The Edge of Magic (Modern fantasy) [Demo]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
AsagiMete
Regular

The Edge of Magic (Modern fantasy) [Demo]

#1 Post by AsagiMete »

Hello, everyone! My name is Asagi, and this is my very first visual novel, The Edge of Magic!

Demo!

Plot:
The study of magic has always been a dangerous field where only the
bravest and most talented magi dwell. To help advance their understanding of the
source of magic, the League of Nations setup the Leore Research Institute of
Magical Development at the sacred Fount of Maxium. Lunin Hailstorm is a young
monk from the secular nation of Jhostim who was known for his sharp
understanding and affinity for fire magic. Now, Lunin goes to the Leore Insitute
as the first magi from Jhostim in seven decades. What awaits him will test his
resolve as finds himself rapidly spiraling into a world of love, politics, and
dangerous magics.

Setting: The world is (politically) modeled after a 1960s Western Europe. Magic was discovered around the time of the Industrial Revolution and has slowly been integrated into society. The world has been pitched through several wars recently between the nations of Mopil and Termillia, resulting in strenuous relations between many signatory members of the League of Nations. While the world now is at peace, it is only a matter of time before a spark will set the tinder ablaze once more. At the heart of the cold war is the small southern island that holds the world's premier institute of magical development.

Cast:
Every character has two poses and six outfits (1 lab, 3 casual, 1 formal, and 1 swimsuit)
Name: Lunin Hailstorm
Element: Fire
Bio: A young monk from the Holy City of Jhostim. As Jhostim is a recent
signatory to the League of Nations and previously isolated state, Lunin has a hard time trusting any other researcher. However, as a dedicated and professional researcher,
he attempts to make things work.

Romanciable characters:
Name: Lily Ruebellum
Element: Nature
Bio: Lily is a researcher who has spent most of her life in the frontier studying
new plants and animals. While socially awkward, she means well and tries her
best to help out her fellow researchers. However, her naivety often leaves her
prey to the researchers who want nothing more than her data to advance their own
nation's technology.

Name: Sophia
Element: Fire/Wind
Bio: Sophia is a street urchin that grew up on the streets of the town near the
research station. Sophia lost her eyesight as a young child and resorts to
using her weak wind magic to help her get around. Growing up completely
dependent on the mercy and often cruelty of others, Sophia keeps to herself.
When she is given an offer by Lunin to join him as an assistant,
she is leery and distrusting.

Name: Ellen Kinolio
Element: Darkness
Bio: The heiress of a massive trading company and the daughter of a ruler of a
city-state near the frontier. Ellen was a childhood friend of Lunin after she spent a
summer in Jhostim as part of an exchange program. Ellen is very outspoken and bull-headed,
often putting her at odds with anyone she meets. While bright and clever, Ellen works
solo because few people have the patience to put up with her abrasive nature and
high-tempo work schedule.

Name: Miyani Silversword
Element: Water
Bio: Miyani is a covert agent of the Mopil Republic, a small republic that has
recently suffered a war that almost completely destroyed the small nation.
Miyani was sent to Leore to acquire any magical data that might be able to help
them develop a weapon to protect their nation. Miyani was more than happy to do
so, ecstatic for the chance to use all her wiles and guile to cajole, seduce, or
simply steal anything that might protect her homeland.

Name: Katrina Onethon
Element: Wind
Bio: A very famous researcher known for her advancement in developing
electronics that could run off of electric magic. However, few know that she's
also an eccentric madwoman who develops devices that explode more often
than they work. Katrina is a very cheerful, very optimistic woman who often lets her
crazy idea slip into the work that she is contracted to do, oft with
catastrophic results.

Supporting cast:
Name: Professor Winter Ulric
Element: Light
Bio: A former researcher with the Termillia until she got tired of
constantly being question for her often-controversial attempts at using light
magic to alter both the human body and mind. Winter claims that nobody
understands what she could do. After the chancellor gave her the choice to either
join Leore as a tenured professor or go to prison for life, Winter grudgingly accepted the post.
However, Winter refuses to research anything that she doesn't want to and
flaunts it Leore's leadership, taunting them to try sending her back.

