demo.

- I haven't tried anything with the new statements ^^U

Great job =D! I'll try migrating my "wannabe project" to the prerelease to see if there is any error.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:56 pm

Re: Ordering the themes.

Technically, they are ordered... just in alphabetical order. I would be willing to accept proposals for alternate orders, but I don't know a good way of mechanically ordering themes, so someone would have to step up there.

Re: The new part of the demo.

Interesting comments. I'm not sure what to do yet... I'd appreciate more people's opinions.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:30 am

The Question demonstration was a bit forceful in its integration with the demo, but I'm not really a newbie (I'm an amateur lol) so I don't know how that would put too much information in front of people. But its good to keep its option as a sample finished game to learn from, just like the dse.

Laveil Kurtis
Regular

#7 Post by Laveil Kurtis » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:31 pm

Re: Ordering the themes.

Technically, they are ordered... just in alphabetical order. I would be willing to accept proposals for alternate orders, but I don't know a good way of mechanically ordering themes, so someone would have to step up there.
Categories?

I didn't noticed that was ordered in alphabetical order. However, IMO it is better to re-order it into categories. Something like this:

- Color Based Themes: Basic Blue, Colorblind, Favourite Jeans, Fine China, Ice Queen, Mocha Latte, Really Red, Winter Mint.

- Obscure Themes: Bloody Mary, Dramatic Flesh, Muted Horror, Swamp Critter, Urban Sprawl.

These two categories are definitive. But after, you can choose

- Seasonal Themes: First Valentines, Summer Sky.

- Misc. Themes: Cotton Candy, Creamsickle, Easter Baby, Old Polaroid, Victorian Gingerbread, Watermelon Pie, White Chocolate.

Or

- Food Themes: Cotton Candy, Creamsickle, Victorian Gingerbread, Watermelon Pie, White Chocolate.

- Misc. Themes: Easter Baby, First Valentines, Old Polaroid, Summer Sky.

And that's my suggestion.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#8 Post by PyTom » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:01 pm

I appreciate your organizing the themes, but I'm not sure it's really an improvement. For example, I'm not sure why Mocha Latte is color-based rather than food based.

The advantage of the alphabetical order is that it's unambiguous, and I don't have to think much to maintain it. I might be able to make something hue-based work, but I'm not sure it would be any easier to use/browse through.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#9 Post by PyTom » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:09 pm

Okay, I just uploaded a new version of 5.6.7, removing the tutorial from the demo, basically putting us back to the demo we had in 5.6.6.

I also added some new features:

config.character_callback lets you specify a character callback for all characters that don't have a more specific one specified. This is useful if you want to, say, display something when at least one character is on the screen.

I also added config.default_fullscreen and config.default_text_cps, basically integrating the cookbook recipes people have been using into standard Ren'Py.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:17 pm

I also added config.default_fullscreen and config.default_text_cps, basically integrating the cookbook recipes people have been using into standard Ren'Py.
A good thing ^^. With so many people using these, it's nice that it becomes easier to implement.
As a side note : what should happen to the corresponding recipes? My opinion is that we should keep them for reference (they touch other things like persistent variables) but it should be clearly indicated that there is a quicker solution now.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#11 Post by PyTom » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:27 pm

Yeah, that was my plan, once 5.6.7 is for-real released.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#12 Post by PyTom » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:31 am

And, 5.6.7 is for-real released, with one more bug fix and some size reductions. Hooray.

mokenju1
Regular

#13 Post by mokenju1 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:07 am

Congratulations Pytom!. I'm going to download the "real" version at once 8) .

Laveil Kurtis
Regular

#14 Post by Laveil Kurtis » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:24 am

PyTom wrote:I appreciate your organizing the themes, but I'm not sure it's really an improvement. For example, I'm not sure why Mocha Latte is color-based rather than food based.
That was a mistake. Is because I was thinking more about a Seasonal group rather than the food group, so I forgot to put Mocha Latte in food.
The advantage of the alphabetical order is that it's unambiguous, and I don't have to think much to maintain it. I might be able to make something hue-based work, but I'm not sure it would be any easier to use/browse through.
You got a point there. Now that you mention it, it's not about people is constantly switching the themes, but it's true that there are people like me who are very hesitant in which theme to use. And of course, there are themes which don't want to use.

In any case, the order is not important about making the game.
And, 5.6.7 is for-real released, with one more bug fix and some size reductions. Hooray.
Congratulations for the release =D!

Fawkes - Feathered Melody
Regular

#15 Post by Fawkes - Feathered Melody » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:50 pm

I can't seem to get the color themes to save. I click on a theme and it bounces me back to the previous menu with no changes. Not sure what to do to get the things to stay so any help would be appreciated.

If it helps I updated by dragging my "Crows Project" folder over into the Ren'py folder.
Writer / Programmer
Crows Project: Released 12/15/07
Noctua: In Development. Demo 3 released.
Project Silk Road: Planning/Story Construction
"Live while awake. Live while dreaming."
We have a [new] website again!