RIVER TRAP [released]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#61 Post by Taleweaver »

Two minor hints: The password spells out one sentence (without spaces, though), and it is NOT, repeat, NOT scrambled.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#62 Post by Sai »

Oh my gosh!!! I got it! I got it!! AHHH XD

Possible spoiler for password, highlight to read:
I could see one part was backwards but couldn't seem to figure out any other words that were backwards. Once I noticed one and guessed at some other parts it fitted together!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#63 Post by mikey »

:D

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#64 Post by Alessio »

Hi Mikey,

Played RT for the first time yesterday (ending #4). Congratulations, it's a really good one. The story is gripping and full of unexpected twists, and the style is gorgeous IMHO. Colours and shapes just work wonderfully. I'm starting to think you're the Jim Jarmusch of Ren'ai. :-)

The only minor nag (like in Black Pencil) is the "guess where you have to click the mouse to proceed" interaction. In the beginning I thought the game doesn't run on my system -- until I clicked around in the dark somewhere.

I'll continue playing for the other endings, in the meantime thanks for this great game!

Cheers,
Alessio

Realistic

#65 Post by Realistic »

have only one nitpick: ending one " any ending" really needs a little somthing behind the very last choice. it just doesnt feel right making the last choice and seeing "the end" ( this was the ending i got first, and i was extremely dissappointed, seeing how the lead up really doesnt even sway you at all. really bland, IMHO)

in the end i played out the entire game, through every possible rout to get the password. clever ;) quite clever.

ive played ToL 1 and both black pencil and River trap. i dont know if its been suggested yet, but, i really think a game made by Both Mikey and Blue lemma could come out amazing. working off each other, a truely great game could be made.

but thats just *my* opinion.

-Realistic

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#66 Post by mikey »

Realistic wrote:have only one nitpick: ending one " any ending" really needs a little somthing behind the very last choice. it just doesnt feel right making the last choice and seeing "the end" ( this was the ending i got first, and i was extremely dissappointed, seeing how the lead up really doesnt even sway you at all. really bland, IMHO)
I did that on purpose, but yes, you can be right. Thanks for the comment though, because no one ever mentioned this before. :(
Realistic wrote: ive played ToL 1 and both black pencil and River trap. i dont know if its been suggested yet, but, i really think a game made by Both Mikey and Blue lemma could come out amazing. working off each other, a truely great game could be made.
Well... my schedule is quite full now, and my next project will be much smaller (you have to scale down at some point :wink: ), Lemma is busy, we live on different continents, you know... problems, problems... :D

Realistic

#67 Post by Realistic »

well yea, hes busy with ToL 2 ( but Your busy? hmm >.>) but after playing both of your games, each one seemed to be missing somthing the other had ( i cant put my finger on it) but i think if you worked together ( obviously at some point in the future) a game could be put out that is flawless.

and as for the ending one, a simple fix would be to add image of the shigekos choice on the "the end" screen. him visualising his choice. not much but it makes that last choice mean somthing.

[Edit] and the different continent thing isnt a problem, thats what IM and forums are fore. geez, get with the times ;)

-Realistic

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#68 Post by mikey »

*** tries to escape Realistic's reasoning ***

Well... uhm... I AM busy you know... and... errr... we in Slovakia don't have computers, refrigerators and we work by candle light! Err....

Alright, the truth is... I can't do it now. I have several projects running (not all of them are games) and I already have other people "signed up" for them. Next year, summer, I'll be free. Lemma also works with many other people, so... yeah, excuses, lame excuses. :(

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#69 Post by Sai »

Haha don't worry mikey. They're not lame XD They're not even excuses. They're fantastic reasons because: It's what you want. And that's the important thing. I know if I had that kind of workload I wouldn't want to take up more either.

Besides, personally, I don't think your games were missing something. I think you and Lemma both have your own individual styles which are both in their own ways lovely. A combined project would certainly be something interesting, but I wouldn't feel it's necessary. Your games seemed well-rounded to me and very unique.

