The Silent Maiden

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
mokenju1
Regular

The Silent Maiden

#1 Post by mokenju1 »

The first version of my IntRenAiMo entry (with the script finished but still unchecked). I have still a lot of work to do with backgrounds :roll: ...
Last edited by mokenju1 on Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ignosco
Veteran

#2 Post by Ignosco »

I've downloaded it - unfortunately I can't actually launch the project, I get an error because I don't have the 'Adine.ttf' font and it's not something that I can download legally.

I can still do the proofreading though - I'll start on it tonight and hopefully I'll be able to get it back to you in the next day or two.

Ignosco

mokenju1
Regular

#3 Post by mokenju1 »

I downloaded that font from http://www.creamundo.com/index.php?lang=es. I supposed it was legal to download it from that site :shock:

Ignosco
Veteran

#4 Post by Ignosco »

Sorry about the inconvenience... the font it seems to be saying that it's missing is 'Adine.ttf' which doesn't seem to be the same as the adine_kirnberg.ttf ones? (and the actual adine.ttf file I can only find as a bittorent or for sale in a commercial package)

I've tried those fonts in the link you gave me, and have installed them. I'm getting this error though when I launch the project.

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

Exception: Could not find font: ('Adine.ttf', 22, False, False, False)

While executing game script on line 86 of renpy-6.0.0/common/00mainmenu.rpy.
While executing python code on line 140 of renpy-6.0.0/common/00mainmenu.rpy.
While executing python code on line 61 of renpy-6.0.0/common/00mainmenu.rpy.
While executing python code on line 140 of renpy-6.0.0/common/00mainmenu.rpy.

I'll just get started on the script on the proofreading - sorry to bother you about this, it's not particularly relevant at this stage.

Thanks,
Ignosco

mokenju1
Regular

#5 Post by mokenju1 »

Don't worry, It's my fault after all for not adding the font to the file of the game.

I renamed the font because I was too lazy to type Adine-kirnberg-etc every time I wanted to change the font when I was making proves with differents fonts :lol: . That's the reason ren'py can't find it.

I'm uploading the font I had used ( because I forgot what was its original name :oops: ). If you add this file to the common directory of renpy 6.0.0 it should have to work.
Last edited by mokenju1 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ignosco
Veteran

#6 Post by Ignosco »

Thanks mokenju :D, it works now - I just want to get a feel for the gameplay before I start proofreading.

mokenju1
Regular

#7 Post by mokenju1 »

I forgot to hide Mr.Jeremy Woodhouse after an scene and now he thinks he is the main character of the story... fool old man :lol: .

I have corrected that in the original script, but if you want to play the game without looking at him all the time Ignosco, you only have to add the line:

hide Jeremy with dissolve

After the line 221.

That serves me right for having not played the game at least once after adding the image of the characters :oops: .

And I have to make bigger the font at the menus of the game, it's tiny now...

Ignosco
Veteran

#8 Post by Ignosco »

I love the story :), just starting the proofreading but a few things things I've noticed from playing.

I think there might be 2 small bugs – the dorisevent variable has to be true to proceed past day 6, but at line 807 of script.rpy the variable is dorisevent2.

The other one is

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

NameError: name 'auntpw' is not defined

While executing game script on line 434 of C:\Documents and Settings\papi\Escritorio\Renpy 6.0.0\renpy-6.0.0\The Silent Maiden/game/script.rpy.

Also a few of the lines are too long to fit in the normal textbox and it's probably not ideal having it change in size to fit them in.

mokenju1
Regular

#9 Post by mokenju1 »

I knew that day 2-3 were going to give me a lot of headaches... :cry: Although I used lint it's very difficult sometimes to find that kind of errors because of the different choices.

The second problem was easy to solve I wrote auntpw instead of auntpew. I have to find another way of renaming the variables or they are going to drive me nuts...

Thanks for your help Ignosco, I'm going to try to fix the bug with poor Doris and divide some of the long paragraphs now :wink: .

Ignosco
Veteran

#10 Post by Ignosco »

Do you want me to wait until you've divided the long paragraphs before I start proofreading? - so that you don't have to combine bits from two different scripts.

mokenju1
Regular

#11 Post by mokenju1 »

No, you can go ahead if you want. I'm going to correct the errors manually so it doesn't matter. Anyway I think some paragraphs shouldn't be divided now that I'm reading them, thus I'm going to find another solution. If I have to sacrifice the Adine font only to make the text fit better I'm going to do it 8) .

mokenju1
Regular

#12 Post by mokenju1 »

A little update:

- Finish the backgrounds. Checked

- Solve the first bugs. Checked ( And waiting for many more...)

- Saying goodbye to the Adine Font. Checked. (Sorry darling, you are beautiful but I can't use you. I had to choose between you and the pace of the story... and you lost.Maybe another time...)

- Keep the integrity of the poor paragraphs threatened by the evil (but beautiful) Adine Font. Checked.

And I only have to wait some hours for starting the script of the NaNoRenO entry YAY!

Ignosco
Veteran

#13 Post by Ignosco »

I've finished proofreading it - hopefully what I've done is ok. There are a few comments which I've put in a word document - oh and sorry, I forgot to delete all of the save files from when I was playing through it.

The Adine font adds a lot to the atmosphere, but it's not that easy to read and it seems to take up too much space in the textbox for its size - so yeah, I agree with getting rid of it.

Ignosco :)
Last edited by Ignosco on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mokenju1
Regular

#14 Post by mokenju1 »

You have done a great job Ignosco :D . That's the second version of the game with the script finished and corrected.

EDIT: I've upload a third version with some bugs fixed.

Ignosco
Veteran

#15 Post by Ignosco »

Ok, here are my corrections :)