What is your Current and Future Art Style?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Solunar
Regular

What is your Current and Future Art Style?

#1 Post by Solunar »

I'm hoping to expose myself to more styles of art since I don't have the good fortune of an art education. Whether you're a sprite, background or sfx artist:

What do you think your current art style is like?

How would you describe it in three words?

What style or changes in your style do you hope to achieve in future? Or have you achieved your ideal?

If you can, is there an artist or a singular picture you can show to describe the future style you want?

Sorry for so many questions! I'm really hoping to find out more about everyone here.

P.S. If your current or future art style goal has changed, feel free to re-answer the questions again!
Last edited by Solunar on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

Re: What is your Current and Future Art Style?

#2 Post by Alera »

First I want to say that art education, as in going to an art school/university, taking art classes, does not do magic unless you put effort to learn. It's as much work as being "self-thought" in my opinion. You could always find tutorials and online lessons, videos and livestreams and get some 'art education' that way. As long as you practice and work hard, it should work.

About my style now, hmm...I'm kind of liking and enjoying my current style, but I might be forced to change it to something completely different... *sigh* We'll see~
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#3 Post by fioricca »

If you can, is there an artist or a singular picture you can show to describe the future style you want?

I never went to art school myself (I'm mostly self-taught/hobbyist, like the majority of artists everywhere, I reckon), but I'm pretty sure that stylisation is not part of any curriculum. One of the biggest mistakes I've made was to pick an anime style I like and pursue it to the t. The end result is that I'm nothing but a shoddy copy of the original artist. It kinda sucks when others tell you that you have no creativity because you're just a cheap imitation of someone else. This is why studying art fundamentals is important; your own, unique style will naturally come after that.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#4 Post by LVUER »

Solunar wrote:What do you think your current art style is like?
My current style is obviously anime/manga one, definitely moe style that is on trend lately (I draw moe way before the trend... but who cares). And since I really love lolis (see my title to prove that), I draw loli a lot (and as a result, get better at doing it). It's not like I can't draw girls with big breast and curvy figure... it's just it pains me not to draw loli (I'm being serious here...).

I like beautiful complicated drawing and I do want to be able to draw like that... but that's not what I want to achieve. I prefer drawing with simple color and fewer lines but still beautiful and considered an art. I come from manga background. So I prefer my manga to not to have many tones.

For color, my style (and the way I like it) is to have soft pastel like color. Watercolor is also beautiful... but I'm really captivated by the soft pastel color. IDK why...
Chapter 01 - 00.png
Solunar wrote:How would you describe it in three words?
1. Moe
2. Loli
3. Cute
Solunar wrote:What style or changes in your style do you hope to achieve in future? Or have you achieved your ideal?
Speaking about style, this is what I want (I already achieved it). It's a result of years and years of drawing, trying to find "my style". Speaking about technical skill, it's still far-cry from what I'm trying to achieve though...
Solunar wrote:If you can, is there an artist or a singular picture you can show to describe the future style you want?
Definitely this...
Negima.jpg
Last edited by LVUER on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Didn't really get the meaning of the first question
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#5 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

My current style I would describe as semi-realistic fusion between east and west.
http://auro-cyanide.deviantart.com/gallery/

I want to keep the same directional style that I have (and deviate as well, like what I did for The Elevator), but I want to become better at anatomy, expression and achieve the fluidity of life.

There are two artists I keep going back to at the moment because they have things that I want to achieve. So far I've learnt a lot from one of them, and while the other is harder to pin down what I am after, it's very inspirational to look at their works. I tend to pick out artists that do something that I think is important for me to learn, so I often add to them or change them based on what I'm focused on in that particular moment.
http://viria13.deviantart.com/gallery/ and http://phobs.deviantart.com/gallery/

falsedelusion
Regular

#6 Post by falsedelusion »

My current style: fantasy semi-realistic, flat-ish.
http://falsedelusion.deviantart.com/gallery/

What I want to achieve in the future:
http://heise.deviantart.com/gallery/
or
http://sakimichan.deviantart.com/gallery/

At the same time, I want to develop a style that people will see and know it's made by me. For example, if I see Heise's work randomly, I'd recognize it's by her.
Still such a long way to go OTL

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#7 Post by TsukiShima »

Anime style, that's for sure, and I don't plan to go beyond that. Yes, I'm going to learn anatomy and stuff, but I don't think I'll go to realistic medium because of reasons. Just like the others, I don't and never went to art school, and art was never my major thing.

1. Average
2. Cute
3. Bright

The latest serious thing I did oh gosh I've been lazy.

What style or changes in your style do you hope to achieve in future? Or have you achieved your ideal?
I haven't achieved it yet, but I'm on the way. I guess I'm trying to achieve various styles, one of them to make my even more brighter, and do more poses. And I honestly want to get myself into different genres, mostly that would fit slice-of-life and sci-fic.

Recently this :
I've been addicted to this artist's work recently.
I can't begin to tell you how amazing the storyline is and the artwork is just beautifully dark and yet wonderful, all the details and all oh gosh.

Rye
Regular
Projects: : MAlice :

#8 Post by Rye »

Anime-ish, stickman !!! It's hideous /cover face in shame. But meh, I'm just a kid so dum dum dum~
I prefer more colorful and realistic artwork but I never got the chance so ....
Art will be my major in the future. I'm studying art in a school right now.

1. Hideous
2. Cute
3. Stick-man!

I'm hoping for more improve with man's anatomy. And aldult woman. Truthfully, I want to draw animal and mechanic things but it still a dream for me right now. I guess more improve with coloring is the best. And semi-realistic or realistic art is so beautiful!

