751words

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

751words

#1 Post by xavimat »

Hi!
Two days ago I knew about a page called http://www.750words.com, with an interesting exercise to improve the writing.
I signed up... and yesterday I found that this page is going to be commercial next month :(
So, I decided to make a simple program with some of the functionality of that page (not the statistics, though).
Here's the ALPHA version:
words.zip
751 words (alpha)
(711.29 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
What do you think? Do you find it useful? Do you need some more functionality?
(See the explanation of the exercise in the original page http://www.750words.com)
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

Re: 751words

#2 Post by Reikun »

Tried this out and it reminded me of Ommwriter except without the music and fancy interface. I think the thing that stands out a bit with your 751words program is the calendar and the ability to add users (what exactly is that for?). If the goal is to write 750 (751? xD) words in a day, both Ommwriter and your program would work, with 751words having the added benefit of having a built-in calendar. But in general, all you need for to do the 750words exercise is a word processor/text editor with the ability to display word count and a calendar (physical or virtual) where you can mark if you did you words. Even with a program dedicated to the exercise, it's ultimately up to each individual writer to open up the program and belt out those words.

Note: I am "primarily" an artist. I do write, but I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a "writer" just yet. Not until I've shown anyone my writing anyway.
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by xavimat »

Thanks for the feedback, Reikun.
Actually, it's a simple program to 'motivate' a simple exercise. As you say, the only important thing is to DO it.
I want to add the streak count, which tolds how many days in a row have you done, what is your record, etc. I could add goals, too (monthly, weekly, etc.)
Reikun wrote:...the ability to add users (what exactly is that for?).
Some people can share the same computer... Also, I was thinking on adding a password to protect the users text (not the files where it's actually stored, though).
Reikun wrote:all you need for to do the 750words exercise is a word processor/text editor with the ability to display word count and a calendar (physical or virtual) where you can mark if you did you words...
That's right. Actually, the original exercise is "write three pages a day", and you only need a pen and three sheets of paper ;)

Sabotage
Regular
Projects: Cupcake! [WIP-40%] :: Riddled [Idea-0%]

#4 Post by Sabotage »

I've been a avid user of 750words since last year. I'm getting mixed feelings about their decision to be a paid site. But anyway, this app you made is pretty cool. Kudos on you, mate! I hope it could be extended to smartphone! Now that would be awesome.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by xavimat »

Thanks, Sabotage.
I've made some improvements, like a statistics chart of progress. I'll upload it in a week.
What more features would you like in the program?

About the android version, I'm not sure. I'll check the lazarus forums about it.

Sabotage
Regular
Projects: Cupcake! [WIP-40%] :: Riddled [Idea-0%]

#6 Post by Sabotage »

Welp, a rewards system would be cool. It amuses me to find penguins and turkeys on my dashboard back then haha. But that's optional, of course!

One thing I'd like to ask is the saving. Once you're done with a date, is it archived into the program itself or is it saved as separate files? I'm sure there's dis/advantages to both. So I'm not sure what to ask for.

Hm.. What else. Oh yeah, a peeve I had about 750 words was you can't edit your text. I dont really need to glam them with gradients and colors and art styles. Just simple bold/italicize/underline and a good bullet system would suffice. Having those functions would be enough for me (I used to do my story drafts in 750words but the bulleting was so bad. Furthermore, whenever I look back on my past posts, any kind of bulleting disappears and I'm left with a mess). But I guess, that's what you get for free-form writing? You don't have to take my word for it :D

That said, you have my fully support in this project!

Kunabee

#7 Post by Kunabee »

Hmm, I like this. Very much. I have issues with making sure I write every day.. having something that will make me 'OMG I MISSED A DAY' will help me to make sure I write. Thanks (: