Kohaku's art thread critique/help welcome

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Kohaku
Regular

Kohaku's art thread critique/help welcome

#1 Post by Kohaku »

Hello, I figured it was about time I posted something and what better place than my "art" I welcome any and all help/critique that you can give as I need it :)

So here goes...

What to say ummm....

Not very good with the faces but I keep trying.

Looked at a Andrew Loomis book after reading in a thread somewhere in these forums, kinda getting better

Added the dress after looking at some gothic style on google.

Colouring needs a lot of work but the faces are horrible....

did this last night after hearing aboout the mayan calander world ending...

my faces really need some work, oh the horror....

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Kohaku's art thread critique/help welcome

#2 Post by MaiMai »

I think the best advice I can give at this point is to not focus on any coloring and instead look up some realistic/naturalistic human faces or full body images to observe and draw from. Don't even worry about coloring, you need to really focus on basic steps such as lineart and observing the human body and face.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#3 Post by ebi brain »

If I were you, I'd study Loomis' Figure Drawing book more.
Pay attention to proportion and how the facial features are mapped out on the face ( e.g. right now, the eyes in your drawings are too high!).
Study your own face in the mirror and try to draw that as you learn.

And if you can, take a look at Vilppu, Michael Hampton or Mattesi too. While I don't own their books... a lot of people use them with good results.

Maybe do Scott Robertson's little tutorial on youtube, to loosen up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ckiHpmkoaM

Also, I sort of agree with MaiMai, practice drawing using just a pencil instead of going digital and doing colouring etc.
At least...I find it helps as erasing stuff is a bigger pain than CTRL+Z XD, so you pay more attention to the object in front of you.

Try to get some monochrome block shapes/spheres/pyramics/cylinders and try to draw those. Point a light at them to learn about shading.
Later, you'll find these shapes back in the human figure.

This guy has some neat tutorials too:
http://www.youtube.com/user/moatddtutor ... ture=watch

also:
posemaniacs.com
http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice- ... e-drawing/

To unleash your inner Loomis on. ^
Have fun!

And keep posting your progress here!
Drawing is like learning a language. Stop practicing and you forget.
Try to draw every day!
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

Kohaku
Regular

#4 Post by Kohaku »

Thanks for the advice and I will not colour until I get better at sketching/lineart and can get a better form, I do my pencil work first and when I have an image I like I use my tablet to digitise it as it's the only way I can show my progress as I don't have a scanner.

Thanks again for the great links and here is some more progress, hope you like it.

Hellboy
Regular

#5 Post by Hellboy »

I think the best advice I could give you right now is to structure a little before doing the lineart. It seems like you are trying to get clean lines at once.
Give yourself time to make a simple base “skeleton”, this skeleton will define the proportions and pose.
When you are sure you have that right, sketch the character over it.
The worst thing you can do is overthink it, It will make your art look stiff. Just let yourself go and try to do as many sketches as you can, as fast as you can. That will make you more secure, faster and will give you more natural results too over time. It’s a good exercise. :D
Hide the eraser! Try to use it only when its absolutely necessary.
FREE and easy 3D customization, posing, and animation software with pre-made people and environments:
DAZ Studio Pro 4.9

ebi brain
Regular

#6 Post by ebi brain »

Study Loomis more!
Get " Figure Drawing for all it's worth".

Go to the page where he draws the stick figures style mannequins.
DRAW those stick figures. Copy them until you start to get them right, then apply what you learned there on posemaniacs/ pictures from magazines/ a posing friend etc. ( look at the last page/last post ( dec. 27) in my CA sketchbook To get the idea).

Once that gets better, move on to the more advanced mannequins etc. etc.

And... make more studies of eyes if you want to draw them.
Right now they look like symbols of eyes, not real eyes.

And draw more from life... With simple shapes like I already mentioned.

