b/w visual novel ?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ihentai

b/w visual novel ?

#1 Post by ihentai »

What you think, is a color pictures in visual novel is really necessary ? Most of the works, even a free one, is a color. But manga is b/w and black&white certainly have a style :)

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#2 Post by lordcloudx »

black pencil is black and white and so is the localized japanese vn soremata ja ne. There were some others I forgot, or were they just demos?

Nice art. I heart hentai hehehe!
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#3 Post by dizzcity »

Metropolitan Blues.
Garden Society Kykuit.

MetroBlues, especially, made good artistic use of black and white to bring forth a mood.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

ihentai

#4 Post by ihentai »

>Nice art. I heart hentai hehehe![/quote]

ihentai

#5 Post by ihentai »

Ok, ok - the people with knowledge says that such (b/w) works exists :)

But the question is actually not about existence, but about is that good to make a bw work or i should concentrate and make a color one.

And about popularity - i know that people on that site is sometimes say things like "the plot is a main part, so graphics not really important for a hard visuall novellist ". So anyway :) :

Will b/w work not be so popular, if we compare it with a color one, perhaps with
a smaller amount of pics...

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#6 Post by lordcloudx »

I don't think people here really care whether it's colored or black and white. But just to be safe, I'll speak for myself. I don't care if it's b/w or colored it all depends on how the entirety of the vn is presented and if the elements are harmoniously organized.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#7 Post by Hime »

Myself, I strongly prefer having the pictures in colour. In general and as an artist, I think colours are one of the most important things in pictures and drawings. You can ruin a good picture by choosing the wrong colours, or you can make it thousand times better and more expressive with good choices. For character art, example, the colours are probably one of the most narrating things in my opnion. They usually tell a lot about the character. But sometimes, black and white also might be the best choice. Partly coloured and partly b&w visual novel would be something interesting as well. In fact, I am thinking about making one of Lux's possible future projects like that... :)

And about manga being black and white, there is a difference. In manga, you don't stare the same picture for a long time, usually for something like less than five seconds actually, so colours aren't really necessary in my opinion. But in visual novels, you might encounter the same art for many times and look at it several times for a way longer total than one manga screen, so having colours would make it something "more comfortable to look at and more expressive".

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

I read about some french film that was rendered in full motion capture 3D then filmed in black and white. Forgot its name

And I don't see the point of it. Too much effort, really.

Black and White is a stylistic choice, it could be a budget choice as well, or both.

But make sure it's a wise choice first. I personally have to think of things in full color...it is rare that something starts out as black and white.

Misuzu
Regular

#9 Post by Misuzu »

In pseudo commercial visual novels, Hotel Dusk: Room 215 for the Nintendo DS is rendered majority in BW. Though it is done for artistic style to recreate the feel of those noir thriller movies of the past.

Jake
Support Hero

#10 Post by Jake »

DaFool wrote:I read about some french film that was rendered in full motion capture 3D then filmed in black and white. Forgot its name
Renaissance?
DaFool wrote:And I don't see the point of it. Too much effort, really.
I think in that case they were going for a very hand-drawn look... even more over-the-top than the Sin City effects. I can't bring myself to call it 'pointless' any more than I can bring myself to call manga 'pointless' when people could just take photographs and use those for the pictures. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#11 Post by rioka »

Making and using black and white art is also a time saver. GSK (Garden Society) was done for NaNoRenO and making things in b/w helped cut down on production time.

As for choosing between color and b/w, you'll have to decide for yourself:
1. Which will present your project better - color or b/w?
2. How much time can you or are willing to devote to your project (or at least the art aspects)? Lots of time = color. Not alot of time = b/w
3. Which will help with the games mood and presentation? Color or b/w?
4. Does it matter if the game is in b/w? Does it matter if the game is in color? (For example, most people will automatically shift their colored games to b/w to present a flashback scene.)

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#12 Post by chronoluminaire »

eclipse wrote:4. Does it matter if the game is in b/w? Does it matter if the game is in color? (For example, most people will automatically shift their colored games to b/w to present a flashback scene.)
Interesting you say that. For the flashback scene in Elven Relations, I naturally shifted the art to sepia-tinged :)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!