Name: Tomas Ithor
Element: Fire/Water/Wind/Darkness/Light
Bio: A former child prodigy who was once considered to be one of the sharpest minds of the magic world.
When an experiment went wrong and took the life of his wife, Tomas fell into despair and drink. Now, he
resides at Leore as one of the tenured researchers and adviser to the younger researchers. Sadly, Tomas doesn't
do a lot of research or advising anymore, spending most of his time in his office drinking and reflecting on his glory days.

Name: Dominique Rvana
Element: None
Bio: Meet Undersecretary of Magical Development and Understanding Dominique Rvana. He's a sweet,
but serious man who is put in charge of managing Leore. While he doesn't have any magical powers,
he's giving it his all to devulge the deepest mysteries of magic. Dominique might also be
the older brother of another Termillian researcher...

Name: Unknown
Element: Unknown
Bio: One of the many robed servants who work at Leore.

Name: Sgt. Jill Venequez
Element: None
Bio: Sgt. Venequez is with the League of Nations detachment sent to protect the labs from both internal and external threats.
Happily married with a young son, Jill is anxious to return home to her family soon.

Name: Asagi Mette
Element: Fire
Bio: The super cute writer!

Rated 14+

Progress
Script Draft - 25%
Plot Outline - 100%
Programming - 0% (Just the art gallery)
Sprite Art - 100% (All 12 are finished!)
Background art - 100%
CG Art - 0%
The Edge of Magic will be commercial at $10 USD.

Team
Writer: Myself, Komi
Backgrounds: falynevarger
Sprite Art: Shadilyn
CG: Shadilyn
Interface: Sundownkid
Music: Not sure yet...
Special thanks to Deji for the logo~! ^.^

That's it, I think. I hope for everyone's support in my endeavor!
Attachments
screenshotEoM.PNG
Last edited by AsagiMete on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 11 times in total.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: The Edge of Magic (Modern fantasy BxG)

#2 Post by papillon »

I like Miyani's design (what can I say, I always go for pale skin long dark hair). Can't say much more at this point as I generally stay away from WIPs due to low completion rate... What's the thrust of the plot about? Is this a "magic school dating" thing, or an epic battle against evil, or international intrigue? What sort of part does the PC play in events?

Minor caveat - "Esteflown" may make some people, like me, think too much of "Escaflowne"

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#3 Post by teacup »

Ooh, nice character designs! Everyone looks equally appealing but I really like Lily, she has a nice color scheme~
But like Papillon, I want to know more about the story...

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

I tend to like stories with BxG pairings. This one seems to have a large scope (what with a detailed world, and characters with histories). Are you willing to consider releasing your VN piece by piece? I say this because ambitious projects have a tendency to falter, or end up unfinished.

How much do you estimate that your story will focus on slice-of-life, and how much might be about a larger plot? It looks like you've thought quite a bit about your setting, and it sounds like some of your characters are willing to incite a political conflict.
AsagiMete wrote:Every character has two poses and six outfits (1 lab, 3 casual, 1 formal, and 1 swimsuit)
Tthis is your fictional world, so you don't have to refer to actual 1920s-1930s styles of swimwear. Who knows, maybe the bikini was invented twenty years early in your universe?
AsagiMete wrote:Planned release date is 04Mar13
Right now, I are thinking about a kickstarter to help fund CGs and keep it free. Otherwise, I am thinking it might end up being commercial.
As you may already know, it takes a lot of dedication, passion, and time to finish a freeware game. Life gets in the way (jobs, relationships, sickness, etc). So if you need money as a motivation to help in developing your VN, that's very understandable.

When you have made up your mind as to whether you will use Kickstarter / Indiegogo / something similar, or to sell your game, please let us know. If you haven't already used Kickstarter etc, then make sure to do your research and ask for advice. The same is true if you haven't already created and released an indie game.