Best of luck with your other work.

#70 Post by Guest »

mikey wrote:*** tries to escape Realistic's reasoning ***

Well... uhm... I AM busy you know... and... errr... we in Slovakia don't have computers, refrigerators and we work by candle light! Err....

Alright, the truth is... I can't do it now. I have several projects running (not all of them are games) and I already have other people "signed up" for them. Next year, summer, I'll be free. Lemma also works with many other people, so... yeah, excuses, lame excuses. :(
hey, no rush, its not like ether of you ( or all of your fans) are going to drop off the earth in a year or two. just keep in touch with lemma and see if you cant start somthing a year or so down the road.

by the way, i can sympathise with the no computer thing. i dont even have a hard-drive, i just have a group of asian kids that i forced to memorize numbers :wink:
No offence meant by that joke

Realistic

#71 Post by Realistic »

ok that "guest" post is me, i just wasnt logged in :oops:
theres my mistake for the hour.

-Realistic

Jerails
Veteran

#72 Post by Jerails »

Hey man, no offense taken!

...*Realizes the pic he posted up of himself makes it look like he's not asian*...I am, ya know? I'm in the single digit percentages, but it's there!
It's been a while, folks!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#73 Post by mikey »

Thank you (all). It's really the scheduling that allows me to release projects on time, no delays. The next one won't be ground-breaking, but I hope it will be worth it nevertheless. There are several things about the release that will have to be explained, but that is the future. Winter 2004, okie? That's when we meet again. In the meantime, I just can't wait to play Town Heat (darn my slow connection again) and Metropolitan Blues, and Tol2 and... you know, let others work, hehe :D (yes, and please don't ask me about the next project, it's pointless. thanks)

:wink: :wink:

BlackSpider
Regular

#74 Post by BlackSpider »

Finally, today I had a closer look at River Trap. Which means, I completed a lot of different endings (didn't find all of them though) and was able to enter the bonus section (partially thanks to Sai spoiler :)). IMO the best ending I got was ending 8 (shopping ending with Shizuka). Very nice, although I felt kind of weird kissing my "so called sister" in public places. At endings 7 and 8 I got the feeling that Shizuka is much more happy if I choose her then Akemi would be. I don't know, it's perhaps she loves Shigeko more than the real Akemi. I'm not talking about the sister-brother kind of love here. She loves Shigeko (as a women would love a man) to the point that she can no longer live if her feelings are not reciprocated. On the other hand, the real Akemi does not show such desperation. However, ending with Shizuka is not really a brother-sister ending, since Akemi's soul is trapped inside Shizuka...

Um, well. As for the bonus section. Those CG'ed characters look much better than those in the real games. Even a few colors can make a great effect. Also, I think that the bonus section characters with real photos would be a better choice for the real game. But it's just me... Anyway, I'll say this again. Great work here...

snowballinhell

#75 Post by snowballinhell »

First off, a big hey there to everyone on the forum, as I'm new here n' all, and also a thanks to Mikey for creating a great game, which I've just played, getting the Bike Ending (and am now, naturally, about to dissect, with much parentheses).
BlackSpider wrote:At endings 7 and 8 I got the feeling that Shizuka is much more happy if I choose her then Akemi would be. I don't know, it's perhaps she loves Shigeko more than the real Akemi. I'm not talking about the sister-brother kind of love here. She loves Shigeko (as a women would love a man) to the point that she can no longer live if her feelings are not reciprocated. On the other hand, the real Akemi does not show such desperation.
I agree with this and, for me, that's why I was shooting for the original (the 'Classic'? :wink: ) Akemi all along, and why I was very happy with my ending. It's not healthy to love someone as much as Shizuka, or AKEMI, did, whether it's as a brother or a boyfriend. It's not good for you or them. I felt very sorry for AKEMI and hoped she'd eventually get better and find a life for herself, but that was it. And I think it's a credit to the depth of the game that I got this involved in thinking it through. So congratulations to Mikey once again :)