Minigame Suggestions?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
TheSweetestNightmare
Regular
Completed: None
Projects: The Catalyst(Failed Attempt), Heart of the Ocean

Minigame Suggestions?

#1 Post by TheSweetestNightmare »

Just so you know, I'm kind of a newb at using renpy. I want to know if there is any way to create a first-person shooter mini game for the visual novel I am working on, but I have no idea where to begin. I was thinking something along the lines of an imagemap with a cursor that looks like a scope. Any suggestions?

Delta m.m
Regular

Re: Minigame Suggestions?

#2 Post by Delta m.m »

this post might be a bit old, and I don't know why it's not answered, but seeing that your last post is at may 25 I think you're still around.
I'm new to renpy too, so I can't say I know that much, and I don't know what level of first person shooters you're looking for, but it's possible (worst case scenario you can use python)
so for a static image with targets I think:

first you need the cursor, here is something that might help you:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... flashlight
there "TrickWithAKnife" used a large black Image with a transparent circle in the middle, you can use a large transparent image with a crosshair in the middle and, and he made it move with the mouse.
and then you need the targets, now I think I heard the word "hotspots" multiple times, and I think it refers to a spot (or maybe image, I don't know) that dose something when you click it, and I'm not sure if it's done with renpy or programmed using python.

as I said I'm very new to renpy and programming too, so I'm not sure, maybe you should talk to a more experienced renpy user, or a programmer and ask them for help :)

Edit: this might help too:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=20703
also about the cursor
:)

TheSweetestNightmare
Regular
Completed: None
Projects: The Catalyst(Failed Attempt), Heart of the Ocean

Re: Minigame Suggestions?

#3 Post by TheSweetestNightmare »

Thank you so much, Delta m.m! This would have worked really well, but the game this idea was planned for has been canceled. I actually did end up doing something similar in my current project though and these topics did help. Also, I'm sorry about taking so long to reply. I don't exactly have the best internet access so when a post of mine goes unanswered for a good while, I don't check back often.
-Sincerely, Faith