And if you have a digital camera or can borrow one, just take pics of your drawings ( in good lighting)...
I think it'll be better than what you're doing now.
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

Kohaku
Regular

#7 Post by Kohaku »

Hey! been a while but have been busy as a bee everyday drawing something new and trying out new things and so I thought I would post some of the better ones :D

Be warned pic heavy.

This is one I will definately be going back to once a get better grasp of perspective and making a sci fi style ship.

Reference used in drawing the horse but still needs a lot of work.

Not sure if the lips are to small or teeth to big.

Hope you like and will try and post some Loomis anatomy studies if I can get my camera to take a decent picture of my drawings :oops:

ebi brain
Regular

#8 Post by ebi brain »

It's good to see you back!
I thought you left us! 。・゜・(ノД`)・゜・。

I can't type much but I can definitely see you've been working hard!
Kudos to you for tackling perspective... I keep running away from it :lol:
Can't wait to see your Loomis studies!

Kohaku
Regular

#9 Post by Kohaku »

Hi ebi, yeah sorry for the long break but I kinda get carried away with so many ideas and so little time :D as for the perspective I cheated a little as Corel Painter has its own perspective grid, it really helps at least for a one point as thats about all I can understand before my brain wants to shut down :oops:

Will try and post some Loomis studies tonight provided I can turn the flash off from the camera so they can be seen on the white paper

Kohaku
Regular

#10 Post by Kohaku »

Hope you can see all of these properly as this is the best I could do, these are done from the book Loomis Fun with a Pencil which I started with first before moving onto Loomis figure draw.

not sure why the image has been flipped but I can't seem to fix it as the original is fine :?

Don't know what I was thinking when I drew a head to a blending machine type thing on the right.

some faces that started well and then went down hill.

will post a select few tomorrow as I need to get some zzz's gotta get up early in the morning for some painting and decorating :cry:

Kohaku
Regular

#11 Post by Kohaku »

Just a few more studies :D

Kohaku
Regular

#12 Post by Kohaku »

Haven't done much drawing since the last post unfortunately, but I thought I would try some manga faces only i'm not to sure about them.

So I moved onto seeing how to create materials

Took me a while to draw but I like it

Originally this was just going to be a leg and see about colouring a flesh tone but somehow turned into an arm and then just duplicated over and then created a body to go with it, not completely anatomically correct but I am gettiing there.

falsedelusion
Regular

#13 Post by falsedelusion »

I think your drawing topics are a bit scattered. Which isn't a bad thing usually, but when you're trying to approve, I think it's better if you can focus on one thing first before moving on.
For example, you started out with (i think) realism and colouring, and then there was a few scenery drawings, anatomy studies for a bit, then anime, a sudden skip into shading/volume and then realism(?) abs.
It just feels like you're all over the place. Though do keep in mind I'm viewing all your posted images in one go, so that might also contribute to that feeling.
But honestly, I think if you want to improve on character art, then leave the background drawings for now and focus on characters.
If you want to be able to start drawing realism people sooner, then focus on that. Also, learn proportions/anatomy scale and lineart before jumping into painting/making it look 3D.
You can skip the beginning steps of course, but that's how a lot of people develop bad habits and will end up going back to learn the basics -coughlikemecough-

[what i wrote may not make sense. I havent been getting enough sleep lately x_x]

Kohaku
Regular

#14 Post by Kohaku »

I can't deny i'm a little bit scatty in what I try/draw but at the moment I feel like a kid in a candy shop and all the sweets are free, I just want to try all :lol:

As for proportions/anatomy scale and lineart I am guilty as charged, lineart for one is something I do struggle a lot with but I will knuckle down and put all my effort into realism as out of what I have done so far I liked that the most.

I won't promise not to go and do a bit of colouring from time to time inbetween studies as I have a lot of fun when doing it and really for me brings life to my art but I will try and resist the temptation as thats one of the bad habits you speak of.

I would say watch this space but I could be some time :)

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#15 Post by chocojax »

Here's a small tip on the sphere shadings:
The illusion of a sphere is broken mainly in Marble and Glass. Try to go along with the shape like you did in the Granite/Rock one.