Adobe is giving away Adobe Creative Suite 2 For FREE

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Lumella
Regular
Completed: Jose Rizal Visual Novel Game
Projects: Last Cycle's Vision
Organization: Unis

Adobe is giving away Adobe Creative Suite 2 For FREE

#1 Post by Lumella »

Apparently, it's true. It's good news! As you may all know CS2 is an older version of the current line of programs of Adobe (know for their Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. softwares)
I believe this is a good chance for artists alike to try out the features of the Adobe's products for free and legally(?) [this is actually a debate atm].

EDIT: I suppose this would be helpful for personal use but commercial use, we're waiting for further announcement.

You can read the article here:
Click Here

As for the download page for Adobe Creative Suite 2: Go here

It comes with a serial provided by Adobe themselves so you can all check it out c:
Last edited by Lumella on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Artist. Indie Game Designer. Graphic Designer. 3D Hobbyist.
My VN Project: Last Cycle's Vision / Status: Slowly Active

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

Re: Adobe giving away Adobe Creative Suite 2 For FREE

#2 Post by teacup »

Wow, that's great. I use CS2 because I got it for free (legally, as a student) and I don't see any need to upgrade because it's great as is. :) I highly recommend it!

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Re: Adobe is giving away Adobe Creative Suite 2 For FREE

#3 Post by Blue Lemma »

Cool tip, Lumella :) Wondering if they'll work on my system (it's a pretty old version) but giving it a shot!
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#4 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Wow. Perfect time for people to jump on board and try out Photoshop in their workflow. For what we do, Photoshop CS2 has everything you need.

EDIT: Autodesk did something similar with its software, letting students download full, free versions with 3-year licenses, but this deal by Adobe is even better, as you get full free versions that never expire, and no student license needed!

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#5 Post by nyaatrap »

Precisely said, it's not free. They make it open serials, but not license.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

nyaatrap wrote:Precisely said, it's not free. They make it open serials, but not license.
Oh, it's free. Trust me, Adobe would not be putting serial numbers next to the downloads if it wasn't. They even removed the requirement to log-in into an Adobe account to access the download page. If that isn't an open invitation, I don't know what is. You just don't the upgrade discounts and support that comes with having a license. But honestly, if you are just using Photoshop to draw and color, you don't need anything but CS2. I was fortunate enough to get CS5 at a steep discount as a student, but this is a great opportunity for young digital artists who couldn't afford professional programs, and now they have a chance to try one of them out without fear of a 30-day expiration date or being a pirate.

Even if you use SAI, it is worth keeping in mind the creator of that program always intended for it to be used in conjunction with Photoshop, and now you have that opportunity.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#7 Post by nyaatrap »

I remember they said it's not free on their site http://forums.adobe.com/message/4974662 - lol why the link is deleted XD.
Though, in their Japanese site, there is officially statement that it's not free http://www.adobe.com/jp/aboutadobe/pres ... loads.html

Lumella
Regular

#8 Post by Lumella »

@nyaatrap

Actually, there was a mishap on the earlier reports. They initially intended that CS2 won't be free, but the story had gone viral saying "it's free". Rather than taking back their word, they just decided to give it away since many people responded about it. xD
ImageImageImageImage

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

nyaatrap wrote:I remember they said it's not free on their site http://forums.adobe.com/message/4974662 - lol why the link is deleted XD.
Though, in their Japanese site, there is officially statement that it's not free http://www.adobe.com/jp/aboutadobe/pres ... loads.html
After further searching, it appears they are NOT giving it away for free, but you are welcome to download it for free without repercussions. Image

Honestly, I don't know what the hell they're doing. They give you an installer, a serial number, and after initially requiring a login to access the content, later after news outlets break the story of the free downloads, they go back and remove the requirement to login or have an account.

Whelp, I guess Adobe is running the biggest social experiment ever, or they're just schizophrenic.

EDIT: Links.

Lumella
Regular

#10 Post by Lumella »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Whelp, I guess Adobe is running the biggest social experiment ever, or they're just schizophrenic.
Or maybe it's a clever marketing strategy to spread Adobe's product even more further xD
ImageImageImageImage

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#11 Post by Pyonkotchi »

so its not free but its free
lol okay

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Lumella wrote:
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Whelp, I guess Adobe is running the biggest social experiment ever, or they're just schizophrenic.
Or maybe it's a clever marketing strategy to spread Adobe's product even more further xD
The whole thing is like a shopkeeper telling you that all those glass bottles of Coke he has on the display stand are absolutely NOT free, but he's not going to stop you or call the police if you take one. Oh, and you can't open the bottles without a bottle cap remover, so he's going to give you one of those for free. And turn and look away and whistle. But the Cokes are NOT free! :roll:

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#13 Post by Anna »

OK, that is highly amusing. Great chance for people to use Adobe products for their projects though :D!

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#14 Post by Blue Lemma »

Well now I'm confused. Can't they just be clear about things?

Oh well, I'm used to GIMP anyway :lol:

(go gimp! go XCF!)
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#15 Post by nyaatrap »

"Please use it understanding you're not having a valid license" XD
It's safe to use it privately. But I don't know it's ok to provide it to your employees or students publicly. I think better not to do.

Anyway, if you're a drawer, it's worth to try at least once. Without knowing Photohsop, you can't tell what is good or not in other tools. Personally, CS2 is the best model in their 32bit products and still good on windows XP. Simple batch action is faster than later models.