NanoReno - 2013

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
CSJ
Regular

Re: NanoReno - 2013

#106 Post by CSJ »

Cheese! For everyone!

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

#107 Post by Geckos »

Reading all these posts is getting me pumped to finish the demo for Jacob's Island!
Good times, good times.
Image ImageImage

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#108 Post by DaFool »

PyTom wrote:I relocated the WIP: NaNoRenO forum to the front page for the next month or so.

WiP: NaNoRenO is something of a mix of the WiP and Ideas forums. People can post their NaNo game while it's still in the idea phase, under the anticipation that it will become a proper work in progress in very short order.
Can we separate out the 2013 Nanorenos from the previous years? I want to keep tabs only on this year's entrants and see how they all pan out, without the clutter of last year's entrants.

DiamondRoseTears
Regular

#109 Post by DiamondRoseTears »

CheeryMoya wrote:I have been planning since last year December and I need to start buckling down to do proper research/story planning. Even though it's a high school game, it's a private school (in America! whoa) with fun and wacky uncommon character types. I've got placeholders downloaded even though they definitely won't fit the bill for the appearances of my characters one bit. If I'm doing a high school game, my goal is to at least not start off being generic.

If I learned anything from last year, it's that you should not improvise and start mapping out the details when NaNo starts. If you haven't already, start planning now. If you have your plot outlined you can jump right into the writing immediately.

Also, for newbies, I think these are the general rules of NaNoRenO:
  • Takes place in March
  • You can only begin actual production of your game in March
  • Brainstorming, plot outlining, character sketches, and anything that does not lead to the direction production of assets is okay
  • Sketches of sprite poses, backgrounds, and CGs is NOT okay
  • Creative Commons material is okay
  • There are no "winners," everyone who manages to release their game on March 31/April 1 has completed NaNoRenO
  • You may release a buggy version of your game by the deadline and fix it up later
I'd actually like to challenge everyone who can't get custom assets for their entry to use the CC stuff on the forum first if possible. The threads there have great stuff, but if you need more things they're over in the OELVN (or do we want to call it the EVN?) wiki's Pre-Made Assets page. Also, avoid Incompetech/Kevin MacLeod! The site may be easy to navigate, but his songs are so overused I swear I will turn the volume off on the next game I play that uses his music (TAM is also a culprit). There's so many other great places like: *waves arms around frantically and disappears over the horizon*
Since I consider of making something for nanoreno, we can use some of the cgs or sprite etc you've posted? Or should we make everything from the start?
D. for: Diamond
R. for: Rose
T. for: Tears

That's what is going to happen if you make a rose made of diamond cry!!

My cover of Winter Blossom by Aoi Shouta (Ai Mikaze, Utapri)
Please listen <3

Co-writer ~ Seasons of Love

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#110 Post by Michiyo6918 »

I have been pretty interested in NanoReno from last year seeing all the participant's product. For my entire like I have never able to finish anything properly, idea keeps popping up and I keep dropping my project. This year I'm planing to join the race and actually try to keep thing short and finish-able for once in my life ; v;

Initially I planned to form a team, but then I got reluctant and ended deciding to work alone OTL I'm so shy from people LOL and I don't want to disappoint anyone. So yeah, 1 man team FTW.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL PARTICIPANTS, THE RACE STARTS NOW!
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#111 Post by PyTom »

DaFool wrote: Can we separate out the 2013 Nanorenos from the previous years? I want to keep tabs only on this year's entrants and see how they all pan out, without the clutter of last year's entrants.
No, I don't want to make a forum per year. In practice, it's pretty easy to keep them apart, since the 2013 threads will be above the 2012 ones.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Klawzie
Regular
Organization: Kappa Creek
Tumblr: klawzie
Deviantart: klawzie

#112 Post by Klawzie »

Sapphi wrote:
Klawzie wrote:The biggest hurdle to me is being too intimidated to start learning to code. So this could be the push I need.
Hey, me too! So don't feel alone, since I am also taking on something that's intimidating for me. We can do it!! >O</
Yay for solidarity! I'm making Lemmasoft forums as one of my homepage links so I'll be constantly reminded to log in every day.

Since it's a few hours off, I think I'll take a bath and then do a story flowchart.

Already, it's gone from "simple three ending game" to one with more endings. (sigh) But at least there's no feature creep yet. Writing is not the problem for me, so as long as I can avoid making this into a game more heavily reliant on features or art (which takes me longer these days), I should be okay.

akizakura
Regular
Completed: Adversity Comp 2012
Projects: Everything's Going My Way
Organization: Mitayume

#113 Post by akizakura »

Good luck everyone!

In the interest of full disclosure, I've decided to do a short project that I have a story mapped out for and two sprite poses for. It will still be a hefty amount of work for the month, but I think it's time to get this project out the door! I searched the Ren'Ai archives and didn't see any games with this name, so here we go!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#114 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

And so it begins. Good luck to everyone, I wish you all the best. Now if you will excuse me, I have a GUI to design *cracks knuckles*

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#115 Post by CheeryMoya »

I woke up at 2AM feeling refreshed but confused as to why it was so dark, so when I checked my phone I got really mad. The neighbors' kids have been screaming since and they're still up. What a great way to start off NaNo :/

Funnyguts
Veteran

#116 Post by Funnyguts »

Whee, my first of two NaNo projects has it's WIP thread! I need to prepare some stuff for the other one now that I've worked out how it will go.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#117 Post by SusanTheCat »

STOP ME!

My brain just decided that I should combine "The Highwayman" and "The A-Team"

Face: Bess, the landlord's daughter
Hannibal: The Red Coat Captain
Murdock: Tim the ostler
B.A. Baracus: The Highwayman

Please stop my brain!

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#118 Post by ebi brain »

I finally have an idea to work with! I can actually do this ( with crappy backgrounds/sprites and writing)!
I knew it'd be good to keep a little notebook with ideas and scenes.
Super handy for Nanoreno ^^

Just hope my RSI won't get in the way.
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

clua
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Stormy Night /The Knife of the Traitor/Charlatans
Projects: The Hurtful Wall /_Salomon/Infurubia
Tumblr: notttt-che
itch: chegovia

#119 Post by clua »

Good luck to everyone, I've saw a lot of threads already!!
I'm eager to see the result of this year :A:!!
♦WIP♦
Infurubia
The hurtful wall
_Salomon

♦COMPLETE♦
+The Knife of the Traitor(Nanoreno 2012)
+Charlatans(Nanoreno 2015)

Dev tumblr
EVN Store

Klawzie
Regular
Organization: Kappa Creek
Tumblr: klawzie
Deviantart: klawzie

#120 Post by Klawzie »

SusantheCat - How can I be expected to help you stop your brain when I can't even control my own?

Hopefully will put up a WIP thread before I go to sleep. (Which will probably be between 5am and 9am central time zone.)