NaNoWriMo '12

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

NaNoWriMo '12

#1 Post by Applegate »

It's that time of year again! A month before National Novel Writing Month kicks off, plunging all of us would-be writers into a frenzied stupor to try and put out 1,300 words a day and, ultimately, reach that glorious count of 50,000 words.

There's no guarantee it'll actually be a good story to read, though I hear people are inclined to do their best to put down the greatest story ever. (I've also heard few of the perfectionist ever win NaNoWriMo.)

So then, who're all participating in NaNo? Do you have basic concepts down, or are you already so advanced in planning you need only await the signal to start, and then you flood out words? Let's cheer each other on and put out at least a 60% rate of success among Lemma Soft Forum goers! (Or not, I, I mean, it's not like I care about you guys, or anything. Don't get me wrong, I just wanted to post a thread and I had a subject to talk about.)

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

Re: NaNoWriMo '12

#2 Post by tigerkidde »

Taking a few vacation days in November to crank out some major writage.

My concern is that there's the temptation to write about something I've already started writing as a brainstorm or two scene sample to get me grooving...

Then with more Ren'Py background, the temptation to write everything formatted in Ren'Py format (which may be better suited for the action script contest).

In either case, I hope to complete NaNoWriMo this year, lock away the inner editor, and whoop out the honey badger of writing.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3 Post by Sapphi »

I've never tried to do this... I kind of want to, but...
Even though 1300 words a day doesn't sound so intimidating in itself... the problem is what to write about, and not even so much that, but more specifically, what to write about that will be interesting to read... :?
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#4 Post by Sharm »

Love NaNo! Do it every year and even one once. Since they've cancelled Screnzy I'm thinking of being a rebel this year and doing a VN instead of a traditional novel. I don't see a problem with it since they're both novels, just different ways of formatting and presenting them. Also considering doing a complete seat of my pants novel where I ditch plot in favor of things like the traveling shovel of death and stream of consciousness writing.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#5 Post by Gear »

I've tried every year since 2008, and have not managed to get it done. Some of it is the writers' block, some of it is time, some of it is that I end up losing a couple days to my birthday celebrations and crap during that month... *sigh* Maybe one year I'll manage.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#6 Post by Desu_Cake »

I'll probably try it once again.
My personal goal will be 20k, since I know there's no way in hell I'll get to 50k.

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#7 Post by Anarchy »

Sapphi wrote:I've never tried to do this... I kind of want to, but...
Even though 1300 words a day doesn't sound so intimidating in itself... the problem is what to write about, and not even so much that, but more specifically, what to write about that will be interesting to read... :?
That's precisely the point of NaNo! To get you to write, period, instead of worrying about trifling things like whether or not what you write is good or interesting or whatever.

Though it's completely fine if you have detailed outlines and all that stuff done before November, as long as you don't start the actual writing until then.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Applegate »

If it helps any, Sapphi, even if your NaNoWriMo work is incredibly interesting to read, very few people will probably sit down to read 50,000 worth of amateur prose. Write with joy, not with the eye on throwing down a best-seller.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#9 Post by Omnificent »

Applegate where the hell have you been why are you never on AIM D<

I couldn't possibly do NaNo though, it's taken me over a year just to write ~98k.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

#10 Post by tigerkidde »

I think having to write for work / school, where quality is a factor, chips away at the motivation to write for leisure after hours. Especially when there's this invisible deadline of 50,000+ words before the end of November.

Tis' why I'm hoping a sprinkle of vacation day here and there will offset the mental impact writing for work had on dwriting for NaNoWriMo.

That and the theme of the event, getting the writing done. Don't worry about editing it or going back to correct it for flow. Might I even suggest not reading more than a paragraph of what you wrote from the day before, lest the inner editor surface and pull out the chisel. You'll spend the next 11 months doing editing in most cases, voluntarily or involuntarily.

I'm also gonna try lodging myself in a cafe or library setting a bit more often so that the "games" aren't whispering sweet sexy interactive adventures with delicious music and occasional cinematics at me.

Last year's distractions: DW3: Gundam, Dark Souls, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, and Final Fantasy 14.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#11 Post by Anna »

Well, I still have about six projects waiting for me in my WIP folder, so now that I'm done with the writing for my current project... might as well do one! Besides, it'll become a nice salad of art + writing that way, I'm looking forward to it~
Applegate wrote:If it helps any, Sapphi, even if your NaNoWriMo work is incredibly interesting to read, very few people will probably sit down to read 50,000 worth of amateur prose. Write with joy, not with the eye on throwing down a best-seller.
Yup he's right, but Applegate, you're still not allowed to add padding to a story on purpose >:0! I will read it and check...!

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Applegate »

Anna wrote:
Applegate wrote:If it helps any, Sapphi, even if your NaNoWriMo work is incredibly interesting to read, very few people will probably sit down to read 50,000 worth of amateur prose. Write with joy, not with the eye on throwing down a best-seller.
Yup he's right, but Applegate, you're still not allowed to add padding to a story on purpose >:0! I will read it and check...!
I'll hold you to that! B, besides, it's not like I actually planned to pad out my stories, or anything. It seems to be that you are in error, that is to say you are entirely wrong in belief. Whatever you believe and what will be the truth is different, you see, because you have the wrong view. That I will use padding is simply not true, and you will see that you are wrong when you say that I will pad! Or even assume that I would pad. Or suspect. Because that'd be wrong. I'd never pad stuff, and if you think I would you'd be wrong!

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#13 Post by Anna »

Applegate wrote: I'll hold you to that! B, besides, it's not like I actually planned to pad out my stories, or anything. It seems to be that you are in error, that is to say you are entirely wrong in belief. Whatever you believe and what will be the truth is different, you see, because you have the wrong view. That I will use padding is simply not true, and you will see that you are wrong when you say that I will pad! Or even assume that I would pad. Or suspect. Because that'd be wrong. I'd never pad stuff, and if you think I would you'd be wrong!
We'll see about that when it's the end of November! I have a sixth sense for purposefully added padding. In fact, it's tingling right now...!

junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

#14 Post by junna »

=.= hmm... nah. I'm a bit too pedantic to do a NaNoWriMo...and although I've sufficiently overcome my dyslexia, it still attacks when I least expect it to.
Then, I'll be rewriting everything and panicking because I haven't had anyone to proofread what I wrote. lol.

I'll probably start scripting a WIP though. lol
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#15 Post by Sapphi »

Anarchy wrote: That's precisely the point of NaNo! To get you to write, period, instead of worrying about trifling things like whether or not what you write is good or interesting or whatever.
Oh... I thought it was like NaNoRenO where you had to show people what you made at the end of the month. XD

I should totally do it then! I could totally write a rough draft of my ~*sUpEr SeCrEt StOrY*~ with absolutely no effort AND not feel bad about how terrible it was afterwards because NaNoRenO is about completion! GUYS, I AM PSYCHED
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