AsagiMete
Regular

#5 Post by AsagiMete »

@everyone I don't like the term "slice of life". For me, it will always be tied to those high school romance games. To make this explanation easy to understand, I'll use the term. >0 The Edge of Magic is roughly 70% slice of life, 25% international intrigue, 5% epic battle against "evil". You spend a fair amount of time working with the various girls on their development projects, getting to know them and their odd life problems. Certain characters are going to be more slice of life than others. While Lily ends up being the primary spark that sets off a event that will change the world, almost all of her route is spent on discovery of herself and her magic. Winter and Miyani are on the other end, coping with the external pressures and movements against their fellow researchers. Lunin is the rogue piece in everything, since Jhostim isn't allied with anyone. His actions shift things around. It's more like the straw that breaks the camel's back, not the camel itself.
The epic battle against "evil" takes place when you finish all the magical projects/routes.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that while the focus is on the relations of the characters while they work on their magics, there is an overarching story driving everything.

@papillon Out of all the girls, Miyani's dress/formal is my favorite. I'm having fun with her storyline since she's both a tease and the cleverest girl in the cast.

*clutches a copy of Escaflowne*

@teacup Lily is one of my favorites, her other casual outfits are really cute. :0 I'm not really sure where the boundary of spoiler and useful information lies. What would you like to know about?

@gekiganwing My original plot outline was a lot more ambitious. The final version isn't quite so crazy. In "The Edge of Magic", the story will take place entirely on the Island of Leshore. All of the forces are playing against each other, but the players are the nations while the pieces are the researchers. A sequel, which I'm not even thinking of right now, would take place in the greater world, when a certain event has triggered the next world war. There's a lot I want to do with this world, but I'm keeping my focus solely on this one little island and the small group that operates on it, for now. I wasn't originally going to have all the girls as routes, but since writing has been going along well, I'm pushing for it.

I mean 1920's Europe political environment. Clothing style is more 60s than anything. There are girls in bikinis. :lol: All the main character art is already finished, the only thing left is some of the minor character sprites. I guess I could share some of it, if people want to see it.

My schedule has room built into it for a disaster. Short of being stuck in a coma for several months, I should be able to do it. The other crippling factor is money. I've got a small pool set aside for everything, but it is pretty slim. I can't afford to have a lot of CG or fancy backgrounds. A kickstarter would be used entirely for extra CG and special effects. I don't need to do it, but every little bit helps. I'm already pushing what little money I have to the max, I really don't want to give up my tea! I've never done anything commercial, or a kickstarter, or a visual novel for that matter. It's why I was looking for a partner not too long ago. I've read several of the threads here, but I guess the best way to learn is to do it yourself. ^.^ If I did it commercial, it would be so that I could fund the next game. I'm not too sure how to release something commercially though...

AsagiMete
Regular

#6 Post by AsagiMete »

Hello, everyone! Asagi is back with the good, the bad, and the pretty!

Good: After a lot of negotiating with a fellow VN maker, I've managed to secure a source of funding! With this, CG art and other problems aren't so threatening to the project anymore! We just hit the 15k mark on the story as well. We're on our way towards that release date!

Bad: We are gonna have to go commercial to help pay him back. I'm thinking that $5 for the game isn't too bad. It will certainly be worth that much! I'm not too sure how to setup a commercial setup, but we'll figure it out as we go.

Pretty: The first sketches of the 5 minor characters just came in and I've got to share!
minorchars.jpg
From left to right: Servant (the robed figures who support the researchers), Jill (head of Leore's League of Nations peacekeepers), Tomas (Lunin's advisor), Asagi (your cute game developer!), and Dominique Nvana (Undersecretary of Magical Development and "headmaster")

AsagiMete
Regular

#7 Post by AsagiMete »

One of the next sprites are done! It's your lovable Asagi! No, I'm not a route in the game. :lol:

GeneDNC
Veteran
Completed: Freezing v1.0

#8 Post by GeneDNC »

I seriously love the poses. They're different and dynamic for each person and they already convey a bit about their personalities.

AsagiMete
Regular

#9 Post by AsagiMete »

GeneDNC wrote:I seriously love the poses. They're different and dynamic for each person and they already convey a bit about their personalities.
Thank you so much! It's been really fun working with Shadilyn. All of the poses and outfits are so cool! I'm working really hard to make sure that my writing matches the quality of the art. ^.^ I really need to find a background artist. I don't have any backgrounds for a super fun beach scene I'm writing. :(

It just doesn't look right when poor awful Asagi draws the backgrounds. I'll give my call again. If there are any BG artists who would love to help out, I really need it.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#10 Post by Blane Doyle »

I'm surprised you have so many views but few comments on this. Then again, this thread has only been around for just over a week. (And the infodump at the start is a bit intimidating, perhaps?)

