For the rest of your otaku life.
akizakura
Regular
Completed: Adversity Comp 2012
Projects: Everything's Going My Way
Organization: Mitayume

Japanese Language Proficiency Test

#1 Post by akizakura »

I've seen a few people around the forums who are studying Japanese or speak the language, so I wanted to ask - is anyone taking the JLPT this year? How about people who've taken it in the past?

I'm finally taking it. My employer wouldn't accept the JLPT, but a lot of employers in Japan prefer it. I'm aiming for N2 and studying like crazy (mostly using the Sou Matome books right now). ...signing up for NaNoWriMo right before the test probably wasn't so good... :)

Also, are there tests in other languages that are used as much as the JLPT?

To anyone else taking it, best of luck!

Ayutac
Regular
Projects: Pokémon Dating Sim
Organization: A Breeze Of Science
Deviantart: Ubro

Re: Japanese Language Proficiency Test

#2 Post by Ayutac »

This test is held in my town too, but I will just start studying Japanese this semester, so I have about one and a half year to go.
Up next: An original, open source, text-based Dating Sim. Stay tuned ;)

chensterrain
Veteran
Completed: Lucky Rabbit Reflex!, Dusk ~A Moonlight Romance~
Projects: Edge of Elsewhere
Organization: Super63
Tumblr: supersixthree
Deviantart: chensterrain

#3 Post by chensterrain »

I took the N2 back in 2010 and just about scraped a pass - it didn't help that I guess most of the kanji I studied were possibly from the old 2kyuu exam, since pretty much none of them showed up on the day, hurr. I can't say I ended up using the qualification for anything, but it's nice to have! I'd like to go for the N1 someday, but seeing as I barely passed the N2 (and have pretty much forgotten everything I learnt for it) I don't think I'm quite at that level yet.

Best of luck with the exam! :)

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#4 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Hmm... I guess I should probably do JLPT at some point. I don't really need it for my job, and doing JLPT would mean I have to actually study. *shudders*
On the flipside, experiencing JLPT would probably be useful for my project.

Anyway, best of luck to you and anyone else who may be taking JLPT in the near future.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#5 Post by Destiny »

I'm free to do the JLPT since I will study in Japan next spring, but I don't have to (TOEFL [the english test] is enough for them), so I guess, I will avoid it since I'm not that good xD
But I'm going there to learn the language and since I want to work there later (I even have a few workplaces that would be interested), I will have to take that test sooner or later, I guess ^^
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)