Soul and Heart: Replay [Mystery|Dystopia|KN] DEMO 0.5

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

Soul and Heart: Replay [Mystery|Dystopia|KN] DEMO 0.5

#1 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

"Even though you are powerful in any place in this forsaken world, you are still human."

Ten years before, there was a war between the government and the people of the nation called the Crusade. With the scientific and technological developments of the country, it launches a propaganda to rid the nation of their religious and "pathetic" beliefs on spiritual deities. But mostly of the minor provinces, who clings to this part of their culture to live in peace, were enraged with this decision, and so the bloodshed started to rid the nation of such "heartless" people.

One of the most important military families of Exousia held the most information that keeps the propaganda alive, and with the war brewing, they had a lot of pursuers behind their tails. But one day, they were cornered in the records library, the room that held everyone's intellectual, physical, and emotional information, which was made for medical purposes. In an attempt to turn the room to a sanctuary, the youngest member of the family modified information in the library.

She was successful, but it brought on an unpleasant aftermath.

After that incident, the nation decided to keep everyone back in line by implementing a strict policy against memories and emotions to avoid such incident to happen to anyone, and with their scientific advances, it wasn't hard to do. Changes like yearly memory erasure and microchip implant for information gathering became common, and genetic enhancements became a trend. The results seem satisfactory at first, but then it started spawning "irregularities" among the populace, usually psychological deficiencies that were a lot worse than what they tried to avoid.

Sirius was among those irregularities.

-

Bearing no memories of her past or her family after all those years, which is common after all those changes, she realized she was different when it all started going back to her in short, choppy visions despite the yearly memory erasures. At first she considers these mere products of imagination, but when curiosity and her desire to know the truth got the better of her, she snuck in the records library to see if they were all true.

"I thought you were stronger than that."

That deed was considered information theft, and so she was dragged to jail as soon as the police got their hands on her. After a year of her stay in the prison, she got transferred to a different cell as part of a routine. When she started meeting people she wasn't expecting to meet -- a fellow convict with a strange case and the daughter of the head general among other people -- she realizes that the transfer might actually make things either better or worse for her, for the past seems to creep into the present in a way she didn't like.

----

Comments
As a little something for your support, here's a quick demo! I'm sorry if it's all placeholders (the sprites, the CG sketches, heck even the GUI), I really wanted to show something to you guys. I thought it's the only way I can show something before Christmas, and I really can't rush coloring and shading everything so... here you go! I'll release a longer, more proper demo 1.0 that has proper art and a more proper end, lol. I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed polishing and making everything! :)

----

Download Link
Download Demo 0.5 here! (Win, Mac, Linux)

----

Credits
  • Spritework, Writing, Coding : Lumen
  • CG Sketches : OhMhaiGosh
  • Music: Jamendo (Stefano Mocini, SaReGaMa), Kevin MaCleod (Iunno how to spell this), SENTIVE, Newgrounds (MaestroRage)
  • Backgrounds : mugenjohncel
----

Please tell your comments, suggestions, or if there is any error in the demo. :D
I'd love to hear what you think!
Last edited by Lumen_Astrum on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

Re: Soul and Heart: Replay [Mystery|Dystopia|KN] DEMO 0.5

#2 Post by Coren »

Alright, just finished playing it! Hmm I like how it gives more information than the old version of Soul and Heart. :) Like for example,
I never knew in the old version that Dana (used to be Daena) used to be friends with Millicent. In the old version, it just seemed as if Millicent was a "bad guy" and deserved to be kicked out of her position in the end, and all that, just because she's mean. I'm glad you focused more on more story-aspects in the game instead of having random dream sequences than didn't actually mean anything in the old one, heh.
Some things to note:
- Sometimes, I think you use {w=(something)} and sometimes you use {w}... This gets kind of confusing because when the text pauses, I click again, but when you're using {w=(something)} it jumps immediately to the next line and so I end up missing something.
- The textbox is a bit too low for me - but YMMV. :P
- Some mistakes - "in your shoes" instead of "on your shoes", some other typos here and there.

Good luck with the full version! :)

whitenenesha
Regular
Projects: White Days / Fragile Hearts

#3 Post by whitenenesha »

Finished played the demo! Finally, I've been waiting for this!!

As the fan of Soul and Heart, I love all the improvement; new cell backgrounds, CG sketches (I'm really curious for the full and colored CGs), new sprites and more cheerful-looking Sirius, aww I was hoping that Millicent makes it appearance in demo but--yeah, that can wait, and also
New story pieces about Dana's past and memoria terminology (I will love more terminology and surprise for later on). I never know that actually Millicent and Dana are friends. And looks like Dana actually the bad guy here. If I remember correctly from "Twin Hearts", Millicent has Mae as her split personality, is that related to the war?
Oh yeah, I mostly miss much of the text (like Kirroha said above).

I'll be waiting for the full-version release, keep up the good work!
"Just a lonely story writer."

