I NEED IDEAS!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Chairrypie
Projects: Kokoro Double!
Organization: Little Star Productions

I NEED IDEAS!

#1 Post by Chairrypie »

Help! I rly want to try and make an otome visual novel and I tried almost every idea generator I could find but most of these story idea generators are too generic and I specifically want it to be a GxB romance visual novel with a strong female lead. And the visual novel idea generator thingy had too much ecchi, hentai, rape, etc. So please, any ideas?

Lachez
Regular
Projects: Nakajo

Re: I NEED IDEAS!

#2 Post by Lachez »

Oof. That's really tough to just come up with on the spot D:

Do you have any type of setting or theme on mind?

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#3 Post by Kato »

Lachez wrote:Oof. That's really tough to just come up with on the spot D:

Do you have any type of setting or theme on mind?
Open up a notepad and ask yourself questions like the above. There is nothing greater than the:
WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY, HOW formula.

Once you start filling in these details, your story will start to come to life from them. A quick real-time example:

WHO - A teenage girl who has grown up having to live as a thief to feed her younger brother and herself.

WHAT - Girl's life takes a turn for the better.

WHEN - Ancient / Non-Modern times.

WHERE - Egypt

WHY - There is a large line between rich and poor. After taking the turn for the better the girl will need to adjust to her new life, attracting more people (maybe a wealthy man and a poor boy) and changing her personality (for better or worst).

HOW - She stumbles upon some very valuable pieces of treasure. Selling them allows her to rise above the poverty line and become fairly well off. Who's treasure was it though? Will they come after her? Will she pick the wealthy man or help the poor man who isn't so well off? Will her brother like the new person she has become? Will the money corrupt her?

The stories basically start writing themselves. And since you are the 'creator' of the story, you get much more personal a feel for all the characters.

Hope this helps!
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Chairrypie

#4 Post by Chairrypie »

Thanks to my friend, so far I got:
for the MC I got 16 year old girl (so one of the settings is automatically a highschool) who has long brown hair and reunites with her childhood friends which are twins.
The twins: they are the exact opposite of one another and are, of course, bishies. The older type is the cool megane wearing dude that is also a tsundere. The younger is the cute happy-go-lucky type of guy.
Since I'm still such a noob we decided to put only 2 love interests. But besides this info I can't think much about the story...
PS: Thx for the help Kato, I just posted this in case other ppl have some other good ideas besides this one..

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#5 Post by Kato »

Perhaps they can both play on the same soccer team or something. Nothing like sibling rivalry (plus a good way to branch a story here and there) :3
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Chairrypie

#6 Post by Chairrypie »

Nah, I don't want anything sporty much... but when you said "sibling rivalry" there... that might just give me an idea...Image

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by gekiganwing »

Next time you're looking for story starters, try the following:

* Browse the Ideas Dump thread, which has been active for over 5 years. Basically it's a place to get feedback on story pitches, and to discuss plotbunnies that are too difficult to handle at the moment. Take one or two, and give them your own spin.

* While coldacid's generator can be useful, it's not yet possible to filter tags (by character, worksafe mode, and so on). It may be better to just browse the VNDB by character types, or theme, or both.

* Write two lists for your story: What to Include, and What to Exclude. Decide the kinds of characters, themes, and so on which you either want in your VN, or want to avoid. Think about some of your favorite and least favorite stories. I found out about this method from the book No Plot? No Problem!, which was written by the founder of Nanowrimo.

Getting started is step #1. Hopefully the next few steps (writing, editing, bugtesting, implementing art and sound, etc) will go well.

elhlyn
Regular
Projects: Manorialism

#8 Post by elhlyn »

I have infinity many ideas of stories you can write. its a bonus that you're not in to sporty stories (because I'm not that in to it either) so what kind of story genre would you enjoy working on?