Tips for Quickly & Accurately laying down Flats?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

Re: Tips for Quickly & Accurately laying down Flats?

#16 Post by nyaatrap »

My way of painting is: make a color layer folder > select canvas > invert selection > selection into a layer mask on the color folder > paint shadows as monochrome on the top layer of the color folder > add flat color layers below the shadow layer.
It's a bit tricky, but pretty fast to be done.

Taosym
Veteran
Projects: http://lupiesoft.com/
Organization: Lupiesoft

#17 Post by Taosym »

I'm going to try this to see how it works out.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#18 Post by nyaatrap »

The layer masks is the second function of paint tools - no one knows how to use it effectively. I'm using it, but don't know it's the best or not. This function needs further experimental.

Taosym
Veteran

#19 Post by Taosym »

nyaatrap wrote:The layer masks is the second function of paint tools - no one knows how to use it effectively. I'm using it, but don't know it's the best or not. This function needs further experimental.
After trying it out on a few images, I think it works really nicely for getting a very clean base layer. It could save time for those who use Sai to switch the Photoshop to lay down a flat using this method.

Usually when you select something in Sai using Strict Selection, it can cause jagged edges on your flats. On really thin lines these are easy to see. I will try doing all my flats in Photoshop before paining in Sai to see the difference!

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#20 Post by nyaatrap »

I doubt the Phoshoshop's resizing is better, since I investigate with my eyes, SAI may be using Bicubic, but it's sharpening is not hard as Photohop - its looks more natural.
I checked some images with variable images - and the conclusion is, SAI is using the bicubic, or something same as to the bicubic people (include me) can't notice. If it's cubic - it's beyond my eyes and that's should be beyond 99% people's eye's.

junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

#21 Post by junna »

nyaatrap wrote:I doubt the Phoshoshop's resizing is better, since I investigate with my eyes, SAI may be using Bicubic, but it's sharpening is not hard as Photohop - its looks more natural.
I checked some images with variable images - and the conclusion is, SAI is using the bicubic, or something same as to the bicubic people (include me) can't notice. If it's cubic - it's beyond my eyes and that's should be beyond 99% people's eye's.
^^;; I resize lines using a vector program because I wanted a 'smoother' looking line as opposed to photoshop...
but then I have HQ rescale plug-in for GIMP which gives me the most amazing rescales...well, upscales.
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

Taosym
Veteran

#22 Post by Taosym »

nyaatrap wrote:I doubt the Phoshoshop's resizing is better, since I investigate with my eyes, SAI may be using Bicubic, but it's sharpening is not hard as Photohop - its looks more natural.
The selection tool in SAI, in my opinion is better than Photoshop's. It gives for me, who mostly does linework, sharper detail. When I select an area using the magic wand though. The borders are jagged. There is a fuzzy select, but it's not as good.

But it's one of those things where no one will ever know it's there, except for me looking at the image 100% lossless. :lol:

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#23 Post by nyaatrap »

Taosym wrote:The selection tool in SAI, in my opinion is better than Photoshop's. It gives for me, who mostly does linework, sharper detail. When I select an area using the magic wand though. The borders are jagged. There is a fuzzy select, but it's not as good.

But it's one of those things where no one will ever know it's there, except for me looking at the image 100% lossless. :lol:

It's one of the reason I'm using SAI for flatting colors - Phothoshop is just worse in this matter.