Anatidae [comedy/adventure] [2013] [in regular WIP forum]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Dangertyde
Regular
Projects: Anatidae

Anatidae [comedy/adventure] [2013] [in regular WIP forum]

#1 Post by Dangertyde »

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=20513 <-- new link to current updates

How about a plot synopsis?
You, yes you, take the role of a fully certified psychotherapist. Generally you communicate with your clients, and may even prescribe appropriate medication. One case, however, makes you wonder if you should try something a little more unorthodox...

For a long time, I've been reading visual novels. Some were wonderful, others.... Not so much. Either way, they have gotten me through my down time. In the end, this inspired me to create one of my own, and what better way to start than with NaNoRenO?

I may be busy this month, but I'm determined to see this through! I have a general idea of what I want to write, but we'll see. I'm thinking it will edge on parody, since it's main focus will be making others laugh. I love laughing, and guide dang it, I want to spread that joy!
As the title implies, ducks are involved. I won't say how!

The writing and art will be from me, so that could go either way. My art style isn't really anime, so it may not seem appealing to the majority. I don't care anymore, I will own this look! TT^TT
Using some public domain music/sound effects though.

Seeing as I'm completely new in all this, I'll be stalking these forums and updating if I have something worthwhile to share. I would love any and all constructive critiques, criticism, and/or words of encouragement!

Progress so far:
Script writing- ~12%
Coding- Stuck in a rut
Sprites- 50%
Backgrounds- 95%
Music- 50%

I'm currently deciding if the main focus character should be named after me, (or more accurately my persona; Tyde Waits) or if I should try and be more creative in making this a spanking new character all on his own. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited by Dangertyde on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

thekobester11
Regular
Completed: none >.<
Projects: experimenting renpy as of this moment

Re: Anatidae [comedy/adventure] [2013]

#2 Post by thekobester11 »

Well, good luck making your first VN!
You're making a parody too XD
Can't wait to see the updates.

Dangertyde
Regular

#3 Post by Dangertyde »

thekobester11 wrote:Well, good luck making your first VN!
You're making a parody too XD
Can't wait to see the updates.
Thanks! I'm glad you found some interest here. I'll definitely be working on it over the weekend!
And good luck with your parody, too! BD

#4 Post by Guest »

Alright, I guess when I update, I make a reply rather than edit the main post? Anyways, I've been making slow but steady progress on the scripting and editing. I never knew how frustrating coding can be, especially if I mess up the indentation!

I was thinking of giving a instant hidden game over option in each menu, but it's a little tedious right now. Just a few menus will have that, I think. Depends how much time I have towards the end.

Drew a few sprites of the focus character with his hands in his pocket with different expressions. Will make another set where he looks like the first sketch I posted. Still unsure if I should keep the placeholder name or not. I guess I'll keep it unless someone wants to make a fuss about it, heh.

Anyhow, that's all I've got to say on the matter for now. Cheers!

Dangertyde
Regular

#5 Post by Dangertyde »

Guest wrote:Alright, I guess when I update, I make a reply rather than edit the main post? Anyways, I've been making slow but steady progress on the scripting and editing. I never knew how frustrating coding can be, especially if I mess up the indentation!

I was thinking of giving a instant hidden game over option in each menu, but it's a little tedious right now. Just a few menus will have that, I think. Depends how much time I have towards the end.

Drew a few sprites of the focus character with his hands in his pocket with different expressions. Will make another set where he looks like the first sketch I posted. Still unsure if I should keep the placeholder name or not. I guess I'll keep it unless someone wants to make a fuss about it, heh.

Anyhow, that's all I've got to say on the matter for now. Cheers!
Err, the idiot that is me forgot to log in when I posted that. I'm very sorry for double posting, but I just thought this should be clarified!
Just gonna strategically place this over here...
Quack!
/CRASH
/hobbles away

Dangertyde
Regular

#6 Post by Dangertyde »

Obviously, I didn't get this done before NaNo was over....
There was just way too much chaos going on for me this month to keep myself dedicated to this project.
Initially I thought of scrapping it altogether, but I kind of got attached to my effort. So, maybe I'll post it as a demo or something once I figure that out, and make a new thread somewhere else, to report my progress. Is that even allowed? I don't know. I'll have to look into it. I'll figure something out, for sure.
Quack!
/CRASH
/hobbles away

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#7 Post by arachni42 »

Dangertyde wrote:Initially I thought of scrapping it altogether, but I kind of got attached to my effort. So, maybe I'll post it as a demo or something once I figure that out, and make a new thread somewhere else, to report my progress. Is that even allowed?
Well, I've had this thread bookmarked and I'm still interested in playing it if you finish. I don't think anyone is going to come bite you if you continue to work on this and post a new thread. ^_^
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

Dangertyde
Regular

#8 Post by Dangertyde »

arachni42 wrote:
Dangertyde wrote:Initially I thought of scrapping it altogether, but I kind of got attached to my effort. So, maybe I'll post it as a demo or something once I figure that out, and make a new thread somewhere else, to report my progress. Is that even allowed?
Well, I've had this thread bookmarked and I'm still interested in playing it if you finish. I don't think anyone is going to come bite you if you continue to work on this and post a new thread. ^_^
Ahh, thanks! That's a relief to hear. I'll definitely get a new thread set up, with a small demo by the end of this week or next. You have no idea how happy it makes me seeing someone is taking an interest in this. Your comment strengthens my resolve, as corny as that sounds... haha! I would hug you, if it were physically possible, and socially acceptable in your opinion.
Quack!
/CRASH
/hobbles away