In Search of Dustin

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Kurb

Hmmm.

#16 Post by Kurb »

This is causing more trouble than I anticipated.

Now the texts run without stopping. Not even adding {w} seems to stop the text. I want the text to stop each time I start a new dialogue, as well as pauses between the dialogue.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#17 Post by DaFool »

works on my end:

Code: Select all

label start: 

scene bg morning room 
    Y "You wake up to the sound of your alarm." 

N "..." 

Y "You wake up {w}to the sound of your alarm." 

N "..." 

Y "You wake up to the sound of your alarm." 

N "..." 
Is the Auto-Forward Time still set to maximum? Try deleting the saves directory, that's where persistent is stored, then start fresh. (You can also delete the .rpyc files to be doubly sure of a fresh start.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#18 Post by PyTom »

With regard to the text being typed out, that's what we call the "Text Speed" or text_cps setting. This is configurable by the user on the preferences screen. Just lower down the "Text Speed" setting, and you'll see the text being typed out slowly.

The first time Ren'Py starts, it looks at the variable config.default_text_cps, which is defined in options.rpy, and uses that to set the default text speed. You can change that, but it won't take effect immediately, because the setting is stored the first time the game is run, as we repect the end-user's choice in this.

If you delete the <gamename>/game/saves/persistent file, the next time your game is run the default_text_cps setting will take effect.

Please note this is brand-new in 5.6.7, which is why I haven't gotten around to updating the cookbook yet.

If you want to see your changes immediately, hit shift+R. That will reload your game with the changes. You may then need to rollback a little (using mouse-wheel-up or PageUp), to see your changes take effect.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by DaFool »

*hits head on the wall

I was totally oblivious to that new options.rpy file.
It makes sense now.

See, that's why when I order an automobile, I like to start completely from scratch, then specify each item I want included...I don't like dealer-installed packages.

Kurb

#20 Post by Kurb »

Hmm. .rps stuff? Kind of technical for me. No programming background. But my typing seems to be working ok now and stopping ok now with DaFool's script.

The shift key thingy should be very useful. Thanks!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#21 Post by DaFool »

Not sure if you're aware already of Ren'Py's operating principles (it took me a while to sink in)

All files that end with .rpy are script files. You can have as many or as few as you want.

Ren'Py compiles the code the first time you run a game with updated scripts. It creates executable .rpyc files from their respective .rpy files. For example

script.rpy --> script.rpyc
options.rpy --> options.rpyc

The scripts are compiled simultaneously, meaning it doesn't matter where exactly you place your code. All that's really needed is the start label, then you can scatter other labeled sections however you like.