Savedata

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
NoMoreStars
Regular

Savedata

#1 Post by NoMoreStars »

Hi i was wondering if it is possible to make save data from a game transferable to another.

Say if i were to make a first chapter of my game and the save data from it releases new options in the next chapter i were to make.....is that possible?

and also if it is possible...is there a way to stop cheeky programmers from changing the script to cheat XDD

Not that im saying any programmers here would dare cheat lol

J13
Regular

#2 Post by J13 »

I remember wanting to find out about this myself some time back, this http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/ref ... stent_Data is in the reference manual. I think this is what you're looking for, though i havn't tried it myself yet.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

I'd be more scared of people changing the whole game by shortcircuiting something like the start label (I don't know if it can happen?) and making a whole other game reusing your assets and claiming it as their own (which would be... partly true). But this should be rather difficult since you'd have to know what to shortcircuit and how to get to the ressource files.
As for cheating... *shrugs*... it's up to the player to ruin his own experience, right? If they go to these length (changing the code), they surely know what they're doing :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Hm...

To communicate between games, I recommend using MultiPersistent data. That format is rock-solid, while the save game format changes often. (For example, I plan to change the save game format in 6.2.0, to support writing out savegames incrementally.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Jake
Support Hero

#5 Post by Jake »

PyTom wrote:(For example, I plan to change the save game format in 6.2.0, to support writing out savegames incrementally.)
Oooh... is this working towards autosaves?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#6 Post by PyTom »

Yes.

I will also need to make saving interruptable, and implement some sort of autosave/quicksave gui. But this is one of the features planned for 6.2, if I can make it work.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by monele »

(For example, I plan to change the save game format in 6.2.0, to support writing out savegames incrementally.)
Still shocked by the time it takes to save? ^^;

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#8 Post by PyTom »

Well, the alternative would be to try to fix cPickle, which lets saving occur much faster, to the point where none of this would be necessary. But a while ago, that was causing a C-level hard crash, which means I couldn't even detect the crash and try to recover.

Ah, the trials and tribulations of being a Famous Game Engine Creator™.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by monele »

Is there really anyone else than you who thinks it saves slowly? ^^;... I've never seen that as a problem, really.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#10 Post by PyTom »

It would be a problem with automatic autosaves, where a slow save could interrupt gameplay.

Actually, I'm now thinking that I may move Ren'Py back to using cPickle. The problem it was experiencing previously was due to segfaults caused by unbounded recursion depth. I think I can fix this, and if I can, it will make Ren'Py saving and loading much faster.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by monele »

Well good luck to you then ^.^