What inspired you?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
yvanc
Regular

What inspired you?

#1 Post by yvanc »

ok, everyone I think in this forum has something to do with making a visual novel or something else. What inspired you guys to go all the way and do all those things? ahehehehe ^_~

Misuzu
Regular

#2 Post by Misuzu »

Well... I tried making my own visual novel, but I don't think its my cup of tea >.>;;...

But as what inspired me and got me into this whole "mess" was the original Kanon anime. Watched it, got hooked, started doing research on it, and the rest is history =D.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#3 Post by lordcloudx »

Narcissu and Until We Meet Again were my inspirations. Of course, I try to include other things that inspired me in the author's notes of my releases
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

Makoto Shinkai and his awesome eroge OPs (Wind, Haru, EF)

NoMoreStars
Regular

#5 Post by NoMoreStars »

NHK ni Youkoso the anime

Go Satou and yamazaki!!

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#6 Post by Hime »

I've always loved both writing and drawing. I can remember how I wrote loooong stories as a kid, and drew some illustrations. I still want to become a writer some day. And art, I've loved it always too, even though I've never been too good at it. ^^; These are probably two of the most important things in my life. If I couldn't do them, there wouldn't really be any point in living. So yes, they're quite important to me, both of them.

And ever since the day I heard what a visual novel is, I wanted to make one, because that would be combining those two passions. Writing a story, giving it illustrations like that, and maybe even having music that supports it... In one word: AWESOME! The only problem was that I didn't know how to make one. So I played visual novels and tried to make one, always failing, and each time when I played one, it made my hunger of making a visual novel just greater and greater. At times, it was almost painful.

So to me, Ren'Py is a blessing, and PyTom is an angel. Because that person and his creation give me the possibility to make the things that I've desired to make for years. To me, my burning passion to make visual novels is one of my biggest inspiration sources. <3 I love it.

Mirielle
Regular
Deviantart: miirne
Soundcloud: mirne-1

#7 Post by Mirielle »

Garden Society Kykuit, Moonlight Walks and Amgine Park.

In order - the first three VN's I played. Consecutively. And I loved them!

And the idea for the first VN I was creating...and still am...

It was a sports carnival and whilst we were having a break from cheering and competing, we developed a crazy idea that if one of us was an evil dictator with a lizardman army, then would we side wih them or against them.

Good times.
Available for voice acting - Please listen to my demo reel!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

My very first inspiration was probably True Love, the hentai dating sim. Then Littlewitch's games (hentai again *cough), uh... And at that point, I just realized that my projects I tried to make as webcomics or RPG games could fit the VN type better.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#9 Post by yummy »

At first, I listened to some music from VNs from I've, then I did some research and ended watching some game openings (farland symphony, kazoku keikaku). My friend recommended me Cross channel and Clannad. It made me think about creating my own anime. The task was too hard because you definitively had to be really good in animation (hence in drawing too, I wasn't as skilled as now then). I decided to create a manga then (you can't imagine how skilled in drawing you can become after taking assembly classes in Japan history while drawing idle things). Sadly, due to school, I had to cancel the project. I heard about Ren'Py through Haeleth (or HP) circle then. There, I decided to recycle my old manga universe into a visual novel.

Even now, I have some projects that lay in dormant states, waiting for people to awaken them...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#10 Post by PyTom »

The inspiration for Ren'Py was a combination of things. First off, it was series like Kanon and Da Capo that got me interested on the bishoujo-game genre. I played a few of the flash dating sims for a while, and then got into the g-collections games, which I liked a bit better. Finally, I wound up here, and found ToL1 and Black Pencil.

I whipped up Ren'Py 1, but never released it, because it could never have loaded or saved games. I then quickly went on to Ren'Py 2 and 3 (the same codebase), started writing a game, got stuck, and left the board for a few months.

A few months after that, I came back and saw people trying to make games with Ren'Py 3. Since 3 was a messy language, I decided to rewrite it from scratch as Ren'Py 4, with a decent design behind it. A community built up around it, I stuck with it, and the result is what you have today.

The inspiration for Moonlight Walks was simple by comparison. I had just read "Marvel 1602", one of the best comics out there, and had read up a bit on Virginia Dare and the legends surrounding her. I was in the shower one morning, and the story of MW (not including ending 3, which was added later) came into my head fully-formed. What you see as the game is my best effort to recapture that original vision.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

e-imi

#11 Post by e-imi »

For me, sad to say, I guess it was the dating-sims on Newgrounds.

However boring they were, I was interested in the idea that there were these games that would simulate life and love. After buying the ToHeart manga because I had that it was one of these games, I bought the ToHeart2 anime.

Let's just say, after that, I really wanted to go and see Akihabara. :lol:

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#12 Post by PrettySammy09 »

My inspiration was definitely the translated visual novels and bishoujo games that recently hit America, such as Hourglass of Summer and Yo-Jin-Bo. I became a super fan of these types of games, and when I found out that I could actually make one, I went giddy.

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#13 Post by kara24601 »

Alot of what Hime has stated also holds true for me , I never wrote really long stories all that much or anything but I've been into writing and art all my life. I don't remember really writing much for myself back then but of course everybody had art classes in school and all that....so , when you think about it , even if we weren't being artistic that much back then outside of art class...we were all writers and artists. :lol:

I grew up watching Anime back when it wasn't as "popular" as it is today and most people probably didn't even know there was a special word for it.

*thinks* Hmm , shows like Sailor Moon and Ako Battle ( Blue vs. Grey or something like that ) had ren'ai or potential ren'ai elements.
Anything like that , plus realizing that there's a a real lack of English language romance ...dating...raising...ect. sims and such...inspires one to want to try and make something themselves. While I don't remember wanting to make ren'ai games all that long , I have wanted to make games in general for that long. Of course , Princess Maker 2 was a biggie in wanting to make raising games.
For me, sad to say, I guess it was the dating-sims on Newgrounds.
omg no way. I mean , they're good for a laugh...but ...inspiration...? ( just messing with you ...seriously though that's amazing somebody could be inspired by those messes and you were... ) :lol:

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by monele »

seriously though that's amazing somebody could be inspired by those messes and you were...
I totally understand how she could : potential. If you've never touched anything else in the genre, you can definitely feel that there's something interesting under the coat of dirt. That is, "a romance game".
It's the same as coming to VNs through hentai games. The more you play them, the more you realize it's actually the medium you're interested in... and then you're happy when you find non-hentai VNs for the first time :)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#15 Post by mikey »

monele wrote:I totally understand how she could : potential. If you've never touched anything else in the genre, you can definitely feel that there's something interesting under the coat of dirt. That is, "a romance game".
It's the same as coming to VNs through hentai games. The more you play them, the more you realize it's actually the medium you're interested in... and then you're happy when you find non-hentai VNs for the first time :)
100% agreed. :P