LEE Sun-Young

http://user.chol.com/~nkine82/aquatop_eng.htm

or

Awesome Takenaka
I'm hiatus from everything for exam... Slow pace on projects. I need to write and draw..
"I'm wearing your granddad's clothes. I look incredible." - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

khnachi
Veteran
Location: Somewhere in those 7,107 islands in the Philippines.

#9 Post by khnachi »

uh..meeeEEh..its fine but not tthat good in my opinion(I still think I can do better if I practice hard enough :mrgreen: )

here's one of my recent drawing...
1. Plain?
2. Shoujo
3. Alright
There's always room for improvement but I think I need to work on my anatomy, shading, perspective, backgrounds and so much more. (So yeah I think I have a long way to go, before I achieve my ideal style. :) )

fma_by_sakimichan-d5xj2jt.jpg
maybe something like this style. :D

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#10 Post by arachni42 »

Solunar wrote:What do you think your current art style is like?
I don't have much of one currently. I've learned a lot of tools, especially pencil, acrylic paints, and Photoshop. I can do realistic things very well using/combining references (figures, faces, animals, still lifes) but it takes me forever. Sometimes I feel constrained because realism is what I've done all my life. I haven't done much digital drawing; in Photoshop I'm best at modifying existing things. I've experimented with anime-style characters and have practiced from references as well as doing some of my own, but I didn't develop my own style... until last week.

I decided to do NaNoRenO, so I dusted off my sketchbook to do some character designs. I realize there are some ways of drawing that are a lot of easier and quicker for me than others. And since NaNoRenO has a deadline, I decided that henceforth, my style is whatever is easiest for me to do! For example, I always found it awkward to draw layered anime hair with dozens of sections going all over the place. I may love art with that kind of hair, but I don't have to draw *my* characters that way. So I didn't. What's easiest and most fun for me to draw is probably unique to me, so I have some confidence that as I practice, I really will discover/refine what my style is.
Solunar wrote:How would you describe it in three words?
1. Traditional
2. Realistic
3. Developing
Solunar wrote:What style or changes in your style do you hope to achieve in future? Or have you achieved your ideal?
I'm still sort of exploring what my style is and isn't. My goal would be just to develop it more.
Solunar wrote:If you can, is there an artist or a singular picture you can show to describe the future style you want?
No; I love all sorts of styles, and there is a huge variety out there. Off the top of my head CLAMP comes to mind for manga/anime stuff, and I have a few of their art books and feel inspired by them, but I don't think ultimately my style will be anything like theirs. I love looking at detailed stuff and can do that sort of thing, but I don't think that's what I should do because I find it tedious. There are a lot of different styles I love to look at, but nothing specific I aspire to.
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#11 Post by nyaatrap »

Solunar wrote: What do you think your current art style is like?
Simple, cute, and amateurish.
A style I'm trying to learn (or imitate or steal whatever) in recent months (means I'm changing it in every years/months) is cygnus:
14174565.jpg

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#12 Post by nyaatrap »

fioricca wrote:One of the biggest mistakes I've made was to pick an anime style I like and pursue it to the t. The end result is that I'm nothing but a shoddy copy of the original artist. It kinda sucks when others tell you that you have no creativity because you're just a cheap imitation of someone else.
I'd say no in the this part. Style is just a frame. Any style can be art or non-art. Some people say a particular style should be the only art, but just ignore them. They are nothing more than cancers.
This is why studying art fundamentals is important; your own, unique style will naturally come after that.
Though yes in this part. Studying art fundamentals is really important.

Zylinder
Veteran

#13 Post by Zylinder »

Semi-realism...?

Inconsistent incorrect mess.

I'm not so much for style as correctness. What I hope to achieve is a better understanding of everything.

... The style I hope to achieve eventually is Amazing and Versatile.

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#14 Post by Nuxill »

Alera wrote:First I want to say that art education, as in going to an art school/university, taking art classes, does not do magic unless you put effort to learn. It's as much work as being "self-thought" in my opinion. You could always find tutorials and online lessons, videos and livestreams and get some 'art education' that way. As long as you practice and work hard, it should work.

About my style now, hmm...I'm kind of liking and enjoying my current style, but I might be forced to change it to something completely different... *sigh* We'll see~
^This is totally true! You only get out what you put in, and if you just go to art school to be able to say 'I went to art school' you're ripping yourself off. Art school just makes it a little easier to get the resources and critiques you need to improve.

I'm pretty happy with where my 'style' is right now, but I know I need to work on drawing backgrounds and making my work look more polished. I wouldn't mind trying to push myself to utilize shapes silhouettes and colors even more too.

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#15 Post by Alera »

Nuxill wrote: ^This is totally true! You only get out what you put in, and if you just go to art school to be able to say 'I went to art school' you're ripping yourself off. Art school just makes it a little easier to get the resources and critiques you need to improve.

Actually Art schools can often be your worst enemy as an artist. You are told what to draw, teachers pretend to encourage you to draw in your free time then critique and hate your personal art, especially if you're drawing in a style they dislike, such as manga for example. You get told you're drawing monkeys instead of humans and that you shouldn't waste your time on that because you'll never be good. Drawing digitally is an absolute NO,because you know, computers are magical and they do all the work for you and that isn't called drawing. So you better sit down, take a pencil and draw pure realism for the rest of your life.

You have to be prepared to go trough a lot of humiliation and people laughing at you and your art and all sort of depressing things like that if you want to go to an art school. Talking from personal experience here.
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)