What do you want to know about Japan?

For the rest of your otaku life.
inhalance
Regular
Projects: Seasonal Melody ♬

Re: What do you want to know about Japan?

#31 Post by inhalance »

Forget I even asked that question guys... -bangs head against a wall-
Offering proofreading help and writing assets.

Current WIP:

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#32 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

dramspringfeald wrote: Now Trick, Is Japan as Xenophobic as they let on? I've heard all kinds of horror stories from tourists.
Short answer: yes. But it's improving rapidly, and depends on many factors. Japan is a very unique country with a well established culture, and their own language.

Some tourists come to Japan without doing any research, expecting they can just stroll around as they would in their own country, expecting everyone else to speak English, and then complain about how unfriendly everyone was.

It's embarrassing, and I've seen it many times. I shun those people more than any Japanese person would.

People in Tokyo are polite, but quite reserved, so it seem they are cold, when in fact they aren't. I've had complete strangers go to extraordinary lengths to help me when I came to Japan, but I tried to use what little Japanese I knew. People appreciate the effort.

People in Osaka tend to be less reserved, so it's a really good place to meet and chat with new people.

And there is a myth I want to dispel for anyone planning to visit Japan: yes, everyone studies some English at school, but most people can't really speak English. Think of them as non-Japanese who watch anime. They know some words, but most people aren't going to be able to hold a conversation.

Your best bet is to learn some Japanese survival phrases. You'll be surprised how little you need to do most things.

Um, it's probably obvious, but the "you" above wasn't referring to anyone in particular.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Lumella
Regular
Completed: Jose Rizal Visual Novel Game
Projects: Last Cycle's Vision
Organization: Unis

#33 Post by Lumella »

Probably one of the things I want to learn about is their Japanese cuisines (including confectionery), ranging from the simplest to the most complicated, and their dietary lifestyle on how they managed to keep themselves thin despite having such a busy lifestyle. There ought to be other recipes than the typically known foods such as sushi and Japanese street foods or such.

I heard that Japan is considered as one of the countries with the most healthiest diet when it comes to food. I've been meaning to learn about their recipes (or alter it in a way given that some ingredients are not available locally) whenever my adoptive Japanese grandparents came to visit us. Obaa-chan has a youthful glow despite her aging, and I really think it has something to do with her diet.

Because of the language barrier (and refusal of Grandpa to translate for his wife and me), I never got around knowing her "beauty secrets". OTL
ImageImageImageImage

Artist. Indie Game Designer. Graphic Designer. 3D Hobbyist.
My VN Project: Last Cycle's Vision / Status: Slowly Active

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#34 Post by nyaatrap »

I can only cook simplest ones. And from my experience, water is the key element on Japanese food. It's free, can get anywhere, no harm, and taste really good (at least in rural Japan. I can't live in Tokyo because its water is terrible). Vegetables which contains good water, and cooked with good water, are already the best food. You know Japanese rice - it's just boiled crops without any seasoning, but we love to eat. Their natural taste is enough good, and it's mostly came from the quality of water.
Though when their taste is dull... I add soy source. It can fit anything. Seasonings I use heavily are soy source, sweet sake, miso, and plain salt. I barely need others. I even don't use any oils in most foods.

About Xenophobic ? Yes, but this attitude is mainly came from "shame". When Japanese hesitate to speak to foreigners, they think "why I'm so useless" and feel sorry to them.
BTW, I can't speak English in real time. I can read, write, and listen - but it's hard to speak. I'm sure if you write down English, many Japanese can understand it and can write something back.

cuttlefish
Regular

#35 Post by cuttlefish »

I'm interested in the truth about Japanese gangs (yakuza, school delinquents) and how the Japanese view violence.

More specifically:
How likely are you to encounter someone from the yakuza? (Have you?)
Are yakuza groups viewed more positively or negatively in Japan?

Is someone more likely to be picked on or become a delinquent if they have fair hair (e.g. blond)?
Do juvenile delinquents fight with other juvenile delinquents (same/different school) more than pick on non-delinquents in their school?

Questions from a friend:
What are their views on homosexuality?
Are Japanese gay bars hard to find?
What are their views on college dropouts, single parents, Filipinos, Chinese people, Russians, and Asian Americans?
Are street musicians common in most big cities?
What natural hair colors do Japanese people have besides black?
How bad would green hair stand out in a big city?
How easy is it to keep a horse and live in the city?
And what is the most common type of debt Japanese people have?

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#36 Post by dramspringfeald »

Lumella wrote:Probably one of the things I want to learn about is their Japanese cuisines (including confectionery), ranging from the simplest to the most complicated, and their dietary lifestyle on how they managed to keep themselves thin despite having such a busy lifestyle. There ought to be other recipes than the typically known foods such as sushi and Japanese street foods or such.

I heard that Japan is considered as one of the countries with the most healthiest diet when it comes to food. I've been meaning to learn about their recipes (or alter it in a way given that some ingredients are not available locally) whenever my adoptive Japanese grandparents came to visit us. Obaa-chan has a youthful glow despite her aging, and I really think it has something to do with her diet.

