Images (backgrounds) disappearing? (solved)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
havenle

Images (backgrounds) disappearing? (solved)

#1 Post by havenle »

hey, noob here, I'm not sure which board to post this on so I just figured this one.
anywho, I'm having this problem where after a random amount of frames, my background image I supplied with the scene code refuses to show up and leaves the checked grey in the background. I supply the right image name, and it works fine at previous parts in the game, but when i get to this frame it just stops working randomly. I even tried to, at that frame, put the same scene code and show codes to make it look the way it should, but that doesn't even work.
Can someone help? Has someone experienced this before? Thanks in advance!

okay, so I concluded it was something wrong with the certain image, since all my other ones work when I plug them into the code at that specific point.
Last edited by havenle on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Images (backgrounds) disappearing?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

Are you sure you're not "hiding" anything? Maybe it would be better if you put the code excerpt from where it disappears.

havenle

Re: Images (backgrounds) disappearing?

#3 Post by havenle »

SundownKid wrote:Are you sure you're not "hiding" anything? Maybe it would be better if you put the code excerpt from where it disappears.
nope, I'm sure. I just tried editing my image in GIMP to see if I had the alpha channels messed up or something, but the image itself was perfectly fine and it wouldn't make sense why the image would work fine earlier in the game.

Code: Select all

scene lee bedroom empty
    show ola smirk
    show lee shirtless at right
    show lucaoldergrin at left
that's what i have put in and my background still doesn't show up. Could this just be a bug or am I just making a silly mistake I just can't find? If you need me to supply more code just ask.

apricotorange
Veteran

Re: Images (backgrounds) disappearing? (solved)

#4 Post by apricotorange »

Your background is being hidden because of the way you're naming your images. Specifically, RenPy thinks "lee shirtless" and "lee bedroom empty" are variants of the same image "lee". See http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/quickstart.html#images .