All ages F/SN?

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
akizakura
Regular
Completed: Adversity Comp 2012
Projects: Everything's Going My Way
Organization: Mitayume

All ages F/SN?

#1 Post by akizakura »

So the Fate anime has been pretty interesting so far, so I was thinking I might buy the game, but I heard it has some H-scenes and for someone who's never bought this kind of game before, I was wondering, how bad are they and how often do they occur? Does anyone know if there's an all ages version?

GLACIER
Regular

#2 Post by GLACIER »

Only the new PS2 version is all-ages.

akizakura
Regular

#3 Post by akizakura »

The PS2 port is all ages? Sweet, thank you!

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#4 Post by Enerccio »

what you have against hentai?
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

akizakura
Regular

#5 Post by akizakura »

Nothing, it's just not for me! ^^

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#6 Post by mikey »

Enerccio wrote:what you have against hentai?
Against hentai in stories? This.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Adorya »

Though the ps2 version is all-age, you have scenes replace the ero ones flirting at the limit of the reasonable (the funniest one is the one flagging Rin officially as a bisexual) ;)

GLACIER
Regular

#8 Post by GLACIER »

They definitely could have gone further in terms of mature content. However, I suspect that Kadokawa probably wanted a 15+ rating.

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Enerccio »

mikey wrote:
Enerccio wrote:what you have against hentai?
Against hentai in stories? This.
And?
For me it is
Bad story + 0 eroge scenes = bad game
Bad story + eroge scenes = medium eroge game
Great story + 0 eroge scenes = great game
Great story + eroge scenes = best game (Like Tsukihime for example)

Raikiri
Regular

#10 Post by Raikiri »

Enerccio wrote:For me it is
Bad story + 0 eroge scenes = bad game
... I think I can agree with this. As shallow as it may sound, for me, sexual content always makes things more interesting to watch/read. Not (only) in the way of fapping material, but when it's done right, it may also lets you view the characters in new light.

As much as I love Ever 17 (which I certainly do), I can't help thinking that adding sex scenes could make it even better, provided that they were well written and not simple cut-paste works from, say, a generic G-Collections game. I think that the characters in a story are often much more interesting than the story itself, and giving your characters new ways to interact with each other could prove to be advantegous in the ways of making them "deeper" and more believable.
Lucifer status:
It Will Be Done When It's Done™

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Adorya »

Tsukihime is a bad exemple of the great story + ero = best sell because the ero scenes are very awkward (that is why translator even got confused when they did the conversion). I would rather point out FSN which is a bit more credible (even though mana transfert is quite a lame excuse).

I would say
great story + well integrated ero scene in the story + gameplay = best sell
but oh well you can't have it all :D

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by mikey »

Adorya wrote:great story + well integrated ero scene in the story + gameplay = best sell
I wouldn't take ero into the equation at all times - while I'd probably agree that the best VNs should have a great story, I can't agree that the best VNs must include sex. There can be stories that don't focus on relationships - you can have a gripping political thriller where sex wouldn't be of interest to the story at all. So maybe "if needed, well integrated ero scene in the story"?
Enerccio wrote:Bad story + 0 eroge scenes = bad game
About classification, I would distinguish between "game" and "ero game". You can have a
- bad, medium, great and best game (with this, a VN in general is probably meant), and you also can have a
- bad, medium, great and best ero (sex) game.
So the components and outcomes of the equations aren't really logical. What those 4 equations do tell is that you are a fan of well-placed ero scenes.

This is for a dedicated topic, and it's a very debatable subject, but if you needed to identify components by which to judge certain game categories, the standard equation (more or less the outline of a typical review) would look like this:

- story + art + audio + direction = (bad, medium, great, best) game

As I said, it's debatable anyway, and you'd want to throw in timing, audience, genre (here we could have "ren'ai" or perhaps "sex" in the genre-way), vision, expectations, and a million other things that aren't quantifiable in the first place.

EDIT: Ugh, I hope this doesn't sound aggressive, I'm just really very much into structured things. And it's 2:30 a.m. :(

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Enerccio »

mikey wrote:
Adorya wrote:great story + well integrated ero scene in the story + gameplay = best sell
I wouldn't take ero into the equation at all times - while I'd probably agree that the best VNs should have a great story, I can't agree that the best VNs must include sex. There can be stories that don't focus on relationships - you can have a gripping political thriller where sex wouldn't be of interest to the story at all. So maybe "if needed, well integrated ero scene in the story"?
You didn't get the point ^^

Point was that if there is game with excellent story and same game with excellent story and eroge, then the second one is better ^^

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by mikey »

Enerccio wrote:You didn't get the point ^^

Point was that if there is game with excellent story and same game with excellent story and eroge, then the second one is better ^^
To me this is a personal preference - similarly I could say: if there is a game with excellent story and the same game with excellent story and gore (blood etc...), then the second one is better.

What I (and IMO also Adorya) was trying to formulate was a general observation that good games have their content well integrated into them.

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Enerccio »

mikey wrote:
Enerccio wrote:You didn't get the point ^^

To me this is a personal preference - similarly I could say: if there is a game with excellent story and the same game with excellent story and gore (blood etc...), then the second one is better.
Sure second one is better as long as that gore is fitted in game... :)