Because of the language barrier (and refusal of Grandpa to translate for his wife and me), I never got around knowing her "beauty secrets". OTL
===
Oddly I've been learning to cook mostly authentic Japanese and Asian foods. I've found that youtube is full of helpful tips.

BAM!

She does some really good ones. I would stay away from "cooking with dog" though... just seems unhealthy.

As for Sushi, well in the states it's "raw fish" + some long cut veggies + long grain prepared rice with Rice vinegar. makes it stickier. Roll or pad into a ball or sheet with a bit of wax paper or a proper roller. roll it into a "Sushi roll" and your good. You can also just clump the rice into a ball press the fish and a little Ginger into it and your good.

Sushimi is the exact same as Sushi but the fish can be ANY cooked meat cut into thin strips and tends to have grilled veggies instead of raw ones.
===

The secret to ageing is good genes with lots of Miso and kelp.

Also the Japanese stop eating when they are starting to feel full instead of when they are full.

Hope that helps.

==================

cuttlefish wrote:I'm interested in the truth about Japanese gangs (yakuza, school delinquents) and how the Japanese view violence.

More specifically:

Is someone more likely to be picked on or become a delinquent if they have fair hair (e.g. blond)?
Do juvenile delinquents fight with other juvenile delinquents (same/different school) more than pick on non-delinquents in their school?

Questions from a friend:
What are their views on college dropouts, single parents, Filipinos, Chinese people, Russians, and Asian Americans?

lol ALSO something I tend to know a little about... though I have NO personal Experience so take it with a grain of salt.
===
~Oddly I HAVE delt with a few out in the Seattle area... think of Japanese/Asian bangers. Most are jsut bitchy kids with no balls and even less skill.

~ No... Just No. Mickey Mouse was banned in Japan until the late 70's early 80's because he only had 3 fingers. 3 Fingers were a sign of a higher ranking (Or lower depending on the group) Gangster and to many of the Japanese was VERY offensive. He got his rank because he was willing to remove his pinky as a sign of loyalty. NOW they are thugs who tend to use guns in drive-by's and deal hard core drugs.

but seriously anyone looking up to them needs to find a flight of bullets and fall down them.

~You watch too much anime. They will probably be ignored or hunted by people looking for another color beyond "yellow" if you catch my drift. think the opposite of Yellow Fever.

~Again you watch too much anime

===

~Most don't care just keep it to yourself.

~No

~Watch "Welcome to NHK

~I've seen a few

~Red/Auburn, Brown and the occasional Blond.

~Not too much. but the further you move from Tokyo and Osaka the more they will usually just ignore you.

~?

~ probably Housing and Auto
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#37 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I have to disagree with a few points.
dramspringfeald wrote:How likely are you to encounter someone from the yakuza? (Have you?)
~Oddly I HAVE delt with a few out in the Seattle area... think of Japanese/Asian bangers. Most are jsut bitchy kids with no balls and even less skill.
Those are not really yakuza, even if they claim they are.
dramspringfeald wrote:NOW they are thugs who tend to use guns in drive-by's and deal hard core drugs.
Not sure about the drugs part, but I've never heard of any drive-bys.
Generally if you leave them alone, Yakuza will leave you alone too.

~Red/Auburn, Brown and the occasional Blond.
Dark brown. I've never seen anyone with natural brown hair, but I've heard it *may* be possible.
If you see someone with blonde or red hair in Japan, it's either dyed, or at least one of their parents are not Japanese.
~Not too much. but the further you move from Tokyo and Osaka the more they will usually just ignore you.
It would stand out a lot, even in Tokyo. The only time you might see someone with hair like that is in a small area of somewhere like Harajuku, or at some kind of cosplay event.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Kaiyume
Regular

#38 Post by Kaiyume »

I've heard that the suicide rate in Japan is extremely high... how does this affect Japanese people/society? Is it still considered an "honorable death" or does suicide carry the same stigma as it does here?

Also, are shut-ins (I think they're called hikikomori) very common?

bunbun
Regular

#39 Post by bunbun »

Kaiyume wrote:I've heard that the suicide rate in Japan is extremely high... how does this affect Japanese people/society? Is it still considered an "honorable death" or does suicide carry the same stigma as it does here?

Also, are shut-ins (I think they're called hikikomori) very common?
I come upon suicides once every few months, mostly train suicide although I've never seen someone jumping.(might be because I take trains to work everyday that the chances are higher than usual)
Suicide of jumping down of buildings are pretty common too.
It might just be my area but I'm not surprise to hear news whenever people suicide. The only thing that bothers me is that suiciders cause trouble to the public, especially transport.

I don't see how it's honorable death. Maybe you're thinking of samurai era of seppuku?

As for hikikomori, I've not seen any so far. (well I wouldn't be able to since they stay at home and not socialize outside right?) However, a lot of my friends are freelancer or jobless but get random part times from time to time. They stay at home more often. It could be because of the content of my work which is harder to find job/more freelance works.
WIPS