no-one has to die. [mystery] [PLAY ONLINE NOW]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

Re: no-one has to die. [mystery] [PLAY ONLINE NOW]

#16 Post by kaleidofish »

Congrats on all of the various features your game has been getting! I just finished playing it. As a huge fan of the Zero Escape series, I really liked this one. I even got a few friends to play it and they liked it as much as I did (if not more, ha). Love the mystery behind it. Very intriguing. The story itself made me forgive the simplicity of the puzzles.
In defense of the simplicity, however - I think that made things even more crushing. The solutions were easy, but the aftermath wasn't...especially clicking "next turn" over and over again until the flames consumed someone. So I do like that it was simple for that reason.
Good job. Curious if you plan on doing any non-story bonus puzzles (somebody on one of those pages was wondering that, I think).
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

StuStu The Bloo

#17 Post by StuStu The Bloo »

Thank you very much! I'm glad you and your friends enjoyed it, and thank you for spreading the word! I agree, I'm a big supporter of simplicity and minimalism. No plans for bonus levels so far, but you never know!

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#18 Post by Ran08 »

I think this is really interesting! (Although based on the comments, I fear this might be sad. Huhu.)
Gotta try this out!

Edit:
Oh my gosh, that thing at the end, the one about the cockatiels... I think my heart stopped beating for a second. :o
I was really having a hard time with the final part because I was trying to save them both, which I realized... was kind of impossible. Haha.
Well... I sort of looked here in this thread and saw that the other comments said that the puzzles were quite simple. I was like, "Simple?" Ugh. I feel stupid. Lol. But I really did try to save them all. *sigh*
Oh, and I got Steve's end. I'm gonna keep playing to try and get the other ends. I don't feel satisfied yet. Wahaha. :) Gotta learn more!

StuStu The Bloo

#19 Post by StuStu The Bloo »

Thanks so much! I'm so glad you're enjoying it! I'm glad you found the decisions hard- that's the idea. :) The mystery isn't solved until you find all the endings.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Ran08 »

Eeeeek, is there a guide? Hahaha. Pretty please? :)Hint! Hint! Hahaha. I've forgotten how to save them. Lol. Earlier I managed to save Steve, but now I keep killing them both. Lol. What's wrong with me. XD -___-

StuStu The Bloo

#21 Post by StuStu The Bloo »

Move Steve up to the switch and remember when to turn it off!

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Ran08 »

Ahh, thank you so much! I didn't know the water could stop. Lol. XD
It was so good! I finally got all endings! <3 I love the concept of time travel. Time traveling has always been one of the best topics for a story for me. :) I just love it. The best ending for me is still Steve's though, and honestly, I sort of don't understand Lionel. Wahaha. But... I really like it! I was just a bit disappointed with Christina at the end. Hmph. :( Poor Steve. I hope there's a sequel to this! :p Hahaha! :))
Anyway, congratulations! You did a great job here. Looking forward for more~

StuStu The Bloo

#23 Post by StuStu The Bloo »

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'll definitely have more games in future ^.^

Jinglestan
Tumblr: jinglestan
Deviantart: jingleshinpu

#24 Post by Jinglestan »

I loved the game! The puzzles were a only mild challenge at first but i really liked the tree setup you had for the endings.
Also the story was great! nice twist! ^o^

StuStu The Bloo

#25 Post by StuStu The Bloo »

Thank you very much! ^.^ I'm glad you enjoyed it!

StuStu The Bloo

#26 Post by StuStu The Bloo »

THINGS ARE CRAZY.

In no particular order:

Thank you to PCGamer for including no-one has to die. in your weekly Free Webgame Round-up!

Thank you to ridiculously popular LPer NorthernLion for your video!

Thank you to insanely talented IF writer Emily Short for your opinions on no-one has to die.!

Thank you to FreeIndieGam.es for yet again featuring my game!

Thank you to JayIsGames for your very generous review!

Thank you to everyone who has tweeted about the game, or done Let's Plays, or upvoted on Reddit or shared on Tumblr or posted on FaceBook, thank you to everyone who's written about the game and thank you to everyone who's sent me messages about it. If my first game this year was a dream, I don't even know what this is.

StuStu The Bloo

#27 Post by StuStu The Bloo »

no-one has to die. has placed first in clay.io's Got Game? competition! Woah! This entire thing has been a dream. I'd like to thank artist Cindy Xu and musician Jesse Valentine for their great work on this game, as well as everyone who's helped get this game out there. You're all beautiful!

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#28 Post by Blue Lemma »

Cool game, oh Bloo one :)

Nice and compact and satisfying. I can see why you won an award! Thanks for sharing :D
Okay, okay, I know no one HAS to die, but can we kill Christina? Please? Her mom volunteered didn't she? Was she deceived (did I miss something?) Christina is the root of all the arson and death, so no sympathies from me. The simulator program is so anal about saving everyone you can :P
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#29 Post by Laniessa »

Oh, wow, what a charming game! The simplicity, the direct way of writing was really nice, and I liked the idea of text boxes.

The art was fitting - but I can't sing enough praises for the music. Perfect mood making. I was actually feeling quite scared while I had to make the choices.
The gameplay was simple, but it was almost mocking - a simulation, with blocks and simple movement of fire and water, showing people dying.

I honestly fell in love with the fact that it was on time-travel though. (It's one of my favourite concepts.) It was a bit expository at the end, but I didn't mind!

I wish it had more Steve in it, but I guess he's somewhat less involved.
Regardless, I love it!

spicaduciel

#30 Post by spicaduciel »

Well that is a funny game to play to, thanks to the multiple ends ( Dear, do I need to tell how this gameplay system makes me happy ), and I like some musics themes too.