Welcome to the NHK

For the rest of your otaku life.
angryjedi

Welcome to the NHK

#1 Post by angryjedi »

I'm a relatively recent convert to anime, largely coming via my interest in visual novels. One show I was specifically recommended by a friend who Knows About This Sort of Thing was Welcome to the NHK.

I've been very impressed with it. It combines witty humour with some very believable characters and situations -- some of which are, it has to be said, painfully familiar to me. I'm about three quarters of the way through now and very interested to see how it continues to develop.

Who else has seen this show? And, related: does anyone have any recommendations for shows in a similar vein?

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Welcome to the NHK

#2 Post by Samu-kun »

Welcome to the NHK is a great show. You should certainly read the manga version as well, because it's very different from the anime.

Another similar show is "The World God Only Knows." I don't think it's as well made, but it's a funny watch.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#3 Post by teacup »

I've only read the light novel, which I enjoyed. For some reason, the first comparison to pop in my head is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.
They're not similar in terms of plot but they both have dark humor and a somewhat psychotic cast. :D

angryjedi

#4 Post by angryjedi »

Great recommendations! Thank you, both. I will be sure to check them out. :)

DANCUBE
Regular

#5 Post by DANCUBE »

Welcome to the NHK is fantastic, I started with the anime, then read the novel and manga, each version is different, but they're all fantastic.
The ending of the anime is what inspired me to start my NHK VN, since it has less closure than the manga.

ZeroExistence009
Regular
Projects: Platonic Adolescence (Filipino VN for adolescents)

#6 Post by ZeroExistence009 »

Yeah yeah yeah!! I watched it. And it was really awesome anime!!! Reality at it's finest! xD It was one of my favorite animes and I will never forget that anime :D

I recommend to you the "Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru.". I think it is the one closest to compare to Welcome to the NHK. Try it and you will find out.

And Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei too.

It is also recommended to read the manga of Welcome to the NHK :D
Not Everything is Worth Existing. -- ZeroExistence009

80% Programmer, 15% Aspiring Writer, 5% Hentai, 0% Artist and 100% Lazy Bum

megatuga
Regular
Projects: 6 days (name subject to change)

#7 Post by megatuga »

Welcome to NHK... it had a weird impact on me at the start as it was all weird and that I lost count how many times "conspiracy" was said. Luckily after the first couple of episodes it started to smooth out the rough edges... partially because the main heroine... dunno why but I always took a liking to her no matter what.

While you are at it check out Watamote (the original name is too long to bother typing, sorry) it's more of a monologue when compared to NHK but there is a similar feeling at the same time.

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Lishy »

You might like Oreimo. You can watch it LEGALLY too, on Crunchyroll. (Yes, LEGAL!)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/oreimo
-

carbon-ko
Completed: 5 Questions

#9 Post by carbon-ko »

I liked Welcome to the NHK and that is saying something because I usually don't like slice of life anime. I recommend watching Bakuman, GTO, and Beck if you're like me and have trouble finding engaging slice of life anime.