This sounds interesting, and I love the art for it. There's something about the colors and designs I enjoy especially.

AsagiMete
Regular

#11 Post by AsagiMete »

Blane Doyle wrote:I'm surprised you have so many views but few comments on this. Then again, this thread has only been around for just over a week. (And the infodump at the start is a bit intimidating, perhaps?)

This sounds interesting, and I love the art for it. There's something about the colors and designs I enjoy especially.
I was worried that nobody liked the plot. :? Is it really an info dump? It's just plot, setting, and characters. That's what the sticky wanted, right?

Shadilyn did such a great job on the designs. Lily has my favorite designs. Everything she wears is really pretty. ^_^

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Blane Doyle »

Well, I am always more drawn to projects that have a little more... mystery behind them! It's just my personal preference, however. A basic plot idea, some character profiles, more information added afterwords or hidden in the thread for those with interests piqued that are more adventurous in information gathering, that's what draws me in most.

The setting information, as it is and where it is, put me off a bit at first. I'd seen very dry projects and stories that start with a setting dump and they didn't seem as interesting as others where the setting was introduced in the story or put after the characters. I dunno, something about the order of the information seems to give off a feeling of the order of importance to the creator. But again, that is just me.

I admit, I like Lily's designs (I'm a sucker for nature motifs), but Winter is the one that won me over. She just looks so interesting and unique! There is something about her eyes and hair that I like to look at.

AsagiMete
Regular

#13 Post by AsagiMete »

Blane Doyle wrote:Well, I am always more drawn to projects that have a little more... mystery behind them! It's just my personal preference, however. A basic plot idea, some character profiles, more information added afterwords or hidden in the thread for those with interests piqued that are more adventurous in information gathering, that's what draws me in most.

The setting information, as it is and where it is, put me off a bit at first. I'd seen very dry projects and stories that start with a setting dump and they didn't seem as interesting as others where the setting was introduced in the story or put after the characters. I dunno, something about the order of the information seems to give off a feeling of the order of importance to the creator. But again, that is just me.

I admit, I like Lily's designs (I'm a sucker for nature motifs), but Winter is the one that won me over. She just looks so interesting and unique! There is something about her eyes and hair that I like to look at.
I think it might be the nation descriptions. Including it in the document I used when I was looking for a partner was a good idea, but it really isn't so useful here. All I've ever done for writing is personal stuff, so I'm even newer to this marketing thing than I am visual novels. :oops: That's why I wanted a partner to help me figure things out, but I think it might just be better on my own.

Winter, huh? ^.^ I think it is because almost all of her clothes have a cool color scheme and everything just feels really soft on her. The blueish white hair is really pretty. Since I really love sharing the art, here's one of her other outfits.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Blane Doyle »

Simple, and yet just as interesting as the other ones to me. Probably how the colors of her clothes look with the colors of her hair and eyes again. She's just nice to look at, like her namesake.

AsagiMete
Regular

#15 Post by AsagiMete »

Updates: Because of something I really don't want to talk about hurting productivity this week, I only wrote like 6,000 words. Still on schedule, but not as fast as I wanted to go. >0 Don't worry, Asagi will rally and win! Your super special awesome story will not only be done in time, but be totally awesome! Next week, I'm going to start my hunt for background artists. I'm gonna need 15 backgrounds, and since nobody wants to help out of sympathy for the poor developer and to keep us free, I'll be able to pay $50 a background. If anyone is interested, let me know. The official job offer will drop on Monday, but I'll let people snipe it. ^_^

Oh, before I forget, a new character as well!!! Meet Undersecretary of Magical Development and Understanding Dominique Rvana. He's a sweet, but serious man who is put in charge of managing Leore. While he doesn't have any magical powers, he's giving it his all to devulge the deepest mysteries of magic. Dominique might also be the older brother of another Termillian researcher...