Magical Boutique

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ren

Re: Magical Boutique

#226 Post by Ren »

I thought so too, but I ended being in the infinite loop even though I downloaded version 1.2, so I assumed I still had to download the patch(on page 2 PyTom points out it's faulty, and Monele provides a second one to fix the problem, I noticed it only in a second moment, that's why I downloaded both)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#227 Post by monele »

My memories of this are slightly hazy but DaFool is right on the "1.2" point. The version is displayed when you start the game, so try to see which version you have now.

The weirdest thing is that you say it still crashes on a *new* game with the version you have now? o_O... Maybe starting from scratch might be wise. And just install the 1.2 version (no patching needed) then.

Ren

#228 Post by Ren »

That's the problem, I had version 1.2 from the beginning.
I wasn't expecting to incur in that loop problem because of that but I did, so I just assumed I needed the patches anyway...I can of course reinstall it and start from scratch, I just hope it doesn't happen again...

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#229 Post by monele »

Another thing : what do you call "the loop"? Are we talking about that part of the game where things just don't seem to move on at all?
If so, just know that the number on the top right corner is supposed to go over 22 or 23 (I don't remember exactly) for the last event to trigger. Maybe you were just *near* but kept going down and never reaching it? It happened to a lot of people ^^;

Ren

#230 Post by Ren »

Yes, it's 23 :3
It took me so much time to reach it I thought I ended in a time paradox for a moment, sorry for the confusion!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#231 Post by monele »

I *really* should have put it at 22 XD... I'm glad things are running again :)

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

#232 Post by Midnighticequeen »

Is there going to be a Magical Boutique 2 in the future?

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#233 Post by musical74 »

As far as I know MB 2 has been put on permanent hold, but maybe that's changed? monele and DaFool could tell you for sure.

Something I noticed while playing this again...
When Pom calls main character *old man* and then runs away <half expecting Pom laughing!> and MC saying *Hey I'm still in my early 20s!" his next line is *See you soon, Kiddo...* like something an older guy says affectionally to someone younger!
just one of those little things that make the game so much fun! Now...off to play it again.....
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#234 Post by monele »

MB2 is indeed on hold for now, but I have not forgotten it. I'm constantly coming back to the project in my mind, trying to find new ways to bring back Framboise and the whole team. If it *does* come out one day, it's better to expect something really different. Not in mood, but in game genre. It might become an RPG, or a regular VN, or a Choose Your Own Adventure experience. I haven't found anything yet that really strikes my fancy.

musical74 : this makes me really happy, to know that the game is still being played and enjoyed ^^. I also grin happily when small details like this are spotted and appreciated ^^. For someone like me who tends to fear his characters are dull and one-dimensional, it's reassuring :)

== EDIT ==

Oh! And I have question for people who played and enjoyed MB : what do you think was the main strength of MagBou, the one thing you wouldn't want to disappear, lest it wouldn't be MagBou anymore?

And side related question : would a more adventurous game taking place in the MagBou universe still be MagBou or not? (adventurous would probably mean less management, more exploring, interacting with world inhabitants and *maybe* fighting)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#235 Post by mikey »

monele wrote:Oh! And I have question for people who played and enjoyed MB : what do you think was the main strength of MagBou, the one thing you wouldn't want to disappear, lest it wouldn't be MagBou anymore?

And side related question : would a more adventurous game taking place in the MagBou universe still be MagBou or not? (adventurous would probably mean less management, more exploring, interacting with world inhabitants and *maybe* fighting)
It was the focus on the "herbal world" things that made the atmosphere for me, along with the fact it was really not pushing you anywhere - just pick it up and play, immerse yourself in the world. I felt really good, cosy, and "in no danger" when I was playing, so this peaceful atmosphere was the defining experience for me.

So, to the second question, fighting would kill (pun intended) the original MagBou for me. Exploring wouldn't. Well, I just don't see how aggressive behavior fits into the mood.

In any case, I'm often more inclined to make a completely clean slate, so if you don't critically need the MagBou world, I'd simply make a similar one, call it something else and be free of the legacy - especially in fanmade circles you're not pushed into sequels for marketing reasons, so often the ability to start with a clean project can give you a much more fresh focus - it doesn't mean that a new game can't take good elements from MagBou and at the same time go into a different direction - but really it's a matter of whether the MagBou badge is needed.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#236 Post by monele »

Herbal world : what did you think of mineral and fauna gathering? Was it still fit?
No danger : yeah... I *did* create MagBou because I was sick of violent/conflictual games at the time (hence why I didn't want to put rival shops either).

One of my ideas was to have two inter-dependant parts to the game : the well known gather/brew part and an exploration/fight part. Explorers would go to distant and dangerous places to fetch rare ingredients, possibly fighting monsters. Said ingredients would be part of new recipes, brewed by the original staff. These potions, instead of going to clients all the time, could also be given to the explorer team, in a RPGish manner.
That was *one* of the ideas :). Admittedly, I could remove monsters and make exploration more of a... "fight" against natural obstacles (chasms, high mountains, magma pools, trapped places maybe...). But it wouldn't be "no danger" anymore, clearly.

About the MagBou world, I might have mentioned it, it's actually a world I had already created for another project. So MagBou takes place in world "X", and another project of mine does too. That other project is much more shonen-violent, so... I don't think I need to change the world. BUT... if the game was really different from MagBou, I would probably go with a new cast, yes (also cameos would probably be unavoidable :3).

This said, I already have a totally MagBou-centric mini-project in my bag, which is... 75% complete? It's been on hold for quite some time now but it's too short not to be finished *someday*. Expect a bite-sized MagBou experience ^^

Midnighticequeen
Veteran

#237 Post by Midnighticequeen »

That sounds like an awesome idea. I kind of like the idea of rival shops though, that sounds kind of fun and more competitive that way. I think I liked the idea of an rpg like game but would the original characters of MagBou be the ones fighting? I don't really see Framboise fighting bad guys and stuff, no offense or anything.

I look forward to the new MagBou though, since I enjoyed the last one so much. Keep up the good work please 8)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#238 Post by monele »

I planned to include new characters whose profession would be fighting. I actually posted art of one of these ^^. And yeah, Framboise will keep to picking up berries :).

I'm glad to see there's still a following for this game and I hope I can deliver ^_^;

Midnighticequeen
Veteran

#239 Post by Midnighticequeen »

Lol! Calm down! I believe you can do it! The whole point of game making is to test your limits and then expand them! I'm rooting for you!

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#240 Post by Vatina »

Like mikey I really liked the calm and relaxed atmosphere of Magbou. I can't really put my words on it - when the story got dramatic, it was still in a low-level/innocent kind of way. Kind of reminds me of life in this little island town that I live in myself xD Even when things are going fast, it's still slow in the eyes of the rest of the world. The characters were really nice too.

I must say, I also really liked the gameplay. But I don't blame you for wanting to try something else, and I think it could turn out really interesting.