The Ren'Ai Archive (renai.us, RAA) all-in-one thread

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: The Ren'Ai Archive (renai.us, RAA) all-in-one thread

#196 Post by PyTom »

Okay, give me a day or so, and I'll throw together a page on the community wiki explaining how to add a game to the site.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#197 Post by Samu-kun »

Yosha. If it's not too difficult I could add a game every now and then. ^_^ It's just that I have a really big fear that I'll end up screwing up and crash the entire site... *seriously the stuff of his nightmares* >_<;

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#198 Post by PyTom »

Okay, I've written up the instructions and posted them to:

http://wiki.renai.us/wiki/Adding_games_to_Renai.US

if Jake and Samu-kun want to PM me with the username and password they want to use for the archive, I'll go ahead and add them.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#199 Post by Samu-kun »

Mmm... Well, it doesn't look as difficult as I thought it would be. ^_^ It doesn't sound that much different from setting up a blog or an Invisionfree message board. I honestly thought it involved entire screens of HTML or something... XD I think I can handle this much.

Ren

#200 Post by Ren »

I still have to check a couple of games as it seems I tried a couple which aren't final(those can't be included as they are right now, correct) and another one has been changed so I have to check the new version...sorry for the lack of updates lately, this past couple of weeks have been a bit hectic and I thought it wouldn't have been good to add games without looking well for bugs.

@Jake:you're not alone :P

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#201 Post by Samu-kun »

Okay, I think I'm all good to go. ^_^ *checks to see what's around*

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#202 Post by Samu-kun »

Mmm... It looks like we haven't gotten any of the NaNoRenO games up there yet. :3 I'll see what I can do about it.

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#203 Post by Samu-kun »

Mmm... I've asked permission in all the games that I've played. *hopes he isn't doing anything wrong so far* XD

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#204 Post by musical74 »

I have run into an odd problem when downloading from the archives...

I use Flashget to ndownload things. However, when I am downloading a game from the archives and want to switch from the page where I was at to a different page I get this error, and it's ONLY when Flashget is loading something so it's Flashget-specific I think....

Service unavailable!
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 503
renai.us
Wed Apr 16 00:11:06 2008
Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) DAV/2 SVN/1.4.2 mod_fastcgi/2.4.2 PHP/5.2.0-8+etch10

why would downloading something with Flashget give me this problem? Once Flashget's done, it's fine again...is this a screwball glitch?
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#205 Post by PyTom »

I have renai.us set up to limit the number of times a single client can download from the server. If flashget is set up to download in parallel, disable that.

For a while, the server was being overloaded by clients opening 20+ connections for the same file. That's unfair to other people using the server, and wastes server resources. The server currently blocks people who try to open more than a few connections at a time.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#206 Post by mikey »

I have just received the permission for RAA to mirror Happy Happy Halloween and Threed's Heroes. Yay! I'm happy, because this was the only "waiting for" on my RAA list (a page or so above) before the LSF@PD period ended, so I'm glad we got it and everything is closed - so I give this permission into the hands of the new editors now.

josh
Completed: Threed's Heroes and Happy Happy Halloween
Projects: Yotsuba&! Kinetic Novel, Other Projects.

#207 Post by josh »

Anyway, sorry about the late permission reply! :oops:
(Do you need the Linux or Mac Versions?) :mrgreen:
"My Name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look On My Works Ye Mighty And Despair!"

Samu-kun
King of Moé

#208 Post by Samu-kun »

Murr... I seem to be having a small problem with uploading games into the Archives. When I'm uploading a game, my Internet seems to crash whenever I try to open open another website in another window in Internet Explorer. It's not a big problem, but it is kind of irritating that I can't look at other websites while I'm uploading games. If I run internet diagnostics while this is happening, Windows detects no errors and reports that the Internet is working fine. Also, the only way to restore the Internet is to manually reboot the modem box and the wireless router. (aka. pulling out the power cord and putting them back in. >_>) Restarting the computer, turning the wireless reciever on and then off, or repairing the connection via the Network and Sharing Center dont work. -_-;;

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#209 Post by LVUER »

Samu-kun wrote:Murr... I seem to be having a small problem with uploading games into the Archives. When I'm uploading a game, my Internet seems to crash whenever I try to open open another website in another window in Internet Explorer. It's not a big problem, but it is kind of irritating that I can't look at other websites while I'm uploading games. If I run internet diagnostics while this is happening, Windows detects no errors and reports that the Internet is working fine. Also, the only way to restore the Internet is to manually reboot the modem box and the wireless router. (aka. pulling out the power cord and putting them back in. >_>) Restarting the computer, turning the wireless reciever on and then off, or repairing the connection via the Network and Sharing Center dont work. -_-;;
I also used to have the same problem, where the internet explorer seems to make my computer crashed. Try other browsers like Firefox or Opera. The best thing is they are free!

Jake
Support Hero

#210 Post by Jake »

Samu-kun wrote:Murr... I seem to be having a small problem with uploading games into the Archives. When I'm uploading a game, my Internet seems to crash whenever I try to open open another website in another window in Internet Explorer.
Off the top of my head, one possible reason for this is that you're saturating your line with the upload, and breaking the TCP stack in your router or modem somehow.

An internet connection is basically comprised of two channels - the upstream and the downstream. One sends information to the internet, the other takes information from the internet. The curious thing is that they are commonly different speeds - for regular web browsing you only ever need to send enough information out to request the right page - the URL, your address, any request parameters - and the web server then knows enough to send that data - a much larger amount - down to your computer. So it's quite common for the upstream to be a tiny fraction of the speed of the downstream, because most people don't need to send stuff up.

However, when you're uploading something, say to the RAA, you're using up all of the available upstream for your upload, so there's little space for other traffic. The thing about TCP connections (e.g. those connections to websites, or to download files) is that they are kind of self-aware, they track whether the connection's open or not from end to end by monitoring the packets that go by. Your router will have to convert your single internet IP address into potentially multiple local-network addresses (because you can have more than one PC on the same internet connection) so it has to intercept and translate the TCP connection by a process known as 'NAT'. However, when you're saturating your upstream with a big file upload, sometimes the keepalive packets for other TCP connections (e.g. your requests to other websites) will get lost and those connections will break.

In a robust system, this isn't a problem - it just means that you can't browse the web while you're uploading a big file because you won't get any results (or the response will be very slow). I'm guessing that your router perhaps isn't that robust, though, if the trouble persists after the download finishes - it seems possible that it still thinks it's got these half-open TCP connections and it's refusing to start any more until they've been cleared (this is not an uncommon approach), but for whatever reason it's not marking them as dead and clearing them out. Windows won't be able to report any problem, because as far as it's concerned the connection is between itself and the router, and that connection's working fine - it's the connection between the router and the internet which has the problem.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found