Fanfiction.net / deviantArt / Twitter
Projects: White Days [KN], Fragile Hearts[VN]

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#4 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

whitenenesha wrote:
New story pieces about Dana's past and memoria terminology (I will love more terminology and surprise for later on). I never know that actually Millicent and Dana are friends. And looks like Dana actually the bad guy here. If I remember correctly from "Twin Hearts", Millicent has Mae as her split personality, is that related to the war?
They were ONCE friends, if you look at that dream sequence properly, Dana mentioned something about hoping that "things get better once they meet again". Psss, guess what happened next. ouo
That's "Twin Faces", not "Twin Hearts". XD
If I answer the bit about Milicent and Mae being related to the war, I'd spoil everyone, so lets just say... maybe. XD
Kirroha wrote:- Sometimes, I think you use {w=(something)} and sometimes you use {w}... This gets kind of confusing because when the text pauses, I click again, but when you're using {w=(something)} it jumps immediately to the next line and so I end up missing something.
whitenenesha wrote:Oh yeah, I mostly miss much of the text (like Kirroha said above).
Aw crap, I guess I'll fix all the pauses. Thank you so much!
Kirroha wrote:
I never knew in the old version that Dana (used to be Daena) used to be friends with Millicent. In the old version, it just seemed as if Millicent was a "bad guy" and deserved to be kicked out of her position in the end, and all that, just because she's mean. I'm glad you focused more on more story-aspects in the game instead of having random dream sequences than didn't actually mean anything in the old one, heh.
It was supposed to be implied in the last version (since Dana is the only one that called Milicent by first name and everyone called her as "Calypso"), but it ended up not being that obvious...

As for the dream sequences, the last version didn't explain much about Dana and Cetus' backstories, so it's just right for me to make that up in the remake. There would be something that explains Calypso's a little, too.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#5 Post by azureXtwilight »

First off, let me just say this. THIS IS WORTH IT.

Everything has been improved greatly, and this isn't the final product yet. The writing flow better, and I have nothing more to say about the art. Simply magnificent. I like your use of cursing. Yeah, that's now normal people curse! :P So her name's Dana now? All righty :3

I would suggest making the lower part/textbox slightly darker, as I have a bit of trouble reading. maybe it's just me. I also have a little tidbit to the position of the text when it got too long, it slightly covers the save/load.etc buttons.

Other than that it looks great! Looking forward to the complete version! :D

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#6 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

azureXtwilight wrote:First off, let me just say this. THIS IS WORTH IT.

Everything has been improved greatly, and this isn't the final product yet. The writing flow better, and I have nothing more to say about the art. Simply magnificent. I like your use of cursing. Yeah, that's now normal people curse! :P So her name's Dana now? All righty :3

I would suggest making the lower part/textbox slightly darker, as I have a bit of trouble reading. maybe it's just me. I also have a little tidbit to the position of the text when it got too long, it slightly covers the save/load.etc buttons.

Other than that it looks great! Looking forward to the complete version! :D
Thank you for your comments, azure! :) Yes, most of the cussing parts in the first version sounded a bit off so I had to do tweaks to make them sound more natural.

I was actually trying to look into the textbox matter. I'll try to fix the darkness, but I don't know if I can deal with the text covering the quick menu issue, since it happens so rarely I don't know if it's worth to tweak the padding hundred of times to get it right for a couple of instances. XD

By the way, thank you for suggesting me the awesome title. OuOI'm a poor "princess" without a crown.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#7 Post by Blane Doyle »

OK so, I have a confession to make.

I can't remember the original S&H AT ALL. I played it, once, way way way back and I know I enjoyed it. But I cannot, for the life of me, remember anything. I think it might have been one of the short games I played when I was on a "I am sick but not that sick, so games" binge last year when it came out.

So this basically me walking in blind, the only thing I am able to remember is "I liked it".

This is very obviously a work in progress, as shown by the sketchy screenshots. So while I want to comment on things like the unfinished art, I know that would be silly because it is UNFINISHED. So instead, I will comment on what we have keeping in mind this will have a massive upgrade: the sketches look good, and they give what I think is the right feeling and tone that you are going for so far. If the final product is anything like what I just finished, then it will work tremendously well.

As for the, what I assume, final art we see: Yes. I like this. I can play this without complaint and enjoy it greatly for how it looks.

Writing: I noticed a few typos here and there. "He ma have though" for example, which I assume is may missing a y. There are also some grammatical errors (for example, the sentence talking about the youngest member of a family modifying a library, it just sounds weird). The dialogue of "me" was also a bit awkward in parts.

But overall? This was very well written. I enjoyed it, and even the exposition was interesting because we're so confused and interested by the time we get to it we want to hear it. And it was so short that it didn't feel like a full on info dump. I liked that. I also got a distinct feeling of foreshadowing. Yes, good, I love foreshadowing.

