The Last 10% is Polish

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

The Last 10% is Polish

#1 Post by DaFool »

I just want to rant.

Attached are two samples from the same Japanese doujin group, one from 2008 and the other from 2012.

... and that's why I'm veering towards cel-shading cartoons or flats, since they seem more timeless. Some anime drawings you can tell are so 2003 by the way they're shaded. (Of course some character design styles are also dated, but in general the more realistic the proportion the more timeless it is).

Of course maybe I'm just envious of the new High Definition with Lighting and Shader Support Impressionism or whatever I want to call it.
Attachments

Paul Mesken

Re: The Last 10% is Polish

#2 Post by Paul Mesken »

Hehe, the picture at the top has the silhouette of leaves in the trees whereas the one at the bottom only has the suggestion of trees and a big flare covering everything.

I can see why it's so popular with artists :lol:

Anyway, I believe it to be just a fad. It will find its proper place in time. I guess it's the same as when the airbrush became popular. Suddenly there were tons of paintings made by the airbrush alone. Now, even painters like Olivia have returned to using the brush and only use the airbrush when appropriate.

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

#3 Post by Geckos »

It also looks like the difference between a sprite and a CG scene.
Image ImageImage

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#4 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

DaFool wrote: ... and that's why I'm veering towards cel-shading cartoons or flats, since they seem more timeless. Some anime drawings you can tell are so 2003 by the way they're shaded. (Of course some character design styles are also dated, but in general the more realistic the proportion the more timeless it is).
It's that way with ANY fad in stylization. For instance, it's pretty easy break down the anime styles by decades - I think I even did it on a forum post somewhere around here. But you can also do the same thing with Western animation.

The key is, like you say, to start from realism and make your OWN stylistic choices. Individual style based on realism is more likely to be timeless than aping the current popular trend in stylization.
Geckos wrote:It also looks like the difference between a sprite and a CG scene.
I've got to agree. It looks like a sprite made to go in front of any environment versus a sprite tailor made for THAT environment. Plus, the two styles, drawing-wise are near identical, with the same facial and hair stylization used. The only difference is the second one has more subtle coloring and has most of the lines knocked out or color-held.

I think the biggest take-away is, "Hey! This doujinshi group got better at coloring!" It personally looks like the same artist to me, just with a refined skill set 4 years later on. The way the lines slope identically in the face, the small flourishes, the way the mouth is formed and framed. Plus the eyes are done in an identical way; down to the way the artist feels the need to add the color striations in the iris.
Of course maybe I'm just envious of the new High Definition with Lighting and Shader Support Impressionism or whatever I want to call it.
You mean the painted illustration look versus the animation on a budget look? I'd say it's a function of the medium evolving. When your game only needs a limited amount of sprites and backgrounds, and artists have easy access to a host of digital tools that can emulate expensive media cheaply, why keep trying to copy a style that was created due to technical limitations, tight TV deadlines, and budget constraints? Why not emulate the manga posters and illustrations done with intricate linework, watercolors, and Copic markers?

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#5 Post by Blue Lemma »

I'd take either one, but the top one does look like less effort. The most important thing to me is that it's consistent within the game.

When I saw this topic, my first reaction was "huh, what does Poland have to do with VN art?" :lol:
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

DeeKay
Veteran

#6 Post by DeeKay »

Either one is fine with me as well.
Blue Lemma wrote:When I saw this topic, my first reaction was "huh, what does Poland have to do with VN art?" :lol:
..Should I say it ? You weren't the only one thinking this way ! ^^'

Have to say though, both girls are blushing and my first reaction to that is :
No.. don't look at me like that ! I mustn't.. stare ! * looks away *
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

Klokinator
Projects: Phoenix Emblem: Heirs to Destruction

#7 Post by Klokinator »

Maybe I'm weird, but I definitely prefer the 2008 style over the 2012 style, there's so many details to look at, it's a much more interesting BG than the 2012, which is just ridiculously colorful. I suppose all those details might distract you from the dialogue but meh, get over your ADHD.
My Visual Novel is titled: "Phoenix Emblem; Heir to Destruction".

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#8 Post by nyaatrap »

There is a group which doesn't change the style over 10 years, but always ranked the top of the market.

1999 (sca-ji):
top.jpg
2010 (kagome):
main.jpg
When I see their arts, I always feel the simplest is the most powerful.