Speaking of the info we are given, HOLY SHIT THIS WORLD SUCKS. This is a Crapsack world if I ever read about one, I mean seriously, living in the world you are writing must be HORRENDOUS... I LOVE IT~ 8D

GUI: It is very hard to see the buttons sometimes. Maybe a slightly darker background behind them or... something might be good but sometimes they just completely blend into the sprites and background.

There were a couple times when the ADV box text wrapped three times and just started to overlap the buttons. Nothing major, but I think worth a note. Overall, it doesn't get in the way, looks nice and simple, and does it's job. Not amazing, but good.

Music: By far my favorite part after the writing. Nice to listen to, well utilized, and just good overall in my opinion. It help set the tone wonderfully.

Overall: I enjoyed this. Short, sweet, nicely done considering it is a .5 demo, and with what little I remember from the original I think I enjoyed this more.

Now I am REALLY looking forward to the finished product!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#8 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Blane Doyle wrote:This is very obviously a work in progress, as shown by the sketchy screenshots. So while I want to comment on things like the unfinished art, I know that would be silly because it is UNFINISHED. So instead, I will comment on what we have keeping in mind this will have a massive upgrade: the sketches look good, and they give what I think is the right feeling and tone that you are going for so far. If the final product is anything like what I just finished, then it will work tremendously well.

As for the, what I assume, final art we see: Yes. I like this. I can play this without complaint and enjoy it greatly for how it looks.
Majority of the art isn't final; I'm not even sure about the backgrounds because it has been so long since I last saw Mugen since the last BG he sent me. But I'll bug him, don't worry >D
Blane Doyle wrote:Writing: I noticed a few typos here and there. "He ma have though" for example, which I assume is may missing a y. There are also some grammatical errors (for example, the sentence talking about the youngest member of a family modifying a library, it just sounds weird). The dialogue of "me" was also a bit awkward in parts.

But overall? This was very well written. I enjoyed it, and even the exposition was interesting because we're so confused and interested by the time we get to it we want to hear it. And it was so short that it didn't feel like a full on info dump. I liked that. I also got a distinct feeling of foreshadowing. Yes, good, I love foreshadowing.

Speaking of the info we are given, HOLY SHIT THIS WORLD SUCKS. This is a Crapsack world if I ever read about one, I mean seriously, living in the world you are writing must be HORRENDOUS... I LOVE IT~ 8D
I have a confession to make, too: I wrote 75% of the script half-asleep; yes even the bits from the first version. XD I was cramming it, and my mind works better that way and my writing style is better. But the grammar and the typos are the price for it, so I'm not surprised. I'll get an editor once I'm done with the final script.

Well, I love dystopian communities and dark stories. >D
Blane Doyle wrote:GUI: It is very hard to see the buttons sometimes. Maybe a slightly darker background behind them or... something might be good but sometimes they just completely blend into the sprites and background.

There were a couple times when the ADV box text wrapped three times and just started to overlap the buttons. Nothing major, but I think worth a note. Overall, it doesn't get in the way, looks nice and simple, and does it's job. Not amazing, but good.
It has been pointed out several times, I'll take note to fix it. :) So much for the text not getting in the way...
Blane Doyle wrote:Music: By far my favorite part after the writing. Nice to listen to, well utilized, and just good overall in my opinion. It help set the tone wonderfully.

Overall: I enjoyed this. Short, sweet, nicely done considering it is a .5 demo, and with what little I remember from the original I think I enjoyed this more.

Now I am REALLY looking forward to the finished product!
Thank you so much for your support! I'm glad you like it~ :'D

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#9 Post by mugenjohncel »

Lumen_Astrum wrote:I'm not even sure about the backgrounds because it has been so long since I last saw Mugen since the last BG he sent me. But I'll bug him, don't worry >D
Err.. let's just say I've been really busy lately trying to conceal my plans from Lemmasoft and the entire OELVN community but I assure you it had something to do with liquid poop (the only decent plot I can think of) so I've been lying low not even updating my blog but I'm very much just a PM away... Don't PM me in Twitter since I always forgot Twitter had PM system... use Email or Lemmasoft PM since I set my Netbook / Phone to give a really annoying bird song whenever I receive an email or PM from Lemmasoft which is guaranteed to get my attention really fast... Also, I'm going to have to ask you to bug me at least daily so I can remember and insert it in my daily planner... :mrgreen:

And no... don't feel sorry for bugging me... I'm am an extremely busy person so it's only natural I forget a few things here and there trying to keep track of things and I agreed to help you so you have every right to bug me... in fact I encourage you to bug me constantly till I get the job done...

Anyway, now that I've been reminded I guess I'll work on the remaining 4... :mrgreen:

Oh by the way...

Can you replace the Hospital BG with this one? (Check PM for larger resolution)

And since the old BG is now obsolete we will now toss it in the UNCLE MUGEN's free resources thread...
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 03#p246803

Go grab it everyone!... :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Disappears)